Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Summer On Blossom Street: Or Why You Should Take Up Knitting

I have a confession to make: I cannot knit. If you give me a pair of sticks, I’ll probably try to grill meat with them.


But I admire those who can wield those sharp, pokey sticks with any sort of flair that leads to something remotely wearable. Things non-meat related. However, the fact I cannot knit does not mean that Debbie Macomber’s new book, SUMMER ON BLOSSOM STREET, excludes me in any way. After all, not everyone in the book can knit. The foster teenager, Casey, tries knitting and fails spectacularly, leading her to be uber-grumpy about the whole lesson. I was totally with her on it: knitting is stupid. (Long live grilling.)


But then a few minutes later, under the tutelage of the heroine’s sister Margaret, Casey was crocheting like a pirate takes to rum. And I laughed because I can crochet like no one’s business. It does seem people can do one trick or the other, but not both. It’s almost like being right or left handed.


In any case, there is something about that scene that is so Debbie Macomber. She will never exclude you; and she knows with just the right guidance, you’ll find the right place to thrive. I would hazard a guess that in most of her novels, this is the theme that presides. No one is excluded; and everyone, with the right nurturing, can thrive. After all, if there is anyone who knows about thriving in a business that seems to be exclusive, it’d be Debbie.


I met Debbie Macomber at a writing conference in Chicago, where she was giving a lecture about harvesting for new story ideas. With as many books as she’s produced over the years, she certainly is speaking about something she knows.


However, Debbie is a sly one. She is always looking for ways to expand her audience; and her cleverest way yet is in the series of books she has now, about knitting. At the conference class, she called this strategy “looking for trends.” I call it “being insanely genius in that Law & Order sort of way.” Now when you read Debbie Macomber’s new book, not only do you get a story, weaved (or knitted, if you will) of several characters who interact with each other, but you also get the knitting pattern so you can make the knitting project yourself.


Now, in her newest book, she’s taken this up a notch. This novel hinges around the concept of “Knit to Quit”, which knitters meet together as a support group to work on a project and also work on quitting a bad habit. Mostly this concept was created for smokers, but clever Debbie expanded the idea to all bad habits.


Upon reading this idea in the book, I went “cool idea!” and bought yarn to crochet. After all, it’s difficult to crochet and eat Cheetos at the same time. In fact, it’s impossible unless I tie the bag to my face as a feedbag and crochet at the same time—and frankly, even I have limits. Debbie is onto something with the Knit to Quit thing. It’s not working as effortlessly as I’d like, but it does keep me out of the Cheetos. And Peanut Butter Cups, most of the time.


Not all the characters are as prosaic as me. Here I want to moderate my intake of junk food; but one of the main characters, Phoebe, wants to quit men altogether. (I find this to be even more extreme than the Cheetos feedbag, personally, and would never try it with any real sincerity.) Another wants to quit stress (another thing I could identify with, right down to the doctor’s visit who said, “You need to relax already.”)


If the trendy “Knit to Quit” strategy wasn’t enough, Debbie proves to be ahead of the curve with the “chocolate issue.” One of the knitters, Hutch, is the CEO of a chocolate company, a company that is being sued by a woman who said the chocolate made her fat and it was all their fault. You know, for making it taste so good. I snorted at this, thinking it was only a matter of time before Hershey’s finds itself in litigation for making someone fat. I mean, look at that crazy lawsuit the old lady won from McDonald’s. Of course the coffee is hot! Duh.


And then I saw this article. A chocolate TAX. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Debbie wasn’t just making up random lawsuits. She was predicting the future! (And God forbid they start fat-taxing our chocolate!)


I’m impressed. Debbie definitely practices what she preaches about writing. Look for trends—and twist them. Write about things you have a passion for, that you know. And while you should always stretch your writer’s pen, you shouldn’t be someone you’re not. Readers will always find you out. In these things, Debbie always delivers—and she always gives a little more as well.


Definitely go check out Debbie’s new book, SUMMER ON BLOSSOM STREET. You don’t have to be a knitter—hell, you don’t even have to be a crocheter. Within a few pages, you’ll find yourself included and engrossed in real problems you’d find on any street in America, and comfortable in the knowledge that Debbie will make it all work out in the end.


What trends (with twists) have you found in books lately? Anything that’s really stood out for you that you thought was clever?

28 comments:

2nd Chance said...

I love what I call craft cozies... I read one where the protagonist is an arts glass blower. Another makes candles, another knits. Scrapbooks, tea shops, coffee shops...and lots of cooking H/h out there. Do I do any of these things? No!

But I like to read about them. The details put into them makes them intriguing. As if you think this might be something you could do if you had an extra day in your day.

