Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving is TOMORROW!



I love, love, love Thanksgiving!

When I was a little girl, there is a specific Thanksgiving that I can remember very vividly. Not that all of my Thanksgivings are the greatest- after all Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday only to be rivaled with the ever awesome Independence day- but this one was odd, weird, strange, and funny enough, great.

Just like in any family, you have your traditions. Where you go. Who cooks what food. Who gets the rifle out first and suggests target shooting. *shrugs* How loud the TV gets turned up when the football game is on. Who gets the last beer. I mean, those things are just rooted deep in tradition. In my family, when I was a child, we went to my grandpa's house and he made all the food except for the stuff my Aunt made grandpa nicknamed the green shit, which pistachio pudding is mixed with whipped cream and crushed pineapple.

My mother's parent's house was in the middle of our small town, down a road aptly named Short street which was paved later on and made for an excellent scooter and skateboard hill. At the top of the hill, the Rowlands lived in their little white house and down around the corner at the bottom of the hill was my grandparent's little original house built sometime in the early turn of the century. It was surrounded by trees and out buildings and lots of grassland. We spent all afternoons there after school. We spent countless hours there in the summer. Going to my grandparents wasn't the exciting thing it should've been, but when you're young you take stuff for granted.

I'm dressed for cold weather and outside playing. My two cousins were older, and just about as mean as me. There was always trouble brewing when the three of us put our heads together. But what was this... There was a BOY sitting on my grandpa's porch.

Things of that nature had to be investigated. First with the cousins.

I rolled my pre-teen eyes. "Who got to bring their BOYFRIEND to Thanksgiving?"

"No one," My cousin Jennifer, the eldest, told me. "Uncle said he is our cousin and we're SUPPOSED to be NICE."

I looked to Shelly and crinkled my nose. "No way. Boys aren't allowed into the family."

Shelly shrugged her shoulders, "I'm going to talk him into doing something bad so he will know not to mess with me."

"Like what? You can't talk him into jumping into the pond. Uncle is not going to let him out of his sight for that long."

Shelly grinned and I knew then it was going to be ugly. "Watch me."

She took off running and Jennifer took off after her. I lagged behind. How did we end up with another cousin? He was older than me and looked bored and way out of place.

"Hi." He said when I walked up and Shelly was wearing her this-means-war look.

"Hey." How does one properly address a newcomer into our devious fold? I had thoughts of running him over with the three-wheeler.

Jennifer gave me a sly look. "We were just telling him about our Thanksgiving fireworks tradition. You know, the bottle rockets?"

My cousins once convinced me that if you held a bottle rocket by the stick and light it that it would fly from your hands. No one told me you had to let go when it started to go off.

"Uh-huh."

"How we tie them together and throw them at one another." Shelly piped in. The kid's eyes grew big and I smiled.

"Yeah, I love that tradition. It's better than the target shooting practice at one another. It's hard to run in the woods and not fall into hunter traps. You remember how last year I hung upside downs for six hours and missed Thanksgiving dinner."

The doom and gloom cousins snickered.

The kid was petrified.

We all three looked at each other with the same thought, good. This was our territory. He was going to have to fight for his right to hang with us.

Jen pushed away from the porch and my mama stuck her head out of the front door. "Y'all don't go far because dinner is gonna be served in just a few minutes and I'm not yelling all over hell's creation for you guys."

All three of us rolled our eyes but the kid mumbled a weak, "we'll stay close".

Yeah, right.

"Christina Lynn..."

I tossed her a look over my shoulder, "Yes, mama."

I looked back in front of me and thought to myself again, "yeah right".

My cousins went running for their house. They always had a stash of something useful for troublemaking. I lagged behind with the kid.

"So, what is your name?"

I kept my eyes in front of me, watching my cousins tear up their house in search of the bottle rockets. The kid trailed behind me some as we made our way down the hill to the road.

"Mathew."

"Do you go by Mathew or should I call you something else?"

He gave me a curious look, "What do you mean?"

