Thursday, October 1, 2009

Against all Odds – Welcome Maureen O. Betita Aboard!

 - “Hector, I’ll tie yer beard inta one big knot if’n ya pester the lady too much!” Chance spun and glared up at the taller pirate.


 


- “Dear Chance, I’d never be a pest. I’m really quite interesting in hearing about her books. I’ve read A Caribbean Spell and I may have some quibbling arguments to raise…” He paused as Chance glared at him with real ire. He raised his hands, “Trust me! I’m not the nuisance that Sparrow is.”


 


She grinned, Jack was quite put out that she and Hector were given the privilege of interviewing the new author. Considering her series featured pirates, Jack’s favorite subject, he’d campaigned quite vigorously for the privilege. She had no doubt Hector bribed the Captain. Her spirits improved at the thought, she led Barbossa to the bow nets, where their guest waited for them.


 


She spied Deux, lounging next to the guest, in his bare-chested glory. He had flown the lady to the Caribbean from her home along the Monterey Bay. He was owed some time to flirt. The brown-haired lady blushed as he took her hand in his and kissed her knuckles.


 


- “Those Aussies sure know how ta flirt!” Chance chuckled. “Too bad their air force didn’t need ‘im anymore, but ‘e comes in handy ta us!”


 


Barbossa bent a regal glare at the ship’s pilot, who climbed to his feet and introduced the author. “2nd Chance, this is Ms. Maureen O. Betita. Chance is the bartender for the Revenge, Maureen. She’ll mix you up any number of amazin’ concoctions. And lurking at her back is Hector Barbossa. He’s courting her.”


 


- “He is not!” Chance put hands on her hips and snorted. “He’s just after sex.”


 


- “A worthy goal,” Barbossa cut in as he bowed, sweeping his hat to one side. “I have read the first book of your Caribbean series. Absolutely delightful!”


 


- “Well, thank you, Mr…uh…Barbossa.” She struggled to sit up, tried to offer him her hand. The nets undulated some and with an oath, a foot went through the net and a sandal tumbled into the foam below. “Oh, crap. Might as well complete the pair!” She tossed the other into the water and lay back, abandoning the attempt to take his hand. “Barefeet weather anyway.” She waved in lieu of the handshake.


 


- “Call him Hector. Can I start ya off with anythin’ from the bar?” Chance began with her strongest talent.


 


- “I’m a bit of a lightweight when it comes to alcohol, but something fruity would be welcome. And cold!”


 


- “Hector? Ya gets ‘er a Frozen Nipple, will ya?”


 


- “At your command, dear Chance.” He sauntered away.


 


- Maureen glanced at his tall form and sighed, “Nice suitor. I like some grey hair in my men…”


 


- “I did notice that yer characters tend toward an older demographic. Ya doin’ that purpose-like?” Chance began to take notes.


 


- “Yup. I get tired of reading about 20 somethings or 30 somethings. I wanted some 40 somethings in the mix. I’ll get to the 50 somethings, I’m sure. I felt we were an unrecognized group in the romance genre. If that is what I write.” Maureen smiled, turning her face to the mild wind coming over the bowsprit.


 


- “Ya do seem ta defy classification. There must be a real quandary wit’ yer books, where ta shelf them. How did ya end up with three premier books comin’ out in one season?  That seems like quite a feat!”


 



- “Well, I kept sending out manuscripts to any place I thought they might fit. I had always dreamed of Tor taking on the Caribbean series. Then Bantam expressed interest in The Changed World when I attended RT in Columbus. Actually met my editor when chatting with Linnea Sinclaire… Anyway, I adored The Alien Library and on a whim, sent it off to Samhain. When all the calls came in, wanting more, I was totally flabbergasted! Tor was first, then Bantam and while I was basking in that glow, Samhain called! All without an agent! I didn’t know which way to turn!”


 


- “Was it a problem, having three books with three different publishers?” Chance watched as Hector handed Maureen a very large daiquiri, pink and frosty. Her eyes could see the level of rum at the base was extra the normal dosage. Hector winked at her. Why would he want to get her drunk?


 


- “You’d think it would. But there are all very different. A Caribbean Spell is a romantic adventure fantasy series. The Changed World is a futuristic urban fantasy and The Alien Library is pure erotic science fiction.” She took the drink and sipped at it, making an appreciative sound.


