Monday, April 27, 2009

Angie Fox: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Demon Slaying


Hellion: Welcome back to the ship; and I want to take this opportunity to thank you for returning! (You’re hardier than most of our visitors—we admire that about you. Then again, you do write about demons, so probably little scares you. Certainly not a bunch of drunken pirates with the attention span of toddlers. Good!) Okay, okay, first question. How have you been and what have you been up to lately?


 


Angie: Other than chasing around the towel-holding hunk from Terri’s post yesterday? He’s a fast one. Darn the luck.


 


Hellion: With as much as the entire crew has been chasing that guy with the towel, you’d think he’d be a bit winded and easier to catch. But no dice. Nothing but prime beefcake on this vessel!


 


Angie: I'd expect nothing less. Right now, I’m writing book 3 in the Accidental Demon Slayer series, tentatively titled A Tale of Two Demon Slayers. In it, Lizzie and the gang travel to Greece where they learn more about Dimitri’s past and a threat that could destroy them all. I’m having a ball with it because it’s so much fun to explore Dimitri’s home, his family - and who knew he had such a juicy past?


 


Hellion: Greece is definitely the place to have a juicy past. And we here on the ship do adore men with juicy pasts. And juicy lips. And juicy backsides…well, not really so much juicy as…never mind. Please carry on.


 


Angie: I also have a story in The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance 2, which comes out on Halloween. And then I’m working on a voodoo novella for this amazing anthology that I’m not allowed to announce yet.


 


Hellion: Excellent! Great authors should always have something available for us to devour! Speaking of things to devour: you have a new book out today: The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers. What’s it about? And what were your sources for constructing a handbook for Lizzie? Any ancient grimoires you’ve stumbled on in your research?


 


Angie: *LOL* My research led me to some pretty interesting places, but no grimoires. Guess that’s why poor Lizzie had to write a demon slaying guide of her own.


 


In this latest book, Lizzie is determined, once and for all, to master her powers. In fact, she’s going to write the book on demon slaying. So she begins a journal, The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers, where she records what she’s learning, starting with newfound discoveries about demons, gargoyles and a particularly mischievous live spell named Beanie who likes to fill Lizzie’s boots with pumpkin spice latte.


 


Things get dangerous when the demons get their hooks in Dimitri. He’s much darker and sexier in this book. And we introduce a new character, Max, who is half demon and 100% yummy.


 


Hellion: Not just one, but two? That's ambitious! Writing yummy demon heroes is hard work. (Translation: writing is hard work, but writing about yummy men doing romantic, wonderful, SEXY things: even harder.) What are your tips for creating yummy alpha heroes and also keeping your writing fresh as you continue the series?


 


Angie: Well, I was just down at the Romantic Times Conference, hanging out with cover models, so that certainly didn’t hurt. Seriously, though, for me it is about channeling what I think is sexy and giving that kind of guy to my heroine. I also gave Dimitri an adversary in this new book, which spices things up. Lizzie, of course, is true to her man. But she does need the help of a smoking hot demon hunter and let’s just say jealous griffins are even more sexy than the ones who have it all under control. Plus, having two glorious men in one book is never a bad thing.


 


Hellion: Nice. See, I knew there was a reason I loved you. You also know there is so no such thing as too much of a good thing. I see the book is set in Las Vegas. There are writers’ articles galore about not skimping on setting (definitely my weakest link)…and as you know, not skimping usually involves lots and lots of careful, thoughtful research. So how did you research for Las Vegas? Elvis movies or weekend-binge trips or a combination of both? (I insisted on this question because I want to set a book there and need to know the best way to go about this…since I’ve neither watched Elvis movies nor gone to Vegas.)


 


Angie: Well, it was a tough job, but somebody had to go to Las Vegas. I sacrificed for my craft and decided to take a long weekend with one of my girlfriends. I admit it. I had these images of cool hotels and shows in my head. Then reality hit. I write about biker witches and a preschool teacher turned demon slayer. These folks don’t have a lot of spare cash lying around. This wasn’t my trip – it was theirs. Good thing I like odd adventures.


 


Aileen and I decided see and experience the biker witch version of Sin City. We stayed in the cheesiest hotels we could find. We ate at Bob’s Big Boy. We even visited a dude ranch with armadillos, a boar and several very old chickens.


 


We were able to talk our way into some behind-the-scenes places as well. The climax of The Accidental Demon Slayer takes place inside the Hoover Dam, and we were lucky enough to be invited to see first-hand what I’d be writing about. A guide took us far down into the inspection tunnels they used in the 1930’s and 40’s, when the cement was still curing. It was amazing to see the notes these inspectors made on the walls, to hear the stories of those that didn’t quite make it out and to walk the same old metal steps that they did. All of that made it into The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers, along with lots of things I had a blast making up (this is fiction after all).