I gave him a look, "I have to know what to call you when I dial 911." And I walked away from him, leaving him in the road.

Jen bounced outside with Shelly hot on her heels. "We've got them!"

I reached forward for my bunch and Shelly tied off a handful for Mathew. Jen produced her handy dandy lighter as she tied six bottle rockets together. "Now, you have to do it like this. I wouldn't want you to get hurt or anything. I am the oldest, therefore all younger cousins are my responsibility."

Shelly and I snickered and Jen shot us a look.

Jen lit her bunch, waited until the wick was low and tossed them all. They shot in different directions and when they started to fly back towards us, Mathew was the only one who hit the ground.

Mathew pushed himself off the ground and started to hand back his bottle rockets. "I think I'll just watch."

Shelly shoved them back, "No way. Are you chicken of a couple of harmless bottle rockets?"

"No!" Mathew shook his head. "No. I just don't feel like shooting them off that's all."

"Liar."

I shrugged my shoulder and took the lighter away from Jen. I'd learned a long time ago that if you wanted to deal with my cousins you had to play dirty. The kid was going to have to learn that too. I lit off my bunch and tossed them almost a second too late. One bottle rocket was on a short fuse and blew almost too quick for my own good.

I laughed.

"GIRLS!! Mathew! What are y'all out there doing?" You could hear my mama over four counties plain as day. She'd had enough practice yelling for me when I was out running around in the woods after dark. "You better not have the fireworks out! I'm going to beat you guys black and blue!"

Empty threats.

Mathew dropped his bottle rockets on the ground like he'd been caught stealing and started to walk away. "You three are crazy."

Shelly started making clucking noises as she lit her bunch. "Chicken. Brock-Brock-Brock...Chicken."

She tossed her bunch high into the air and they took off in every direction. Her laughter echoed off the trees surrounding the place.

Mathew started back up the hill and Shelly chased after him. "You're not going to live this down, Chicken Boy."

So the tradition was born that every family gathering we picked on and tortured my newly found boy cousin, Mathew. We had no mercy for him.

So Thanksgiving is tomorrow and I want to lay out exactly what I'm thankful this year. I have a lot of blessings in my life and I don't give thanks enough for all that I have. I'm the most ungrateful brat in the world.

I am thankful for:

  1. The ship, my online friends and all the support my shipmates give me when I ask for it and when they think I need it. And for Hells for putting up with me.

  2. Small favors.

  3. My support system to which if I didn't have them, there wouldn't be me as I exist now.

  4. Friendships lost and found. Which truly make you believe in something greater and fate and all that jazz.

  5. The undead monkey, Mattycakes, who is trying sometimes and not box trained (but he pees in Hells hammock so it's okay).

  6. And a whole slew of other things that I will reserve to talk about at another time.


Now, what are your traditions and do you have any funny stories about Thanksgiving form when you were a child? Or what's one thing you're grateful for this year that you didn't have last year?

62 comments:

2nd Chance said...

I'm thankful I'm not a member a' Sin's family. I'd a' been total toast.

I remember the kids table at the grandfolks. And Grampa's cigars. To this day, the smell a' a cigar makes me think a' 'im.

But the best one be at me Mom's. Beautiful table, practically groanin' with all the food on it. We eat late, but this time it were real late. Like 8pm. We all came ta the table, and someone took a picture. Ten minutes later we took another picture, total annihilation. I think I were in me early thirties...

I'm thankful this year fer me dog and cat. They weren't a part a' the family last year. They bring me a lot a' daily joy.

And fer all a' yer scurvy dogs, Jane-o, me DH and fer the cruise I be leavin' fer on the 6th!

Linda Henderson said...

This time last year we were looking forward to my oldest daughter having a baby that it had taken her 7 years to conceive. She delivered that baby at 23 weeks weighing 1 lb. 2.7 ozs. and was 11 1/2 inches long. She spent 4 months in the NICU and came home in July. She is 8 months old now (adjusted age 4 months) and she weighs about 8 pounds now. She is huge compared to what she was. So this year I am thankful for my new granddaughter Payton and the fact that she is alive and well.

