Monday, December 28, 2009

Seasons Change, People Change...

I chose this post for two reasons: 1) my birthday is coming up and I get antsy about getting "older" (though I prefer it to being dead and 2) Harry Potter is mentioned. Oh, and it's an awesome post, obviously.

And without further ado, here's the Loader!

Seasons Change and So Do I



Welcome ta Fall, mates! Well, nearly there. I was thinkin’ a decoratin’ the ship with pumpkins and autumn leaves scattered about, hang up some flickerin’ lamps and invite some black cats aboard. After all, what is fall without the advent a’ Halloween!


 


But Hel said flickerin’ lamps be a fire hazard. And Terrio vetoed the leaves, sayin’ we’d have ta buy a rake. (Personally, I thought the romantically inspired pirates would like a rake or two aboard… *g) Sin were all fer the black cats, said the undead monkey was gettin’ hungry. Santa thought the pumpkins were a fine idea and muttered somethin’ about pies…


 


Marnee didn’t like me idea a fake spiderwebs, said they might attract the real sort. Hal vetoed me quoting Edgar Allen Poe or invitin’ ravens on board cause a’ the mess. Lisa felt the faked bloody bandages were too over the top.


 


Sigh.


 


That’s all right by me. I can get along with jus’ the feelin’ in the air right now. Ever notice how the air changes as autumn slides inta the skin? It ain’t jus’ the anticipation a’ trick or treat and bags a’ candy. Or the spices of pumpkin pie floatin’ on the air outta Santa’s kitchen…or the knowledge that December be next on the calendar.


 


Autumn, fer me, is about longin’ ta rest and gathering the harvest a’ the year behind me. It be about harboring energy and preparin’ fer the long nights a’ tellin’ stories around the campfire while the winter roars outside. I love the way the light changes as the sun slides lower on the horizon. The smell a’ the first rain (granted, lots a’ ya known rain all year, but not here in California.) We don’t get hillsides full a bright fall leaves. We get a tree, here and there, that surprises up with a blast of orange or red.


 


I walk down ta the bluff and look out on the Pacific and it be all steel grey, pelicans keepin’ low…


 


There be a sense a’ anticipation in the autumn. I’m not a great fan a’ the major holidays a’ the year. They go ‘gainst me grain. We should be huddled before a fire, tellin’ tall tales and sharin’ brisk nights wit’ loved ones. Not runnin’ about tryin’ to find the perfect gift fer the new great niece/nephew who won’t even care about who I am or what I send.


 


So, seasons change and I find meself thinkin’ ahead ta the next year and behind ta the last year. Gatherin’ all the great things I learned and considerin’ how ta weave them inta me tales, told before the great fire. Tellin’ stories about where I been and where I be goin’. More than any other time a’ the year, this be the time a’ Sleepy Hollow and Headless Horseman, the closin’ of doors and the openin’ a the imagination. Ghost stories on cold nights. Tim Burton.


 


We be mammals, despite all our battles ta be more. And hibernation be buried in our DNA. Ta dream deep dreams and incorporate what got away, what we caught, what tasted best, what nearly killed us.


 


So, I went ta Nationals. I met Terrio, J Perry, Santa and others. I laughed, I stuck foot in mouth at least once. I went ta RT and pitched ta Tor, Kensington, Sourcebooks and Crescent Moon. I took a class at RT that made me angry and I wrote a letter ‘bout why…got me nowhere, but I had ta write it. I may pay fer it come next April.


 


I stayed away from home and took care a’ me Mum fer three weeks. My DH lost his job and got another one. I got a dog. I gained weight…(sigh.)


 


And were invited ta be a blogger on the Revenge…(yippee!)


 


So much stuff ta wind inta me winter tales. I anticipate fall more than I do spring. I plot and plan in the fall. I reflect and recall. And I write. More than any other season, this be mine. I even clean me house in the fall. And fix up the yard. Spring is not my active season…


 


*shrugs


 


Favorite Harry Potter movie? The one where the tree reflected the change of seasons and the passage a’ time. Evocative, loverly. Poignant. Love the bits in Practical Magic that show the seasons are changin’… They plant, they harvest, burning leaf pile… Sigh.


 


As fer me changing. I be in constant flux. I were inspired by several a’ our guests this year. I want ta get the fun back inta me writin’…stop strivin’ fer anything more than entertainment when I write. Ta tell me tales around the fire with a gleam in my eye, tossin’ in the occasional “Bwah ha ha!”


 


I’m not givin’ up on bein’ published, but I’m open ta what the wind might blow me way. Including some new ideas. Anyone heard a podcasting?


