Sunday, November 7, 2010

Books You Should Read By Captain Hellion

CONFESSION #1: I was sent Sarah Maclean’s newest novel to review. I got it for FREE with the understanding I would review it on the blog.

CONFESSION #2: I had already pre-ordered Sarah Maclean’s newest novel when I was offered a free copy of the book to review. Which I leaped on because I’d get the book sooner. Oh, and I didn’t cancel my order because it never hurts to have a spare copy of a great book. You see I adored Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake--are these great titles or what?

So with those two confessions in mind, yes, I did get the book free, but yes, you will get my biased, but utterly honest opinion. Whether you run out and buy the novel is totally up to you. (Subliminal voice: BUYIT.)

When I started hearing the buzz about Sarah Maclean, I was skeptical. I’m not a bandwagon girl; I didn’t immediately leap onto the Harry Potter train, nor will I read some of the industry favorites like—well, that’s too appalling to confess. Just think of some of the MUST READ authors you know and I haven’t read them.

And God knows we’ve all heard my opinions about history and the historical. A debut author pretty much has one chance with me to either a) be historically accurate enough to impress me to keep reading or b) be so compelling with her story, voice, and characters that a UFO could land in the middle of her tea party and I wouldn’t bat an eye.

Sarah Maclean is such an author. Yes, yes, even to my exacting standards. I know it is hard to believe. Now while I’d say on the whole, Sarah does try to be historically accurate, I’d say she falls into the latter category. She pushes some boundaries and you find yourself letting yourself go along with the fantasy. You want to believe her characters could have existed and behaved just exactly as they did.

In Ten Ways to be Adored When Landing a Lord, I was enchanted by the 1930s screwball comedy feel of the hero and heroine. Actually it felt like I was reading Katherine Hepburn do a Regency, because pretty much everything about the heroine seemed very Katherine Hepburn to me. Beautiful, smiling, doing exactly as she wants and as she needs to, Isabel Townsend is feisty enough to satisfy the modern reader, while being constrained enough to satisfy old-school readers like me.

The hero, Nicholas St. John, has just been named THE bachelor to land by some rag magazine—which is ingenious and tidbits of the articles begin some of the chapters. They’re witty, ironic, and hysterical. I want to subscribe to Pearls and Pelisses. Nick has gone into hiding—and also gone on the hunt for a friend’s runaway sister. Of course, he meets the untamable Miss Townsend and the lies and deceit and screwball begins. The banter flies between them—absolute perfection.

Isabel is the kind of heroine you can root for; and Nick is definitely the kind of hero we love to swoon over.

BLURB:
"Lord Nicholas is a paragon of manhood. And his eyes, Dear Reader! So blue!”
Pearls & Pelisses, June 1823

Since being named on of London’s "Lords to Land" by a popular ladies’ magazine, Nicholas St. John has been relentlessly pursued by every matrimony-minded female in the ton. So when an opportunity to escape fashionable society presents itself, he eagerly jumps—only to land in the path of the most determined, damnably delicious woman he’s ever met! The daughter of a titled wastrel,

Lady Isabel Townsend has too many secrets and too little money. Though used to taking care of herself quite handily, her father’s recent passing has left Isabel at sea and in need of outside help to protect her young brother’s birthright. The sinfully handsome, eminently eligible Lord Nicholas could be the very salvation she seeks.

But the lady must be wary and not do anything reckless…like falling madly, passionately in love.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS: don’t read on if you don’t want to know my specific beef with the book. If I have one complaint—and would I be me if I didn’t?—it would be the black moment. I absolutely wanted to shake Isabel, which in and of itself is not a bad thing, because she definitely stayed in character, but the black moment didn’t feel…logical, per se.  Then again, people aren’t always logical and they do let their fears rule them—so maybe Isabel’s behavior was logical. But even if it was, I wish Nick had made her grovel more—and he didn’t! Granted, maybe when you love someone, you don’t make them grovel. I will let you make your own decisions about the black moment and the HEA. We all know I don’t forgive easily. SPOILERS OVER.