Quantum said...

Reading Sin's account of fireworks in the outback ... at least I hope it was well away from centres of population ... I am grateful to the Pilgrim Fathers fer tekin ya all off to America! :lol:

Distance makes the heart grow fonder! :wink:

Chance, are you heading for the Caribbean?
You lucky thing. I would love to cruise there, especially in the Cricket season. Guess I'll have to make do with Miranda for now! 8)

Marnee Jo said...

Sin - good heavens. Poor Mathew. Tell me he eventually toughened up and held his own.

LOL!

As for me, Thanksgiving was always a holiday at my parents' house, but when I started dating my DH, I took it over and hosted my parents and my in-laws. Now, my mom lives in Fl and my dad is gone, so I only get the in-laws.

I've been cooking for 7 years now. I used to try different side dishes or different recipes for the turkey but I've long ago given up on trying to get fancy with the inlaws. They prefer Stove top, dry mix gravy, and straight up green bean casserole the way the French's Onions folks suggest. The only place I get a little fancy is my pies. I make pumpkin and apple and they're always a big hit. I actually had to double the number I make because people have seconds. Now that's compliments.

I'm thankful for my family and friends, my DH and kiddo, and for all of you. :) It's been another blessed year.

Happy Turkey Day everyone. Be safe wherever you go.

Sin said...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and good morning!

*grin* Afternoon, dearest Q!

Sin said...

Chanceroo, I still have not gotten to the post office. It is on my to-do list today. :( But it will ship out today!

I love the memories we keep as we get older. The smells and sounds of family gatherings. The food and the way you remember it all looking. I can practically see it in my head.

Sin said...

Linda, bless Payton's heart. She will grow into a strong and capable kid and a hellion when she gets older.

Sin said...

Q, I've got some fireworks you can try out if you'd like.

*wicked grin*

And I hate to tell you but I highly doubt my family made the pilgrimage over here. More than likely we stowed away hiding out from the authorities and ended up in America. *lol*

And my grandparent's house was right in the middle of our little town. If you shoot off fireworks the dogs from all the neighbors get to howling and then everyone else will go get some and start shooting them off too.

Sin said...

Please. Mathew is a whiner. We weren't THAT mean to him.

Good luck with all the cooking and prep work today Marn. I know you've got your hands full. *hug* Happy Turkey day!

Hellie said...

I'm cracking up that Q is grateful that England sent all the convicts off to America! *LOL*

Traditions? Traditionally, I make the majority of the "savory" items and my sister makes the sweet potato casserole (which I think is disgusting) and the desserts (because I'm too busy cooking turkey to bake a pie too). I would occasionally make homemade rolls--since I consider them better than dessert--but after spending 3 hours one year making them and only getting 1 compliment from my sister and my father putting on a batch of store bought rolls because "they're brown"--I have placed an embargo on making rolls. Now I get, "You're not making rolls?" from all male parties, who sound strangely hurt and confused, and I say, "You'll have to buy them. I'm not wasting my efforts on you."

Also traditionally, I get about 2 dozen calls on Thanksgiving day, asking me what I'm fixing, even though we've gone over it every Sunday for the last month and the menu has not changed since 1994. Occasionally the youngest child will be sent from the trailer (where my sister lives) to the farm (where I am) to get cans of mushroom soup or chicken broth or a can of green beans. She'll of course look annoyed, but will be thrilled with my Dad rewards her with beef jerky for her troubles.

My brother will lurk at the kitchen and watch me cook until I yell at him to stop staring at me. I will then be annoyed he does not offer to help--he only wants to watch--and then I'll righteously march into the livingroom with a bag of potatoes for him to peel, if he's so damned bored. This will take him the better part of an hour because he's a bleeding perfectionist about it.

Dad does the dishes. He doesn't watch me; he just comes in and starts doing dishes without asking. Sometimes he'll ask, "What pan do you need first?" and he'll wash that. Then once he's finished, he gets out of my way. Good man.