Book restoration was a clever one. Going to Ren Faires also. Writing travel articles for magazines... Judi McCoy's newest is a dogwalker in New York City...wonder if I could do that? I've also read one on clothing trends...

I'd like to see one with a connection to science fiction/fantasy conventions. That could be a lot of fun!

Maggie Robinson said...

I neither knit or crochet and have given up sewing (the world applauds) and crewel work, but I also like the crafty, cozy stuff occasionally. In RL I lived on an island where the sewing group was called Stitch and Bitch.

I like the peer and peeress sleuths out there. (Raybourn, Alexander, Harris)

Marnee Jo said...

Hmmm.... Trends in books. I'm totally blanking today. Like real life trends? I've seen a lot more books with texting in them. I think that's kinda neat, but it takes away any plot element around not being able to get a hold of someone. I mean, that's kinda the basis of texting isn't it? Being available to everyone at a second's notice?

I think I need to think harder. I'm not up yet, I think.

Sin said...

Debbie was SO incredible sweet to meet!

Hm, I must admit that I don't notice trends in books. I'm very unobservant. Except when it comes to mentions of music in writing and then I'm paying attention in case there is something I've missed.

Thanks for blogging today Hellie. You know you're my favorite girl. *g*

terrio said...

Marn - You're doing a lot of thinking for someone who can't think of anything. :)

I learned to knit (from the fabulous Loucinda McGary) last summer but haven't picked it up since. Can anyone explain to me the difference between knitting and crocheting?

I've seen the knitting trend in other books lately and I'd say it's a throwback to the days of the quilting bee. Years ago women created reasons to gather, like quilting or canning or what have you, and they were really just excuses to be together and gossip and share without having to hear any grief about it. It sort of made the gab session legit. LOL!

I'm really liking the idea of finding a hobby that will keep me out of the food. And I'm even interested in the quitting men thing. I'm already started on that one, but reinforcement is always helpful.

Hellion said...

2nd: I think that's the plot device of a cozy mystery. A cozy mystery always features an amatuer sleuth like a sort of MURDER SHE WROTE person. Instead of the typical murder mystery writer, you give the H/H a job that is also "artsy" (i.e. not bound by the hours of 8-5 and a non-understanding boss) and have them solve the crime. You have to admit, if your primary job is blowing glass or scrapbooking or knitting, you can probably sneak away to find clues. Also, if you're the artsy type, no one thinks you're a) bright enough or b) "daring" enough to scout for clues.

It's a good plot device, I think.

I'd like to read about book restoration. That would be cool to learn.

Hellion said...

Crewel work is intense! I could never do that! I'm lucky to sew seams and attach buttons. I suck at zippers...but I press on. I do love making costumes.

What is the peer and peeress sleuth? *furrowed brow* Is that like the Jane Austen solves a mystery books I've seen??

Hellion said...

Marn, I agree. The ways we can get ahold of each other now totally screws up a lot of the urgency factor of having to do something alone or being in danger. If you're kidnapped and you can text the hero, "HELP I'M IN THE BACK OF THE VILLAIN'S BMW"--that's not as intense as if the hero mysteriously finds you without that information.

You have to create characters--who are believably NON-tech savvy and loathe technology. Or even if their tech savvy, take them somewhere where the technology doesn't work. Hell, I only have to drive 18 miles out of Columbia and I can't make a cellphone call. Take them to a little cabin in the Colorado mountains. You can't text there.

terrio said...

I think Maggs means when a lady of the peerage goes around solving mysteries. Isn't that what the lady in the Raybourne books does? Sort of Historical mysteries that involve people of the ton.

And it's Romance Bandit Kate's book that has the book restoration, right? Gosh, I can't remember her last name. I'll go look.

terrio said...

Kate Carlisle - Homicide in Hardcover

http://www.katecarlisle.com/

Hellion said...

Sin, Debbie Macomber WAS incredibly sweet to meet. And I loved-loved-loved her Keynote Speech. Granted I don't hear many of them, but I think it's always going to be the best, most inspirational one.

I love the story about her being dyslexic, typing out stories on a manual typewriter, and sending them to publishers...and just kept doing it, not matter what. And the story where she was sending out her LAST one--she almost couldn't part with it at the post office and sent it out. Then got home and got a letter from the publisher where they told her not to send them anything anymore. And she was devastated because of the postage she'd paid. (Times were very, very, very tight.) She thought she would have to take a job; thought she'd have to give up writing forever...and then, after that horrible letter, after thinking all that, she got the Call. It was like a miracle. (You know if a miracle can be made from HARD WORK and PRESEVERENCE.)

Hellion said...