 


- “Erotic as opposed to erotica?” Hector poised himself on a side railing, leaving forward as if intent on the answer.


 


- “I gave up calling my sex scenes erotica. They are nice, blunt sex. Erotic, even nasty sometimes. I’m a blunt woman. This is really good. What makes it pink?”


 


- “Pink grapefruit juice,” Chance replied. “I read reviews sayin’ the very same thing ‘bout yer sex scenes.”


 


- “Yeah, they thought they were telling me something I didn’t know!” Maureen chuckled. “I got some nasty letters about the historical inaccuracies in A Caribbean Spell also. Dolts! It says right up front…” She took another sip of her drink.


 


- “…An alternate Caribbean world.” Hector finished her thought. “I do like the map on the back page.”


 


- “Thank you! I fought for that. At least with The Changed World and The Alien Library I don’t get the same sort of arguments tossed at me.” She licked at the rim of the glass, now empty. “May I have another?”


 


- “Of course!” He rose to see her order filled.


 


Again she watched him walk away, “Nice ass.” Then she hiccupped and blushed. “Sorry, don’t want to poach in your territory…”


 


“Nah, feel free. He’s gifted.” Chance shrugged, knowing Hector, he’d try to get them both into his guest cabin at once. He had the stamina, it could be fun. “Now, where da ya gets yer inspiration? These three books seem ta spill from different sources.”


 


“I am a lucy dreamer. *hiccup* I mean a lucid dreamer,” Maureen stretched on the nets, totally at ease. “Damn, I love to sail… Oh, the dreaming. A Caribbean Spell was inspired by the pirate movie Disney put out, of course. But where it goes in the 30 volumes I’ve since completed would give them a heart attack. So, they are mine, through and through. The Changed World came to me after watching the History Channel series on Life After People. I thought…what if there were a few people…and I had a very vivid dream about it. The Alien Library was a waking up in the morning dream…left me wondering… What if aliens needed a human library organized? Now, why this came to me? No idea…” She smiled brightly as Hector handed her another drink.


 


- “This is a Mighty Mast,” he explained to her the tall, slender glass.


 


She examined it a moment, then snickered. And took a sip. “Pomegranate to make it ruddy red?”


 


“Aye,” Chance shook her head, knowing she best get this interview done with so the crew could ask questions afore the author was totally inebriated.


 


- “How can Miranda hope to remain monogamous with her Captain Reynard considering she is a sexual witch?” Hector asked. “Any other rivals going to enter their cabin?”


 


- “Rivals? No, but that situation will eventually be addressed. Patience, Hector!” She giggled. “I knew what I started with making her that way that things might get complicated… But I am a free thinker.”


 


- “I’m so pleased to hear that!” He beamed at her. “Your website hints at an auxiliary poetry book…”


 


She chuckled, tongue teasing the edge of the glass. “Yes, well…Miranda writes erotic poetry. I wanted to put them at the ends of the books, but the editor liked the idea of a fan book. Actually, it’s a good idea. I think it will debut after book five.” She blinked slowly, the drinks obviously getting to her.


 


- “What’s next for you?” Chance folded her papers, it was time to let the crew come forward. She saw Jack hanging over the yardarm with a spyglass, watching them. Sin’s monkey jumped at him and with a flurry of limbs, the spyglass began to fall to the side. Sin came swinging out on a line and swept it up, saving it from the Kraken…


 


- “Next? Well, I’ll keep promoting the books. Working on a blog of my own and touring other blogs as I go. I must say, this has been one of the nicest! Tall ship, sailing, Caribbean beauty, handsome pilots… You interested in having a resident writer on board?” Maureen blinked a bit blurrily, “But you all write, so I’d have to get in line…”


 


- “Any other outrageous ideas on the horizon?” Hector reached out and gently helped the author out of the nets, holding her drink steady, as well as her body.