Finally when everything is done, we call my sister and she comes with the family to the farm. They stay about 40 minutes; my sister compliments something I've done and I compliment something she's done. Then they rush back out to go home because they have Thanksgiving Dinner waiting for them at home, and about the time they make it back to the trailer, they'll be ready for 3rds (because they had 2nds during their 40 minute stint with us.)

Hellie said...

What she's calling a town, Q, is probably a hamlet in England. 283 people.

Sin said...

Hells, next year you can spend Thanksgiving with us dearest.

Sin said...

And I once spent 6 hours trying to get rolls done right. My grandpa made the best beer rolls known to mankind. My mother is trying to perfect the beer roll and while they are spectacular, I can still remember the smell of them when you'd open up the front door to the house. Mama's has that effect as well. I can't wait for the next special occasion for some rolls. You hear that mama. I want rolls. Pronto!

Sin said...

And next year I will have time to make sweet potato pie. This year I will just have to make due without.

Jane L said...

Hello!! Revenge crew! The royal kitty and I are just popping in to wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!

I also wanted to thank you all for extending your friendship to me and allowing me to visit with you on the Revenge. You are an amazing group and have a unique way of making me laugh and smile when I need it! Safe Holiday travels to you all!

Sin said...

'ello Lady Jane! Safe and wonderful travels to you and the royal kitty! Happy Thanksgiving and we all love having you aboard!

2nd Chance said...

Ah, Q...I wish it were the Caribbean... Jus' a week visitin' the Mexican Riviera. Cabo San Lucas, Puerta Vallarta, and Mazatlan... I'm lookin' forward ta jus' sprawlin' on the deck and doin' nothin'! Though I may take me newest editin' work wit' me...

Q - Ya got ta 'elp me out wit' some details a' were I need ta polish!

Sin - When ya gets it ta' the mail, then ya gets it in the mail. No rush!

I'm off ta me MIL tomorrow - shudder - no tellin' what she'll make.

I bet Jane-o be makin' everythin' perfect! She were bakin' and decoratin' Christmas cookies a few weeks ago. And has a 16 foot tree...

Bosun said...

I have been trying to read this since this morning and haven't gotten past the second sentence. I will get here...eventually.

Sin said...

Ter, it's okay. I'm not going to be around the rest of the day.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you have a blessed and safe one!

Sabrina said...

Happy Thanksgiving Eve everyone!

Waving hi to Jane and royal kitty!

I said it yesterday, but I'll say it again today - I'm thankful for The Revenge and that I know there will be some part of everyday where I'm thinking and talking about writing. That everyday reminder has been exactly what I needed.

I'll spare everyone my sadness this holiday as traditionally Thanksgiving was always spent with my parents and this is the first year without either.

What I will say is that our traditions included putting up the Christmas tree on Thanksgiving day after we ate so they whole family could do it together. It made it so special to all be together for decorating.

I LOVE to cook, so most of the time my turkey and pies are fab, BUT I absolutely cannot make stuffing. Not to save my life!

Last time I tried, everyone took the first bite and looked at each other. They all burst out laughing and my mom said "Oh honey this is not edible."

So I would always make everything else, and someone would bring stuffing. :)

2nd Chance said...

Aye, it has been a rough year fer ya, Sabrina. Hang in there and ya begin a new tradition...

2nd Chance said...

My Mom makes the most amazin' stuffin'... I'll write down the recipe when I see her at Christmas time and send it ta you, Scapegoat.

Heaven knows what the MIL is gonna make...sigh. One year she overdid mint leaves. Why? I don't know.

Hellie said...

Sabrina, I'm so sorry; the first year of "firsts without them" is always, always the hardest. *HUGS*

That's a great tradition with the tree. We usually did our tree really close to Christmas because it was usually a "real" tree and we have a woodburning stove, so no humidity. The thing just brittled apart in about a week anyway. Last year I didn't put one up--we barely had room anyway--and I was plotting my move into an apartment...so I didn't bother. But this year, I just brought home the tree stuff last Sunday, so it's going up as soon as "reasonably" possible. (I didn't want to be a total nerd and do it before Thanksgiving. I'm having Christmas light withdrawals.)

