Saturday, June 27, 2009

If This Guy's a Ken Doll, I Wanna Play Barbie....

It's no secret that movie critics hate, loathe, and despise romantic comedies. In fact, if the romantic comedy isn't something like The Break Up (NOT romantic and NOT a comedy) or an Indie film version of what is considered romantic and funny, then they will pan it every time. I've been waiting for The Proposal to come out since I saw the trailer clip; and fortunes of fortunes, I got to go yesterday to watch it.

In the last movie review of it I read--the movie critic being a woman, no less--she panned it that Ryan Reynolds was a Ken doll, with all the acting abilities, et al, that a plastic icon can generate. All I have to say is that bitter, angry critic can kiss my romantic-comedy lovin' butt. That movie was a riot. And I enjoyed staring deep into Ryan's big brown eyes and holding my breath every time he took off his shirt.

The naked scene is ten-times funnier than it is in the movie clip.

Now you may be asking yourself, why is the Captain being allowed to blog hotties today and not Terri, who is impartial...and not seen The Proposal. The Bo'sun is busily writing her last college paper [update: finished her paper and final and is now intoxicated with excitement] --and well, she said you can't have enough beefcake pictures of dear, darlin' Ryan.

Great news! We have two great guests this week.

Monday we welcome the awesome and possibly insane (you'll understand when you hear what she has in the works) Victoria Dahl to the Pirate ship for the first time.  Victoria is celebrating the release of her second Contemporary novel, START ME UP, this Wednesday.  If you haven't already, add that to your TBB list!!

Then Tuesday we keep 'em coming with the return of one of our favorites and honorary Pirate, Dee S. Knight. Dee has TWO releases this month, the Paranormal Menage Romance novella THE ELIXER in the Tasty Treats anthology and the full-length THE FIREMAN AND THE ICE QUEEN from Liquid Silver.

Who's your favorite hottie this week? And what do you think of romantic comedies? Love 'em or hate 'em?

Bo'sun edit: It seemed a shame to waste this blog after the Captain worked so hard on it.  And wasting this kind of eye candy is pretty much a crime, so I'm cheating and using it today. PIRATE. 

13 comments:

2nd Chance said...

Ya be a real trickster, Terrio!

I thought the movie were grand. I most enjoyed the settin'... I been to Sitka and this made me want ta go back! I thought Ryan perfected the look a' deer in headlights...and I don't think that be an easy thing ta do so well!

And I do like romantic comedy. Much more than heavy drama. I go ta movies ta be entertained! I wanna laugh, damn the critics!

Elyssa Papa said...

I would have this man's babies. 'Nuff said.

Squee on Vicky being a guest! I love her and her books! Plus, she's wickedly funny.

Maggie Robinson/Margaret Rowe said...

He must have something if he snagged Scarlett Johansson. :)

I love romantic comedies. Notting Hill is one of my faves. I just want to laugh and feel good when I go to the movies now---now "issues" flicks for me.

Janga said...

He can't be a Ken doll. I'm sure this one is "anatomically correct." ;)

Unlike some critics, I don't feel that I have to prove my intelligence. I love romantic comedies--the old (The Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby, It Happened One Night) and the new (Love Actually, When Harry Met Sally, Sweet Home Alabama).

Marnee Jo said...

Sigh. Just thinking about his anatomical correctness pretty much is goin to make me happy all day....

Yummmy....

terrio said...

Did Janga really go there? LOL! You go, girl!

I don't think I really fell for Ryan until I saw Definitely Maybe. That's when I was hooked.

Yay for Victoria and Dee!!!

Sin said...

I agree with Ely. I would have his babies. And I would be super happy about it. Even with all the stretch marks and flabby skin afterwards.

Hellie said...

I've been in love with Ryan since Two Guys and a Girl (TV show). I've always adored his humor, sarcastic delivery, and deer in headlights look. And he's a Scorpio, so the sex has got to be hot, right? Lucky, Lucky Scarlett. *LOL*

Totally cracking up at Janga's remark. Good one!

Yeah, for Victoria and Dee!

Irisheyes said...

Okay, you convinced me. I have spent the better part of the past 2 weeks at one ball field or another and I'm ready for some "ME" time!!!

I'm on my way out the door to drool over Ryan. I called up my friend and said let's go out to the movies. I told her The Proposal and she said do you think that's appropriate for the kids? I laughed and said no kids! No Transformers. No cartoons. A real live adult romantic comedy just for us! She actually paused and said unbelievingly "Without the kids? That would be awesome!" Like I was suggesting a trip to Hawaii or something! LOL

terrio said...

Hope you had a good time, Irish. I spent the day shopping for conference and by some miracle, got everything I need. Whoot! Even the right shoes! LOL!

Mari said...

Absolutely. I think that movie critics dismiss romantic movies the way literary critics dismiss romantic books.
I love them both.

Hellie said...

Irish, darling, let us know what you think. I hope you enjoyed the movie if you actually took some ME time and a girlfriend out to see it!

Marn, me too, me too.

Olivia Strickland said...

Great looking Blog! Found it through Google. Just as an FYI, it didnt display right when I opened it in the Opera Interet Browser.