 


- “Well, I got one about a man born of fox mother who falls in love with a married couple and rocks their world. And another about a winged fairy race that turn humans into fairy through a sort of sexual metamorphosis. OH! And another really nasty set of stories featuring a group of seven fallen angels…Well, I think they might be angels. I’m not sure yet…”


 


- “I can’t wait!” Hector steered her to a ready barrel. He eyed Chance who nodded, so he beckoned the rest of the crew forward…


 


Genre, genre, the eternal question. You read any books that don’t fit inta one particular genre? Like Maureen’s? Questions? Anyone? I be mannin’ the bar, let’s get snockered! Maureen already is!


 


 


 

58 comments:

RKCharron said...

Hi :)
What an interesting way to interview, like a short story.
Thank you to Maureen for joining the fun.
I've read Urban Fantasy that was more Paranormal Romance and vice versa.
I loved Maureen's tale about 3 books and 3 publishers.
:)
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo
PS - Is Maureen on Twitter?

Hellion said...

Maureen! It's so delightful to meet you--and I love your book covers (why didn't Sophie think of that?).

I'm not sure if I've read any books that have defied genre labeling--otherwise how would I have found them on a bookshelf in a bookstore? But I have read TOR books, which usually publishes more fantasy/science-fiction sorts of books--and it seems of late, they've gotten more lenient about having "romantic elements" to these sorts of books. Same with the typical romantic publishers.

I'm not sure what Laurell K. Hamilton is classified as but I think she stakes the edges quite a bit.

I do have a question about the erotic bit. I have heard that "romantica" is hot, heavy, blunt sex that's been romanticized a bit. But erotica is the hot, heavy, blunt sex without necessarily being romantic. Why would you say that you don't write erotica then? (Unless it's because you don't like to be labeled? Which is clearly something you hate. *LOL*)

I am so impressed that there are so many volumes of The Caribbean Spell. I love series books--paranormal/urban fantasy in particular, and I imagine with a big of imagination that's what your books are classified under. I'm going to have to run out and get the first in the series! Huzzah!

Jane L said...

Good Morning Chance and Crew!
Well... Maureen, honey you must pace yourself! I see you have started the party without us! Hector shame on you for getting the poor girl this drunk!

Genre, I really dont read outside of my historical genre. I do read a few paranormals that are friends or aspiring writers and when I think of paranormal I think vampires and such. But I find they have tossed in anything outside of the "standard guidelines" as paranormal. I do not think Maureen's books are PN, I think they are more of a romantic fantasy, So who decides this? Why is it not possible for publishing houses or the romance writing world in general to open up new catagories, to fit these types of stories in? In my opinion, it would open up the world of romance to yet another level.
Ok, Yes Hector, I would love one of pretty pink drinks your making! Mmmmm delicious!

terrio said...

This is a wonderful interview. Great job Chance and thanks for bring Maureen to our attention.

Mo - Do you mind if I call you Mo? No? Lovely. So, Mo, how long did it take to write so many MSs and did you know where you were headed at the time? I'm guessing your a pantser by your answers, so how do you work yourself out of a corner? Though that is presumptuous of me to suggest you write yourself into a corner. Do disrespect intended. :)

Melissa said...

Maureen, thank you for sharing your stories, all of which defy the odds! You are a true pirate. :)

Your stories sound like so much fun! And all of these stories are inspired by dreams? What in the world are you eating before going to bed? LOL Whatever it is, keep doing it! I love your future projects too, especially the one to turn humans into fairies by some form of sexual metamorphosis.

I'm amazed that you have created not one, but several "worlds." I've tried "world building" myself, and it's a lot of work! It seems like if you do the work to create a stand alone "world" then you almost have to revisit that world. Actually, I have an idea to tie all my stories, whether directly in a sequel or subtly in a story within a different genre, to this "world." In my current WIP, the tie to this world is subtle, likely in the epilogue. Do any of your characters overlap from one "world" to the next?

Yep, you're a girl after my own heart to defy the odds and write what can't be pegged into a nice, definable genre. :)

Melissa said...

I also have to say I would like to know, as Terri asks, if you ever write yourself into a corner and how you might break out. Or do you write yourself into a corner on purpose? I found this blog post once and love what a reader commented:

"If the writer doesn't see a way out of the corner when they get there, chances are good that the reader won't either, and that's what you want, a reader who doesn't know what's going to happen next, but who wants to know. Writing yourself into a corner is an opportunity to heighten reader impact."