Melissa said...

Happy Thanksgiving pirates and everyone! I'm grateful to many things this year that I didn't have last year. And this morning I went out to a dairy farm and brought home a kitten! She smells like a barn, but I think she's beautiful - kind of cream color with a brown tail and ears and bright blue eyes. I guess Siamese coloring, but she's fluffy. I'll take a picture when she doesn't look so scaird!

I'm happy to have a pet again. Animals seem to make the house a home. :) Enjoy the holiday everyone.

2nd Chance said...

Oooo! What's 'er name, Melissa?

2nd Chance said...

I'm just gonna do it. No tree. I'll change me flag out front ta a Christmas theme one, and I may put up some lights on the deck/pier. I gots a tiny bead tree somewhere, I may bring that one out.

Real trees mean cat throwin' up and dog gettin' sick on eatin' what they shouldn't, be it needle or tinsel.

If I want the scent, I can find a wreath. Cat hasn't shown the ability ta levitate up the wall. Yet.

Melissa said...

No idea on a name yet...my son will probably name her...I hope she gets a name. How many of us have had a cat named "Kitty?" LOL

2nd Chance said...

Well, mine is named Isabeau...she's a bit of a fluffy Siamese also.

Terrio?

Sabrina said...

Can't wait to see pics Melissa!

Hellie said...

Definitely send pictures. I love cats! I just want to snuggle them!

Janga said...

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. (((Hugs))) to Sabrina. Hellie's right. That first year without a loved one is really, really rough. But with time memories feel like warm embraces.

We usually decorate for Christmas the two days after Thanksgiving, but my sister and I both have deadlines this year. The decorating will have to wait a couple of weeks.

I actually wrote out a list of all I'm thankful for last night. It's a long list, and the pirates are part of it. Right now I'm thankful the pecan pies are made, the grands' cookies are cooling, and the kitchen smells great. Have a blessed day tomorrow!

Bosun said...

My cat is named Bumblebee and I'm DREADING putting up the tree. He already makes me crazy attacking anything that moves, shredding my couch and carpet. He even pushed the hamster off her perch one night. I don't even want to think of what he'll do to the tree.

Must not put breakable bulbs on this year. *sigh*

Well, it only took me until 2pm to get here and now I've missed Sin. Sorry, darlin'! Hope you have a great day. And you had me on this story until you threw in the 911 bit. Even my hometown didn't have 911 until less than a decade ago. ;)

No traditions here. It'll be just me tomorrow, and the cat, of course. Kiddo spends every other year with her dad. I did buy myself a nice little turkey breast and I plan to see Pirate Radio while I have the chance.

As a kid, I'd help with the cooking, but not enough to learn much. I do miss all the baking we'd do in the weeks leading up to and during the holidays. I do remember that if dinner happened while the game was on (my sister has always been a Dallas fan for some weird reason) that we had to turn the television so it could be seen from the table.

Heaven forbid we talk to each other. And that was the only time the entire year we ever sat at the table as a family. Is it any wonder why I never go home? LOL!

Sabrina - HUGS!

Melissa - I can't wait to see a picture and find out what the little one names her.

Chance - Love how you make the Mexican Riviera sound ho-hum. LOL! Are you sure I can't stow away?

Hellie - You realize you're earning sainthood more and more every year?

Jane-O - We're happy you've taken to us. We can't be easy to get used to. LOL!

Hellie said...

Our town is part of a "big" county, so we've had 911 for some time. Probably 20 years, so long enough for Sin's story not to be pure exaggeration.

Bosun said...

Are you serious? 20 years? I'm talking about a pretty big town in Ohio and we didn't have it back when Isabelle was 1. I only remember because home on a visit, I fainted and my husband (now ex!) yelled at my mom to call 911. She had to explain we didn't have 911. LOL!

Hellie said...

Pretty sure we had 911 when I was in grade school and that was a far-cry and gone years ago. So yes, 20 years. At least.