 


 


Do ya see change in yerself from this last year? Ya plant any seeds that are bearin’ fruit? Have ta fight off pests too much? (The Kraken is still behind the ship…he loves pests!) Any new discoveries that yer cradlin’ ta yer chest as the wheel a’ the year turns? Any favorite uses of seasonal changes ya see in the cinema or books?


 


More than spring, fer me, Fall is the season of anticipation. I have no idea why, but I swing with it.



29 comments:

2nd Chance said...

Uh. Wow. And...thanks. I'm honored. Makes me think about how stuck I've been. Sorta got stuck in lettin' the reflectin' sendin' me inta a daze which involved gettin' nothin' done...

Good ta see this again and makes me consider more a' the pluses from the last year. There be more a' those than the negatives. I jus' lost focus these last few months...

I really needed this, Hellion. Gracious thank you!

2nd Chance said...

I really did love that tree scene in the Harry Potter movie...just loverly...

Marnee Jo said...

I liked the tree scene in that movie too. That's the third movie, right Hells?

Changes in me, huh? Well, I think I'm a little less frilly in my writing. The book I wrote last year was a little wordier. This one was a little better than that.

I know I've learned a whole bunch more about writing this year. But I'm having a hard time pinpointing what exactly. I just feel like I've come a long way again.

Great blog!

Bosun said...

Fantastic blog and the perfect time to bring it back. Good choice, Hellie, and well done, Chance!

I've hit one of my moods where I'm considering making a major change. Which for me means moving across state lines. No idea why I get this wanderlust. I keep thinking I'll keep moving until someday I find the place where I belong. *sigh*

Ambition been getting the best of me, which has a bit to do with it. So to preserve my sanity and that of my child, I'm trying to focus the ambition into the writing. Created my first storyboard last night and fell in love with the process. Still needs more work, but it's coming together!

Hellion said...

2nd: my good woman, don't reflect 24/7. Socrates reflected all the time and was a brilliant philosopher, but it was Plato who wrote down all his ideas. Nowadays, it's hard to find a good disciple who will write down your brilliant ideas but not claim them as his own--so it's better if you do it yourself. You can do it.

Hellion said...

Marn: Yep, 3rd movie.

I agree--or I know what you mean. I feel like--or I *KNOW* my writing is much better than it was last year or definitely 10 years ago, but I can't pinpoint exactly what.

But I have to say, writing historical usually requires more frilly writing and paranormal/urban fantasy usually requires tighter writing and less "frills"--nature of the genres. But I'm sure your writing has improved. :)

Hellion said...

Bo'sun, glad to hear the storyboarding is working for you. I don't know where you get the wanderlust either. *LOL* But I'm glad you might be staying near the beach--even if you don't go to the beach. *sighs*

Of course, if I visit you, I think I might come by car. These radicals are freaking me out on the planes.

Bosun said...

Tell me about it! I'm flying on Friday and I'm petrified I might blink wrong and end up being strip searched. Which, unfortunately, would be the most action I've had all year. *sigh*

Hellion said...

Dude, I don't care about strip searches. *LOL* Strip everyone. No bombs? GREAT. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I mean, technically I know I'm more likely to die in the car wreck, but I'd rather die on the ground than 10,000 feet in the air. That's just the way I am.

Bosun said...

If you don't take any international flights, say from another country INTO this one, you should be fine. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

Though I'm all about fighting the bad guys in the air to try to subdue them. If I'm going to die, I'd rather it be quick than wait until impact.

Hellion said...

And again, I don't like either of those options. I'd rather drive or stay home. There's no place I need to see that bad. Except Hogwarts...which I'd figure out a transport. Megabus maybe. Who knows?

Bosun said...

After spending my weekend driving a total of 1000 miles, I'll fly. I'm still amazed I wasn't killed on the roads. People DO NOT know how to drive.

But if you want to drive, that's fine. Or maybe the train? Would you take a train? I took the train to DC this summer, and I loved it.

Hellion said...

Taking the train to Hogwarts would be just optimal. *LOL* That's how everyone should go to Hogwarts. *LOL*

Melissa said...

I loved this blog. I was thinking when it was posted the first time how it would be perfect timing for a New Year post. But it was also perfect timing then and an extra bonus to revisit it now. What I like best is that message of anticipation. When the season was changing to fall, there was reflection, but also that anticipation of change. Excitement. It's not as easy to be excited this time of year. And it's true that more seems to get done with anticipation than reflection! I agree with Chance that it's a good thing to see this blog again.

Bosun said...