It says it so much better than I can. I pasted in the comment I appreciated most, but this was the link:

http://wyrdsmiths.blogspot.com/2007/04/writing-yourself-into-corner.html

Maureen said...

Pardon me if I answer a bit stilted, I think Hector added sometin ta that lst bit he bring me... It sure were a pretty color...

*RK wants to know if you're on Twitter

"On what? Twitter. No, I feed the birds I don't talk with them... Just' not enough hours in the day!

"Actually, if my phone could do it and someone would teach me I might twit, in time. ;)

Maureen said...

Dear Captain Hellion - Thank you for inviting me aboard. I do like your bartender! And her bartender boy? Anyway... I gave up trying to classify what genre my stuff falls under. I write it the best I can and just set if out there. The marketing folks can figure it out. They have degrees in it.

I know from working a bookstore that books tend to migrate to their home. Smart clerks figure it out.

As for the erotica/Romantic erotica/erotic... I think it comes down to how much detail is slipped into the scene. The foreplay tension, how many senses are brought into play before, durying and after. And most romanctic erotica really demands establishing a romantic connection before or after.

I write sex. And sometimes it proves a connection and sometimes it's just sex. It is sex that moves the plot...not always the relationships.

For Miranda, my hero from A Caribbean Spell, she needs sex to power her magic. She prefers passionate sex, but it has to be powerfully passionate to do the best for her magic. In her experience, making love is best, but she's a practical witch and that level is seldom reached. It's sex. Good sec. If she is lucky and inspires more, it's great sex.

For Ivy in The Changed World, sex is a commodity. Like food. It's fun, it's relaxing. Her lover wants more and he eventually gets it...

Cameron finds sex on an alien planet is a long stragne trip, with benefits. But just sex. At first.

I mean, I do get to a deeper level between my couples, but it oftens starts as friends with benefits situations.

My mouth is dry, Hector, can I have another...anything?

Maureen said...

Jane - Be careful of the pink ones...they look pretty but they are powerful! Yes, the genre stuff can be quite trying. One year paranormal is vampires and witches. Cousin Urban Fantasy is lurking about with zombies and sideways magic. Somewhere near by is high Fantasy, full of elves...and zooming around in the sky is science fiction...

I get dizzy trying to follow them all. and they keep fooling around and giving birth to hybrids and some get alone with each other and some don't...

It's like a typical large family gathering. You have to keep the booze flowing for the older generation, who get all fightsie while the youngsters are all off sharing the bong and getting along famously.

Maureen said...

Terrio - Surely call me Mo. We're all one big family today, right?

Oh, I'm a pantser. Sometimes a pantser on a holy hellish ride I'm barely hanging onto. The Caribbean Series took about 3 years. I could not stop writing! I figure there's nearly 3 million words wound into those books. But I doubt they'll all see the light of day. I took my H/H into some pretty kinky and strange places as I deepened their relationship... Not sure the world is ready for a few of the things I did.

*giggle

As for the rest, slower going and I tie myself up into knots all the time! I thought I'd never fight my way out of The Changed World. Loved this book, but managed to get lost for months!

Maureen said...

Melissa - I wonder sometimes what I'm eating before bed. I think it's more what I watch or read. I build a massive overload of places and characters in my head, fall asleep telling myself a story and wake up to find they've been busy in the night creating more children...who play with me as I wake up. If I'm lucky, it's something I can use!

I'm very lucky!

If anything ties my worlds together it's a sense of alternate worlds made up of alternate choices, just beyond where we can see. I like to pretend that it's all out there and when we writers touch something that just flows as if from a fountain...that's because it is there and we just tapped into it.

But there has been talk of committing me... ;)

Maureen said...

The corner in any story is an opportunity to be a real magician and reveal something fabulous. With some corners. Other times you just have to sacrafice the paint and the shoes and stomp out of it, find a better way to get somewhere.

I think with The Changed World, I had too many choices and any of them could take me where I wanted. But I wanted to best one to carry all the rest out. It was hell finding it. I think I ended up braiding some choices together into a ladder and we climbed outta the corner!

Sin said...

Chanceroo, set this girl up with a drink! I need a silent as sin. Stat.