It's not enhanced 911 if that matters.

Bosun said...

I don't know what enhanced 911 is. :)

When I still lived in AR, my friend was the 911 coordinator and it had only been in use for maybe 5 years tops. That was earlier this decade. I think the more rural, the harder to implement.

Hellie said...

Enhanced 911 is when you call 911 and if you can't give your 911 address, they can GPS where the call is coming from (since they assume that is where the emergency is) and will come to you.

Yes, I know AR didn't have it. I was one of the people who helped address them for 911.

Bosun said...

So to NOT get off topic, I'm grateful for my OnStar.

:)

Bosun said...

Oh, that's right. About the GPS, I have OnStar and it's interesting to know they always know where I am. They send me emails to tell me when my car needs something done to it and I can use my car as a phone. It's the coolest damn thing.

2nd Chance said...

Though I still be waitin' fer that GPS that be fer keepin' me on track wit' the writin'...

When I be at Mum's in August we got a reverse 911 call...tellin' us ta evacuate because of a fire... Weren't necessary, but the thought be nice! And good ta know they can do that!

Quantum said...

Q - Ya got ta ‘elp me out wit’ some details a’ were I need ta polish!

Chance, I thought you were working on it with Jenna Petersen.
If you're serious, I could try to spend a little more time examining Miranda under my microscope. *roguish pirate smile* 8)

Q, I’ve got some fireworks you can try out if you’d like. *wicked grin*

And I hate to tell you but I highly doubt my family made the pilgrimage over here. More than likely we stowed away hiding out from the authorities and ended up in America. *lol*

I’m cracking up that Q is grateful that England sent all the convicts off to America! *LOL*


Sin luv, you always dazzle me anyway. I'm not sure I could handle you as a fire cracker! :wink:

Helli, I'm sure I didn't mention convicts!
Sin,I reckon your ancestors must have been lovable rogues ... Robin Hood types. :lol:

My Christmas tree will be erected on Christmas Eve.... it says so in my diary. But don't let me dampen any bubbling festive spirit here.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!
I'll open something rather special tomorrow and toast you all then! :D

Sabrina said...

Bo'Sun and Hellie - I just laughed my ass off!

My first thought was, shouldn't all 911 calls be enchanced? Like, hello it's 911! Red lights should flash and sirens sound and all operators should rush to answer...you get the picture.

Then I read Hellie's explanation and I had no idea they can use GPS now. Awesome to know.

Sabrina said...

Q - you sound just like my hubby. He has always balked at putting the tree up early. If he had his way, it would be on Christmas eve. I wear him down every year and get just a little closer to my family's Thanksgiving tradition. :)

Quantum said...

Sabrina, you remind me a little of Mrs Q. She also has very special ways of twisting my arm. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK, so a week before Christmas is an unmovable rigorous lower bound .... I think! :wink:

2nd Chance said...

Q - No matter what Jenna says, I'd love ta hear more details from ya on where I need ta whisk out me polishin' cloth...

And personally, I think yer more on track...save Christmas fer the week before. Here in the colonies, it be wa-a-a-a-a-ay overdone fer me tastes!

*ducking as the rest throw rum bottles at me

I'm not a Scrooge! I jus' find a month+ a holiday cheer a bit much!

And Bo'sun, compared ta the Caribbean, the Mexican Riviera come in a poor second!

2nd Chance said...

I must admit, me family used ta put the Christmas tree up as close ta me birthday as possible. That be the tradition I grew up wit'. After a few years a' the cat throwin' up pine needles, we gave up on a tree. (Me family never had cats... I didn't know!)

Bo'sun, the way Bumblebee been behavin'...I'd put the tree up when ya can be there wit' him... Wit' a camera!

Bosun said...

I knew about the GPS 911 thing, just didn't make the connection with "enhanced." So few things in my life are "enhanced".

I'm with Q on the putting the tree up later, though not quite that late. I almost didn't bother last year. Kiddo wasn't here for the big day so no reason. But I caved, didn't feel like Christmas without it. This year, she's here so it'll go up around the 15th or so.