My one quibble aside, it was a delightful read and I can’t wait for Sarah Maclean’s next book. Her novels are the kind of warm and witty book you can sink into a bathtub with and not worry. And they’re the kind of warm and witty book that you will run off to the bathtub just to have a chance to read it. It’s worth every stolen moment to read it.

What books have you read lately that have been worth every stolen moment? If you haven’t been reading (because you’ve been writing, working, et al), what have you been wishing you could sneak away and read?

41 comments:

2nd Chance said...

I'm actually working on Jeanne Adams "Deadly Little Secrets" and wish I had time to sit and read it to the finish. I'm working revisions and dealing with being doped up on vicodin, so it hasn't been a priority to read.

I had just finished a scene where the heroine has been shot at and complimented Jeanne on FB for the way Ana all but fell apart afterward. It was realistic! Yeah!

Like you, Hellion, I like to see characters react not only in character, but realistically. I'm not a fan of the casual reaction to flying bullets. Unless it's their profession. Jeanne did a great job in having her character actually deal with shock, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Glad to hear you enjoyed this historical, Hellion! I'd have loved to see Katherine Hepburn in a regency comedy. I'm sure she'd have been superb!

Scorpio M. said...

One of my favorite authors is Sarah Mayberry. She writes catagory roms for HQ and I always reserve a nice, quiet day to read her new releases. It's an indulgence that I look forward to. I spent last Saturday curled on the couch reading her latest, The Best Laid Plans. Loved it. :)

Marnee said...

This sounds wonderful. I've been meaning to pick up her books but well... my life is intruding on my reading/writing time.

I did, however, just manage to squeeze in the latest Nightkeepers book, BLOOD SPELLS. I thought it was great. I'm completely captivated by that series.

And I just won Miranda Neville's most recent so I'm excited to get my hands on that.

Bosun said...

I have got to get my hands on these books. And the new Neville as well. Thanks to Ms. Hoyt I have a large Borders gift card heading my way and I cannot wait to go shopping.

I've been reading stuff on my eReader since all the print books are still packed. Finished Kate Willoughby's ONCE UPON A KISS over the weekend. Very good book. One of the first Erotic Romances I've ever read where there was a great plot that wasn't smothered by the sex. It's the third in a series but I read it without reading the others and had no problem.

Downloaded a couple from Meg Benjamin over on Samhain Saturday night. Janga has been raving about this author and I can see why. Contemporary very much in the line of Crusie with the quirky characters and fun pets. And who doesn't like a hunky 6'5" vet?

Hellion said...

I’m not a fan of the casual reaction to flying bullets. Unless it’s their profession. Jeanne did a great job in having her character actually deal with shock, physically, mentally and emotionally.

It IS weird to have characters be all blase about flying bullets, isn't it? We want our heroines to be cool like Lara Croft, but we have to remember Lara is based on a VIDEO GAME. So she's more like a robot/android--she doesn't have human emotions or is in anyway relatable to the rest of us. Well, besides the fact she's Angelina Jolie and completely hot as well.

I'm sorry you're all doped up and not feeling well, and bogged by work requirements as well. But I'm glad you have stuff to read for when you do have time again. :) And I'm glad it's a superior author.

And yes, wasn't Katherine Hepburn the best?

Hellion said...

Scorpio, I haven't had a chance to read Sarah Mayberry yet. Good title though! I will have to write her down to find her books for a good afternoon read. (Love the title!! Lots of potential just thinking about the title!)

Hellion said...

Marnee, I *loved* the Nightkeepers series and for some reason I haven't read them past the second or third book. I think it was because I needed to reread the FIRST book and I can't find my copy of the first book now! But I keep buying them so when I do read them, I have them all! I love the story premise; her characters are well developed; and covers are awesome.

I think I saw your facebook comment to her, where you said you ABSORBED the book! *LOL* I loved that!! I love it when books are like that!

Hellion said...

Bo'sun, I would LOVE to help you spend your Border's Gift Card. *LOL* I have LOTS of recommendations! But when will you have time with your writing your synopsis and polishing up your GH entry? Is this your December reward then?

Bosun said...

You forget I only read for about 15 minutes before going to sleep at night. LOL! And I did start a PFK synopsis file Saturday night. Thankfully, all that pitch stuff I struggled with back in July is helping for the start of this thing. Ha!