Maureen, darling, welcome aboard the ship. You're tale is really interesting of world building and all the stories that rest inside of your head. Sci-fi always been a part of your life? Believe in the Otherworld as a child and daydream about being a part of that world?

Sin said...

I lucidly dream as well and a lot of what I dream ends up being in a story one way or another. Has your lucidity gotten stronger as you've started writing?

Maureen said...

Oh, look out, Sin. Chance sent Hector over with that drink and he mixes them really strong!

I was raised on Scifi. Sat around the telly watching Land of the Giants, Twilight Zone, Star Trek...the entire family! Dad was a member of the Science Fiction bookclub back when it was Arthur C. Clark, A.E. Van Vogt and Clifford D. Simack... And I read them all. Throw in some Robin Hood, a liberal dosage of fairy tales and a mutant is born!

Bwah ha ha!

My childhood is one big blur. I had an invisible playmate, Mighty Mouse, btw, and I flittered through childhood doing my own thing and going my own way... And, oh yeah, as I matured, wanted the otherworld desperately.

Sabrina said...

Fantastic Interview! Welcome Maureen! :)

Interested in the earlier question about do your worlds overlap. If they don't, how do you keep them straight and in their own story instead of letting them invade each other?

Maureen said...

Lucid dreaming comes and goes for me. I prefer when it's dancing with me every morning, but some mornings are just too cold... I fear the more I write, the more she steps just out of reach. I don't want to wake up my writers mind and lose the magical connection of just free floating dreaming. So I tread very carefully when the Lucid dream weaves her way towards me.

Marnee Jo said...

Great interview Maureen! :)

Life After Humans is cool. My DH and I watch that sometimes. Has anyone been watching Flash Forward? I didn't get to see it last night but I liked last week's episode a lot. All that, what would happen if stuff gets me every time....

A human library? What exactly is that? Can you explain a little more. Sounds interesting....

:)

Maureen said...

I saw a comment out there from Sabrina, but wordpress seems to have lost it. I'll answer it anyway. How do I keep the worlds from leaking into each other.

I actually have a just-fer-me story I keep bubbling on the back burner where anything can happen. Where Miranda can slide into Ivy's world and meddle...where the overseeing aliens directing the entire two species library book bump against something else. I suppose, in a twisted sort of way, I'm writing my own fanfic???

I think by letting that play on the back burner, it's easier to keep them apart in the RW. Wherever that is!

I hear you hand make Christmas Cards, Sabrina. I hope I get one!

Maureen said...

Oops. I guess a human library sounds like something out of Ray Bradbury, eh? To be more accurate, it is a library of human works. On this new planet, there are two species, human and Ix. Both are victims of abduction. A third unknown hand periodically meddles. Most humans arrive damaged, mentally stilted. But along with the humans comes books. Lots of books, of any sort. The Ix are the more adaptable of the species and range from caretakers to despots.

Cam ends up with a caretaker who is building a library of all the books. She is one of the rare few who arrive with all mental abilities intact. And she knows books, having been a bookseller. Long story short, he requests her help in putting together the library.

Of course, things get complicated as the despots and the caretakers battle over exactly why the humans are there to begin with.

It's a fun story. Lots of sex. Of course!

That help? ;)

Renee said...

Maureen, welcome to the ship. I thought I was a lucid dreamer, but mine are nothing compared to yours. I did have wake up several times this morning after hubs left to my bed shaking, at one point I swore I saw a ghost standing over me trying to get my attention. I'm sure it was all a dream, but it gave me inspiration for a much needed scene.

It's wonderful to know you throw genre out the window. I hate being in a box of genre classification.

Sex witch and metamorphosing humans, absolutely fab!

Marnee Jo said...

That does help! It does sound like fun. And much different from the original mental image I had of a bunch of humans, pressed into books, pulled out as reference materials when aliens need information.

Maureen said...

Marnee - Your library sounds sorta interesting, too!

Maureen said...

Renee thanks! I admit, I am a sexual user. Of sex. For one thing, sex is a very practical way to invade a body. Defences are down, nice direct route to the other systems of the body... I'm not one for needles or surgery, so I use sex...

For good and bad.

And sex is fun, period. I do find a charge runs alongside good sex. A good orgasm raises energy, so why not magic?