Melissa - I'm the opposite in that I get more excited this time of year. It's like the new year ahead is a chance to get a do-over. LOL! I'm not typically a reflective person, so maybe that helps.

BTW - So sorry I haven't sent you feedback on that email yet. I will! (Hopefully before it's unnecessary. LOL!)

Melissa said...

Terri - No problem on the email! Oh, it's never unnecessary! LOL Haven't been getting much done with the school break...the child's Nintendo broke and he wants my computer...and the child is yelling right now that he's hungry. Geez, I have to feed him too? LOL

Bosun said...

Demanding little buggers, aren't they? Mine is a few states away so it's a quiet week. Nice and quiet.

Melissa said...

Yeah, demanding buggers but that came out very "bad mommy" of me. Ah, quiet. You know, I think I could write in a coffee shop, but that's like white noise. It's hard to concentrate with "whatcha doing" every few minutes and surprise "knock knock?" jokes. :)

2nd Chance said...

I always get patted down at security...I consider it a mini massage. Especially when they handle me feet.

No, I don't look dangerous. I have an ICD and can't go through the scanner, or have that wand near me.

And I think everyone should have ta check their luggage. Everything but laptops and a small handbag. And get those bloody scanners everywhere! Who cares if you look naked ta security!

If I don't fly, I don't get much a' anywhere!

Hellie - Good point. Stop thinkin' so much! Or hire a minion to write down all me brilliant musings...

Though I need a good middle ground. Some thinkin', some reflectin'. but a defined reason ta turn away from the mirror and move forward...

Janga said...

I'm all for change. I'm ready for the change from winter to spring NOW! I hate cold weather. I am longing for daffodils in the yard and warm sunshine on my shoulders.

Another change I'm anticipating is the reopening of school. I adore the grands, but two weeks of almost non-stop energy and noise has given me a new appreciation for quietness. This morning alone I've had extended conversations about why the neighbors have a pet chicken, why I don't think bran flakes taste like hay, and why one-year-old cousins have a limited vocabulary. I wonder how many whys await me between now and 5:30 when their dad is off work.

Bosun said...

Janga - I suggest you hide on the ship somewhere. We'll put the undead monkey in charge the grands and refuse to tell them where you are. Though they might have a more colorful vocabulary when 5:30 comes around.

And I'm with you Spring coming immediately. Is there a petition we can sign for that?

2nd Chance said...

I find it helps to see signs of renewal... I have some bulb greenery showin' up already... Granted, CA doesn't have much in the snow department...least not on the coast where I be!

But it still helps me deal wit' the greyness...

Hellion said...

And it’s true that more seems to get done with anticipation than reflection!

I think this is true. I think it stems from the whole reflection is too easy to feel regret, while anticipation isn't concerned with what you did in your past--but what you're going to do NOW! I think we spend too much time reflecting and not enough being excited and happy that we don't have to do what we've done in the past that didn't work.

Hellion said...

Ah, Janga, the WHY factor. Clearly you're more patient than my father ever was about the WHYs--for which the answers were:

It doesn't matter.

I don't know.

I don't care.

Because I said so.

Occasionally he'd try to explain the scientific principles behind stuff, but would bore me stupid and I'd run off to do just about anything else--so I think he did that on purpose as well.

2nd Chance said...

Hee, hee. I used that wit' me nephews... Why is the sky blue? Because...blah, blah, blah. (I used to know all the technical reasons.)

Bosun said...

I've been known to answer "Why?" questions with, "How should I know? I don't know everything."

I expect my award any day now.

Julie said...

Nowadays, it’s hard to find a good disciple who will write down your brilliant ideas but not claim them as his own

Hellion I'd be honored to write down your brilliant ideas ... if only I could type!

Julie said...

Do I see change in myself from this last year?
Yes. I am more quiet.
And Thoughtful.
Sorry , Hellion. Your I think we spend too much time reflecting and not enough being excited and happy that we don’t have to do what we’ve done in the past that didn’t work. was great advice...
Honestly
I'm trying not to spend to much time reflecting.... but I'm excited ... even though I'm happy that I don’t have to do what I’ve done in the past that didn’t work ... because I'm Afraid that the thing that is making me reflective and excited Does work!

Julie said...

Confused? Not if you had a conversation that went something like ...

"Hey honey? Remember those boxes full of extra gear the kid sent home?"

"The ones that we put in the basement?"

"Yes, those. Well ... he just called and said that he's missing a grenade. "

Yep. I am more quiet.
And Thoughtful. I'm thinking "THEY Better be pulling my $#@&*! leg!"