But yes, most of the books will definitely linger until December and serve as a reward for after I drop that GH entry in the mail.

Hellion said...

This is why I don't have kids. They take away all your reading time.

Donna said...

I've discovered I rarely like the books that everyone else loves, and they rarely like the ones *I* love. LOL I do like to hear what it is that people like about their faves, though, so I can see what it is that touches the reader's heart. :)

Right now I'm reading romantic suspense, since I'm writing on a historical and editing a contemp, and it won't interfere with either of those. :) I'm a big fan of Roxanne St. Claire's Bulletcatcher series, and she's started a new series, with a new publisher. The first book, EDGE OF SIGHT, just came out so that's the one I'm reading (it's set in Boston!)

Hellion said...

I’ve discovered I rarely like the books that everyone else loves, and they rarely like the ones *I* love.

This is Terri and me. And Sin and me. And probably you and me.

Bosun said...

It's gotten to where I don't even tell Hellie when I like a book. At least not with the "You have to read this" part of it. It's a total waste of my time.

Hellion said...

The first book, EDGE OF SIGHT, just came out so that’s the one I’m reading (it’s set in Boston!)

I love reading books set in places I know or been or live--I love to see how well the author knows it too, so I can go, "I've been there! It's exactly like that!"

Hellion said...

You don't like the books I like either! *LOL*

Bosun said...

Though I'm pretty sure I'm going to like this one. Fingers crossed that gift card is in my mailbox today.

Bosun said...

This is true.

Hellion said...

That reminds me. I need to check on the status of my Amazon shipment. I have When Harry Met Molly coming--which I'm excited about--and of course, my new cookbook!!!

I have also been reading Monica McCarthy's new series about the Highland Guard, which while somewhat improbable actually feels very real and probable/possible. Love it, love it! Very sexy!

2nd Chance said...

This is why I don’t have kids. They take away all your reading time.

I knew there was a reason I decided against kids...

2nd Chance said...

Donna - You ought to check out Jeanne's books for romantic suspense.

And what the heck, no one reads what I read, let alone likes it! ;-) At least no one on this ship... Now, I've enjoyed several of the books Terrio has recommended and what you've pushed, Hellion...

Hellion said...

And you do have Bonnie. I don't normally propose that pets are kids, but they sorta are.

Hellion said...

Well, 2nd, we know you're more open-minded than most. *LOL*

2nd Chance said...

True, but Bonnie doesn't generally demand I leave the computer and come play Chutes and Ladders with her... Just take her on walks now and then!

Open-minded, eh? Is that what it is? I just figure I have more free time!

Scapegoat said...

I read a book I LOVED last week - couldn't put it down and have no idea how to write a review for it that will do it justice.

It was also one of those books I wanted to throw against the wall screaming "Why the hell didn't I write that!" "I'll never find an awesome voice like that." I so wished I had written this book - plus a little sex added in (since it didn't have any):)

If you enjoy geeky, awesome heroines who can save their own day, are super smart and find themselves torn between 2 hot super agents (although I'm totally rooting for her friend Elvis) then check out No One Lives Twice by Julie Moffett from Carina Press.

Seriously want to make a "Team Elvis" shirt. :)

Hellion said...

That sounds adorable, Scapegoat. (And yes, I've read plenty of books where I'm going WHY DIDN'T I WRITE THAT ONE!?) The No One Lives Twice sounds like a fun spin on the NBC Chuck series...

Scapegoat said...

Here's the link to that book at Carina Press. If you like funny suspense you might really enjoy it. I just wished it was slightly sexier. But it totally works without it. :)

http://ebooks.carinapress.com/4215D9A2-1CE7-467F-81DB-76229168E37C/10/134/en/ContentDetails.htm?ID=8540A960-8272-4FEB-860C-BFCDFCC6C64B

2nd Chance said...

Ah, so many books that I want to scream at, Scapegoat. Where I want to pull out the cat o' nine tails and flog myself for not working faster, not putting that idea down and selling it... Oh, yeah.

You'll do her justice in the review, Scape! I know you will! Ought to ask the author to guest on your website...