Sounds like you have a touch of lucid dreaming whether you're aware of it or not. Though lucid dreaming sorta needs awareness... Well, you were aware enough to find something useful in the experience. That counts!

Maureen said...

Crew, I need to take my adorable dog out for a stroll.

- Hector? Will you row me over to that little island? I don't want her to mess up the Revenge...

- Chance, you own a dog, too!? Want to come along, I'm sure they'll get along famously.

- We'll be back in an hour or so! All three of us.

terrio said...

If we didn't all have multiple personality disorders before....

Sabrina said...

Maureen - I've added you and 2nd Chance to my Christmas Card list so you'll see my horrible craft skills later this year!

I love doing them, that doesn't mean they are good!

terrio said...

In my entire adult life, I think I've gotten Christmas cards out twice. And that was the last two years. Of course, I'm lucky if they are in the mail by 12/26.

Once I found a stack of cards I'd made out, addressed and never stamped. For some reason I moved them with me for several years before throwing them away. One of those DUH moments.

Renee said...

Terri, I'm the same way. I buy them and the stamps, and never get them out. Well I take that back, the last two years I've sent Christmas cards to all the designers we work with, but never to family.

terrio said...

Renee - That makes me feel so much better. But you know, there is a perk to not sending them. It means others rarely send them to you. Less mess and less stuff to throw away after the holiday. :)

2nd Chance said...

And if'n they are, that's what the Kraken be for!

Maureen said...

We're back! I look forward to seein' the cards, Sabrina. I'm sure they aren't so terrible.

Melissa said...

Last year I sent out thousands of Christmas cards. None of them were from me, they were all for the attorneys at a law fim. A job for their secretary which the secretary passed along to me, the floater secretary. Hundreds and hundreds of envelopes to stuff, stamp and address. Every day. All day. A bad, bad flashback. LOL I do NOT want to see any more Christmas cards.

2nd Chance said...

I found some wonderful winter solstice cards once...I could get behind those!

We get these ones from some relatives we've never met. They always seem to find us whenever we move...it's sorta spooky. And we never send them cards!

Think they're in the CIA?

Melissa said...

...a bunch of humans, pressed into books, pulled out as reference materials when aliens need information.

Marnee, that does sound cool. :) I like that.

Maureen said...

Honestly, I thought of a lending library of the sexual sort. But that's just where my mind goes when it comes to things like that!

Hector, I need another one of those pink drinks!

I do not have a fixation on alien sex!

I don't think...

Hector? Do you have a green card?

Melissa said...

LOL There you go then, Chance, er, Maureen. For your lending library idea of the sexual sort, just change the word "information" in Marnee's idea:

…a bunch of humans, pressed into books, pulled out as reference materials when aliens need sex.

Melissa said...

Hey, if you don't grab that idea then I will. LOL

Maureen said...

Sorta creepy, but very effective visual...

Melissa said...

It's the "pressed" into books that gets me...I'm thinking holograms.

Yes, I get inspired by the oddest things! It's going in my ideas file...Hmm, I first did a paranormal historical regency, now a contemporary parnormal with a ghost, next would logically be aliens. :)

Maureen said...

What about paranormal alien ghosts? ;) Or regency era aliens...in space!

Maureen/2nd Chance said...

Melissa - I think we were seperated at birth.

Melissa said...

Nah, that's just weird.

LOL Kidding! Why not? Isn't it strange how the oddest ideas can become universally endorsed? I mean, somebody came up with the idea for the new hit Flash Forward and it probably sounded kinda silly: the entire world blacks out for 2 minutes and everyone sees a vision of the future.

Not so silly now?

Melissa said...

You snuck a comment in between. LOL But why not for that too. LOL

Maureen/2nd Chance said...

I watched the first episode of Flash Forward...nice idea but I just didn't think it was well done enough for me to stay interested... We'll see. That was last night, right? No, it's tonight...

Melissa said...

I actually missed the first episode, but watched the second episode last night. It wasn't hard to catch up. I think it's interesting with the one couple where the wife sees in her future that she's having an affair. It looks like they're going with a self fulfilling prophesy thing. The happy couple go from denying fate to the husband being all jealous once the "mystery man" of the future shows up. So he'll turn into an ass and what do you know...an affair seems not so impossible? Anyway, I'm not sure it's a show to love, but it's one of those psycological what if/time travel things that draws you in.