Knitting you're doing it with two sticks; and crocheting is one stick that has a tiny hook on the end. I find crocheting a HELL of a lot easier. I think knitting, if done right, looks neater when creating scarves and such. But crocheting makes that lacy look to afghans and stuff, which I don't think knitting can do.

I suspect you're right about Stitch and Bitch groups or Knit and Bitch groups are throwbacks to quilting bees. I think the conversation is a lot more open than then though. Quilting bees weren't exactly made up of the "colorful" people of society, like the hooker with the heart of gold. So I think indepth discussions of sex for fun would be few and far between. Unfortunately. And the gossip would revolve around people they probably thought were "Fallen", which isn't as fun gossip for me. *LOL*

terrio said...

I like the look of those baby afghans so I think I might like to crochet better. Not that I don't like to knit, I haven't done it enough to know one way or the other. LOL! But I'd love to be able to make little afghans. I have a while one someone made when I was born and it's still in wonderful shape after almost 40 years. (Did I type that out loud?)

Sin said...

They don't teach that shit anymore. Hard work and preserverence... it's like a myth to teenagers. If they don't get it by throwing a fit like a 2 year old having a tantrum, they just give up.

If nothing else, listening to Debbie's keynote speech in Chicago gave me hope that even if I don't get published, just believing in myself will make the world of difference.

terrio said...

That's "I have a WHITE one..." Sorry.

terrio said...

Keynote speeches (and I've only heard two..lol) are so amazing and inspiring. This sounds very much like Sherilyn Kenyon's story. Her's involved living with bugs and typing on a card table and tons of rejections and yet she pushed and kept going and look at her now! She'd having us laughing one minute, crying the next, then laughing again.

Hearing how long and hard some people struggle to make this happen almost makes you feel guilty for thinking of giving up. LOL!

Hellion said...

Yes, Sherrilyn Kenyon's story is also AMAZING. I love to hear hers as well.

And usually when I read Sherrilyn and Debbie's stories I realize I haven't suffered nearly enough. *LOL*

Hellion said...

Well, Terri, I can show you how to crochet a baby one when I'm there next week. And about the time I realize you're a lost cause with it, I'll get to come home again...it'll be great fun for us.

terrio said...

You have a point. Maybe you'd be better off teaching Kiddo. She'd love it! LOL!

Hellion said...

If I wanted to teach children, I'd either be a teacher OR have them, Terri. If you want kiddo to learn, I'll teach you and you can show her. *LOL*

terrio said...

You don't realize what you're saying. Wait until you meet her. She'd be a MUCH better student. And she's the size of a grown up so it won't feel like teaching a child. LOL!

2nd Chance said...

I be the plague a' crafts. Best a' intention, wit' zip follow thru. Me sis, not Last Chance, but the other one...she be a whiz. Actually crocheted me weddin' dress...

Makes sense ta have the sleuth free enough ta leave the office. Tho I enjoy one where a buddin' true crime reporter, back in the 40's I think, has ta break away from her job ta get the job done.

I did read a sweet one where a knittin' group bound women tagether to 'elp the heroine thru tough times.

I use FB fer that and Jane-o!

haleigh said...

I can neither knit or crochet. My grandma tried, on numerous occasions, to teach me to crochet. I can make that one long string of loops just fine - it's the hooking one chain to the next that always lost me. Though I've got to start doing something with my hands so I stop picking at my finger nails - maybe I should try to learn again. That'd be fun *g*

I like this in books - it provides an extra way to connect with readers. A lot of books seem to be including recipes now too (of course, I'd have to know how to cook to pull that off *g*)

2nd Chance said...

I do not cook, but I enjoy readin' of those that do! I really enjoyed the series by India Ink featuring some wonderful perfume details...

I agree, it is a great way to connect with the reader.

Hellion said...

I love cooking! And I love books that have recipes in them. I'm almost tempted to read cozy mysteries just so I can read the recipes. *LOL* But I really don't like cozy mysteries and wish more romances included recipes instead. *LOL*

I loved Like Water For Chocolate, even though I don't like literary novels much, because of the recipes/cooking aspect of the novel.

Hellion said...

2nd: perfumers are rather neat. I think it would be very interesting to learn how to blend scents to make something elegant or energizing...or romantic.

2nd Chance said...

Her books are mysteries, but also a bit more I'd say. Romance is there... And she includes recipes on blending natural perfumes!

Irisheyes said...

I didn't get to pipe in yesterday (at work in a school and can't access this site - go figure), but I was going to say what Hal did about authors including recipes now. I've read several books where the heroine (or hero) is a chef/cook and they include recipes in the books.

Picking a hobby and/or talent to bring a group of people together to create that community feeling is pretty smart, IMHO. Especially, when the group you've formed wouldn't normally associate with each other - all sorts of story ideas can sprout up.