Chance - I need to set up a constant webcam. I'm sure it will be entertaining to say the least. Last night, I opened my closet to find a suitcase on the floor in the middle of it. (It's a walk-in, obviously.) That suitcase WAS on the top shelf which is well over 5 ft off the ground.

Gee, wonder how it got on the floor. *rolls eyes*

Hellie said...

Sin's family would never belong to a Robin Hood group--mainly because they don't want to claim to belong to any group of any kind, but good try, Q!

And is Robin Hood not a convict simply because he wasn't caught? I mean, he was still an outlaw... *LOL*

Bosun said...

That reminds me, there's only TWO episodes left! LOL!

Forgot to say, there's a radio station around here that has been playing Xmas music for like two weeks or more. 24/7. They're programmed in on my radio and I forget when I'm rolling through the buttons. Takes me by surprise every time. LOL!

2nd Chance said...

I be figurin' Sin's family would hijack their own ship, the heck wit' sneakin' aboard someone elses...

Yeah, a Bumblebee cam would be a big hit on the web! That might fund anythin' ya be thinkin' a doin'!

I can handle the occassional carol at this point, more than that and I start thinkin' 'bout a cave...

Sabrina said...

Hey Bo'Sun - saw that Office Max is offering an Acer Aspire One NetBook for $149.99 on Friday.

Since Office Max isn't a store I think would have huge crowds, it might be an easy way to get that price if you are still looking for a netbook.

I've talked to other who use the Acer and they like them (I have a Dell so no personal experience with Acer) Just wanted to share.

2nd Chance said...

Sabrina! Me everlovin' DH got me a sony reader as an early b-day present and I be lovin' it already! But thanks fer the heads-up!

Sabrina said...

YAY Chance! I'm so glad to hear it and that you're loving it. I adore mine, but still read and buy tons of paper too :)

Bosun said...

Sabrina - I keep checking all the sales. I haven't decided if it's worth it to get up that early. But I do think there is an Office Max by my office and I had not heard about that one. Dang, that's a good price. I'm going to have to ponder this further!

2nd Chance said...

I look at me paper stacks and wish I could convert it all ta electronic and get rid a' the paper! This thing is so much easier!

Bosun said...

I got the Sony Reader and have no idea what to do with it. I have hundreds of regular books staring at me every day waiting to be read. The last thing I need is to load up a digital device with more. And what's up with the prices?! I'm not paying $9.99 for a digital version of anything!

2nd Chance said...

I will if it's only out in hardback and I don't want to wait two years ta get it in paperback. And fer me cruise, I'll be packing the reader, not books! Hell, paperbacks run $7.99 and more! Fer an extra two bucks, I don't have ta go ta the store, I don't have ta stack the book in a bag and have it gather dust until I fill tha bag and can take it somewhere they might want ta buy it from me.

I think it's more environmentally sound... And if'n I buy direct from e-pubs, most books don't cost that much...

I be converted! Hallelujah!

Though I were always a believer...

Bosun said...

I don't dislike the things for other people, just not sure it's a fit for me. I do need to check out some of the epub sites. Now, a flip camera, that looks fun. That may go on my gadget wish list.

2nd Chance said...

Oh, the new cameras are totally fab! Go fer one a' those...one that takes short movies so ya can get Bumblebee on YouTube!

And I put out me Christmas glitter wreath, me indoor doily tree and me itty bitty bead tree. And found some lights ta put out come Saturday.

Done!

*giggle

Sabrina said...

Those flip cameras do look awesome. I want one to do author interviews at conferences for my blog!

2nd Chance said...

Then you can post them on YouTube!

(I want someone to let me film me pitch and show me how ta post it on YouTube... Yes, feelin' odd this evenin'...)

Bosun said...

Well, I only want one to use to record kiddo and the crazy and fun stuff she does. *I* would never appear on video if I can possibly help it. But kiddo is in chorus this year and I'll have a concert to tape coming up next month.