Maureen/2nd Chance said...

I liked the premise, but found the acting very flat.

Melissa said...

Note to self: make psycology another minor at college. How many minors can someone take anyway? LOL

Melissa said...

Probably too many characters. Where have I heard that before? Oh, yeah, something about my first book..

terrio said...

Melissa said:
Hmm, I first did a paranormal historical regency, now a contemporary parnormal with a ghost, next would logically be aliens.

That is some weird logic, girlfriend.

I didn't watch Fast Forward. Too out there for me. Don't watch Fringe or stuff like that. Oh, but did you see there's a new Stargate coming on? I'm not a fan of that either, but thought one or both of you (since you were separated at birth and all) would be interested.

Melissa said...

Nope, never heard of the show. LOL

Maureen/2nd Chance said...

I liked the Stargate movie, and watched the first series...but it fell off my radar. Last Chance enjoys all of them!

I heart Fringe. So freakin' strange!

Quantum said...

Maureen, My mind is boggling at the thought of all those books waiting to be published. I had no idea that such talent was loose behind the bar! Though come to think I have had the odd glimmer through the alcoholic haze. :lol:

It must feel very odd to be interviewing your alter-ego in this way, though you can of course ask the questions that you most want to answer... which I believe you have! *grin*

I have always thought that sex was magic, but what a great idea to have sex as the engine generating the magic. Sort of like a vampire, but much much nicer. I could definitely buy that! And did you say there are five volumes. Good Lord, that makes quintuplets.

It sounds as though the sorcerer's apprentice got hold of the cook book and the cauldron!

How long do we have to wait for a book signing, and why aren't you offering free copies like the visiting writers?

I could enjoy a little sex driven magic to help me on my way!

By the way, I always suspected that the 'hill billy' chat was a smoke screen hiding a formidable talent.

Now I know ... you can't fool a scientist! 8)

Can't wait to meet Miranda if her broomstick flies this way.

You should have let her answer some questions! :lol:

Fab interview.

Melissa said...

Actually, don't have cable and for some reason, don't get Fox on broadcast tv either. Something to do with living in the middle of nowhere.

Maureen/2nd Chance said...

I know, I've lost control of the blog, but since no one else is here...

Still willing to answer questions and mix drinks, btw.

*echo
*echo
*echo

Maureen/2nd Chance said...

Ah, Q! I'm blushing! Fer you, I'd send ya the first volume... Actually, I could do that. No audio though, lovey. I could manage a PDF file...

Actually...swallow...there be 30 volumes of the Caribbean series. Why do you think I hide behind the bar so much? :)

What would you like to ask Miranda? ;)

Quantum said...

Thirty volumes?!!!

This is beginning to sound like star trek on a broom stick *grin*

My email for fun-stuff is quantumphase@supanet.com
I would be honoured to read the first volume. I can convert to an audio book using computer voices. But please don't feel obliged. The magic of interviewing yourself, and Hector courting you with drinks could have lead to rash promises!

I will also certainly buy the volume when its available.

My question for Miranda:

Miranda dear, may I ask whether you find that sex under a full moon is most potent for your magical generation. And when flying by broom do you use the ancient Ley Lines for navigation? We have a lot of those here in Britain.

Just aim for stone henge. I will guide you in if you care to visit. :D

Maureen said...

Miranda replies:

*crooked smile

I'm quite partial to whole moons, Dear Quantum. I have no broom, alas, save that used for sweeping up the cabin. Though we have a cabin boy who is quite adept at cleaning up after the Captain and I. Ley Lines do prove most helpful in assisting with navigation, however with my magical Riding abilities. No, not that sort of Riding!

The British are so wicked... Though most of my experiences involve the military sort. But I'd rather not talk about those gentlemen! And I use that term losely.

I Ride the currents of time and reality. The Captain and I returned Stonehenge to the Irish in our world, but I'm sure yours is still standing tall.

*raised eyebrow

I don't want to draw the ire of Mrs. Q... I can always share some magic with you both!

I am dedicated to all manners of pleasure, after all! If Captain Reynard won't mind.