Janga said...

Oh, I love this post! One of my favorite things is friends raving about books I loved. Hellie's post and the comments have turned my desk into an Amen corner this morning.

I loved both of Sarah MacLean's books, and her third, Eleven Ways to Start to Win a Duke's Heart is already on my 2011 book calendar (release date May 1). I added Sarah Mayberry to my autobuy list this year, a list Roxanne St. Claire has been on for some time. I adore Meg Benjamin's Konigsburg series and have recommended them to everyone I know who reads contemporaries. I'm 99% certain Miranda Neville's The Dangerous Viscount is going to be on my top ten of 2010 list, I posted a five-star review of When Harry Met Molly at GoodReads last week, and I've ordered Deadly Little Secrets.

So many good books! Too bad I have to work today and must ait to read new books from Lisa Kleypas and Nora Roberts. :(

Bosun said...

Consider it character building, Janga. Your character. LOL! That's it, I'm taking all of December to read. Well, more than I'm taking now.

PJ said...

Loved WHEN HARRY MET MOLLY! It's an absolute delight!

I enjoy romantic suspense and Roxanne St. Claire and Jeanne Adams are two of my favorite r/s authors. DEADLY LITTLE SECRETS is superb and EDGE OF SIGHT is a book that kept me up reading half the night. I highly recommend both.

A MARINE FOR CHRISTMAS (Harlequin SuperRomance) is another emotionally charged story from Beth Andrews. She won the RITA last summer and it won't surprise me one bit if this book makes the RITA finals in 2011. She's an author who isn't afraid to tackle sensitive topics/situations and create characters who react to them realistically.

Hellion said...

Janga, it does feel like there is a plethora (is that the right word?) of great books for us to devour right now? (It's sorta like feast and famine, I think. Or like on the main channels when they're just doing reruns and you wish they'd show something original...anyway, I feel right now the books being put out are the Fall Primetime lineups. There is something for everyone and even more for you if you branch out because it's just all good!!)

Hellion said...

PJ, I'd like a Marine for Christmas. Can that be arranged?

Okay, so I should look up this book, and that was two votes for Sarah Mayberry...

And I *cannot* wait until my When Harry Met Molly shows up dangit!

Have I mentioned I also got to read Butterfly Swords by Jeannie Lin and it was MARVELOUS. Loved it!

Sin said...

Ugh, I need a drink to go with my nice relaxing bathtub soak.

I haven't read a book since August when MOCKINGJAY came out and almost ruined my love the Katniss. What is it with these authors and ending a series that they have to f*ck it all up?

*dismissive hand wave* It's neither here nor there. I will not be seeing Breaking Dawn when it comes out next June. But I will be seeing Hunger Games when it comes out. Probably at midnight with my "Down with the Capitol" shirt blazing the crowd.

I think I want this book. Excellent review. In fact, I may have to get both for when NaNo is over and I'm allowed some symbolance of free time. Is that even a word. *thinking* I think my brain is rotting.

Sin said...

I’ve discovered I rarely like the books that everyone else loves, and they rarely like the ones *I* love.

This is Terri and me. And Sin and me. And probably you and me.


Yes, well, I'm extremely picky and it's rare I will try a new romance author without someone giving me a hard time and four wonderful reviews. And even then it takes me two years to buy simply because I forget.

Sin said...

I might love that spy book. Can't write it until I finish mine though.

Sin said...

I just read an excerpt. She sounds a lot like Sadie except bubblier and less prone to kill someone. Thanks for putting the link up, Scapey!

Bosun said...

Okay, so I clicked the link and the does sound fun. And then I read the author's bio and now I feel horribly inferior and like the total underachiever I am. *sigh*

Sin said...

That's why I never read that crap. I'm going to make up something really awesome for mine. Just for giggles.

Bosun said...

Can we do that?!

Wait, we're pirates. Nevermind.

I'm totally doing that.

Scapegoat said...

HA- After I posted that link I went back and holy cow she has won some major awards! I've never heard of her or read her other books, but No One Lives Twice looks like a major departure from her other books.

Sin said...

I'm not going to read about her. I don't need anymore complexes that I already have. lol