 


Hellion: Okay, that’s just way cool about the tour of Hoover Dam. (Spooky place too!) And good work on going authentic and eating at Bob’s Big Boy. Regarding the “biker experience”, I took your biker name quiz and ended up named: Two Date Tessa No Brakes (which incidentally is what a lot of people were calling me anyway—have you seen me drive?). What’s your biker name and do you think it fits?


 


Angie: I’m Looney Libby No Brakes, which I suppose means we’re related. Does that mean I can borrow your car?


 


Hellion: Sure, cuz, but remember it has no brakes. Corners nicely though. What is up next for Lizzie? Any exciting details to share about what will be next for our intrepid demon slayer and her protector?


 


Angie: Lizzie is finally coming into her own in this book. She’s chosen this life and she’s ready to take on her first big challenge as a demon slayer. This is a darker book than the first one, but it needed to be. It still has the humor (and the talking dog), but here Lizzie is really learning about her new powers and she’d dealing with the fallout of some choices she’s made.


 


One thing I do want to say, though, is that I’m writing each of these books as a stand-alone novel. There’s an entire story and a happily ever after in each, so it’s easy to jump into any of the books without reading the whole series.


 


Hellion: I’m glad each of the books can be read as a stand-alone, even though they are part of a series. I know many readers are leery of “reading out of order”, but I find that you can read them out of sequence and not feel you’re missing major backstory.


 


This is your sophomore published novel. Was this one harder to write than the first, easier, or about the same? And to be all Keith Anderson, did you feel more pressure with this book or the first one? (Or were you not feeling one way or the other until I brought it up as a suggestion you should be. *LOL*)


 


Angie: It was harder to write this book because I had to get over the idea that people were actually going to read it. When I wrote The Accidental Demon Slayer, I wanted to have it published, but I didn’t know if anyone would buy it. Then suddenly, less than a year later, that book was a New York Times bestseller.


 


It was a complete shift for me to think that not only would some people read that next book, a lot of people might. I had to force myself to get over it by telling myself that I could toss any draft at the end of the day. No guilt. Just toss. Knowing that, I was able to relax, have fun and tell the story.


 


Hellion: Okay, that’s a little humorous that your writing block (if you had any) was the knowledge someone was actually reading your books. *LOL* Is there anyone in particular you like to read? Has there been a book you’ve read lately or one on your TBR pile you’re dying to get to?


 


Angie: Oh my first love will always be books. Being a writer hasn’t changed that a bit. Favorites lately have included Katie MacAlister’s Ghost of a Chance, Blue Diablo by Ann Aguirre, Stakes & Stilettos by Michelle Rowen (her entire Immortality Bites series is amazing), Accidentally Dead by Dakota Cassidy, No Rest for the Wiccan by Madelyn Alt, La Vida Vampire by Nancy Haddock, Midnight Sins by Cynthia Eden. And I can’t wait to get my hands on Dead and Gone, Charlaine Harris’s new one that’s coming out soon. And on Beyond the Rain, a debut by Jess Granger that has been getting lots of great buzz. So many books, so little time!


 


Hellion: Man, I’ve never heard a crew scribble so fast. Great list! Lastly, you do these blog Q & As quite a bit—and I’m sure you get asked the same sort of questions all the time. Are there any questions you wish you were asked? Like what’s your favorite cheese, or your favorite color pen to write with?


 


Angie: Hmm…my favorite cheese is Laughing Cow on crackers (that’s usually my snack when I write), I can never find any pens around the house (thank goodness for computers). As far as something nobody has asked – my middle name is Marie. Now aren’t you glad you know all of that?


 


Hellion: I am! My middle name is Marie, so now I know we’re definitely kin! *LOL*


Angie: I didn’t doubt it. Oh and to celebrate today’s release, I’m giving one lucky pirate a free copy of The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers. Just take the quiz Are You Part Demon Slayer? and post your score in the comments section. The winner will be picked at random. Oh and if you post that same score to my author blog, you’ll be entered to win a walk-on role in the next Accidental Demon Slayer book.



46 comments:

Marnee Jo said...

Angie, welcome back to the ship!

What a great interview! Well, since I'm first, I get to ask the first questions! Woot.

So, what's your writing process like? I guess that you probably plot some, especially with all that fascinating Sin City research under your belt, but do you write every day? In a particular spot? Are you of the vomit it up and revise later ilk or more of the revise as you go sort?

terrio said...

Great to have a Best Seller on the ship! Congrats on all the success (makes me wonder what you're doing here...lol)!

Let's get this out of the way. I'm 37% Demon Slayer (which is what I suspected...I'm quite boring) and my biker witch name is Owl Eyed Olive Uni-Brow. *scrunches nose* Not liking that so much. Now I'm having plucking panic.

I love the interview but the comment that caught my eye was writing a voodoo novella. I see you can't tell us much about the compilation, but I'm interested to hear about your research in this area. That's one creepy topic and I'm curious to hear what if anything freaked you out while researching.

And I'm also happy to hear these can all stand alone. I have hundreds (seriously, it's bad) of books on my TBR shelves just waiting for me to finish school and dive in this summer. You're part of those stacks and knowing if I grab one out of order I'm good makes me feel better. LOL!

Hellion said...

I want to thank Angie again for blogging with us today and being such a fun interviewee. :) Now if only it didn't have to all happen cyberly and we could have conducted this at Shakespeare's over a pizza and some beer.

Hey, Angie, do you use any "reward systems" to help you write?

Do you have any fan girl moments when you meet other authors? And who would they be? And has the fan girl moment happened to you?

Janga said...

I can't believe I'm more demon slayer than Terri, and I like my biker witch name too. Leggy Lucy Steel Butt! Talk about a fantasy alter ego!

So, Angie, are you doing on-site research for the next book? Greece as a setting--I love that! And I'm pretty sure I have exhausted my allotment of exclamation points for the day. :)

hal said...

Hi Angie! Welcome aboard and great interview! My question for you is about query letters. You're lovely agent Jessica posted your original query to her on her blog back in January, and said it was a "perfect example." First off - congrats on writing such a great one! Second - got any advice for the rest of us? LOL! You're voice is so clear in the letter - did it take you a while to come up with that letter, or was it easy for you?

hal said...

woo hoo - I'm 49% demon slayer! And here I thought my life was boring :)

hal said...

nice Hellie :)

Hellion said...

Janga, you can use as many exclamation points as you want. :) Really! No, really!!!

Angie Fox said...

Hi Marnee Jo! Congrats on being the first one up and at 'em this morning.

My writing process is part planning, part goofing off. I have an idea in my head of where the story needs to go, (like it's in Vegas and we're going to end up in the tunnels under the Hoover Dam) but I find if I plan too much, I lose the excitement. In a lot of ways, I have to be discovering the story with the reader. That's what holds me to the page and makes me anxious to get back to the keyboard every day.

But then once I have a chapter down, I'll polish it until it's pretty final before I move on. I like that security blanket of knowing I have a solid book behind me as I move forward. Kind of like building a staircase, one step at a time.

I usually write while hanging out on the green couch in our living room. It's near my Diet Coke stash (a necessity for writing) and also by my laughing cow cheese and crackers. A girl has to stay close to the goodies.

Angie Fox said...

Hey Terrio! This is actually one of the blogs I've been most looking forward to - I remember how much fun you guys were the last time.

The voodoo novella is sooooo much fun. It's set in New Orleans and I've always loved that city. I've been plenty of times and now get to go again (squee!). Let's just say I'll be visiting a lot of the voodoo shops, stopping by St. Louis Cemetery Number One and hanging out at Taco Bell. All for the story, of course.

One of the things that I've found really interesting so far is how focused voodoo is on good vs evil. Spells and gris-gris bags are a part of everyday living and some of the spells are a bit freaky - like if you want your man to stay true, put a little of your blood in his coffee. Let's say it together - yuck! And that little fact is not making it into the novella. This is a romance, after all - an offbeat voodoo one - but a romance all the same.

And yes, one of the things that drives me crazy as a reader is a cliffhanger ending on a romance. So I don't do that. Each book is a standalone story with a happy ending.

Angie Fox said...

Hi Hellion! You're such a tease, talking about Shakespeare's pizza. Although my husband was in Columbia this weekend and he did bring home a half bake, so I'm not as crazed for Shakespeare's as I would have been last week. :)

I don't have any reward systems to help me write. The key for me is to only write about characters and situations that get me excited and make it so that I have to get back to the keyboard every day.

Like last night, my husband said, "You're not going to be doing your voodoo story tomorrow, are you?"

He'd caught me putting together a list of bookstores to visit today. I like to sign new books in our local stores so that readers can have autographed copies. I told Jim, "No, with The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers out today, I wanted to run around in the afternoon."

Then, because he's lived with me for long enough, he said, "This is going to drive you crazy."

And he's right. I'm busting over the release of the new book. I love The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers - it's deeper, darker, sexier and scarier. I can't wait to get out and sign copies in the stores and I can wait to hear what readers think. But it's still hard to leave my current book because that's the one I'm discovering.

And, yes, I have fan girl moments. One of the best things about having books published is being able to meet some of the authors on my keeper shelf. I've embarrassed myself gushing to many, including Charlaine Harris, Dakota Cassidy (that one was recent, and thank goodness she's so nice) and Laurell K Hamilton.

Angie Fox said...

Hi Janga, or shall I call you Leggy Lucy? Nice steel butt, by the way.

And yes, I have done on-site research for the third Accidental Demon Slayer book. It takes place on the Greek island of Santorini and I've been there before. At the time, I didn't know I was going to write a book (hello, missed tax write off) but being there did inspire me to make the hero of this book Greek.

I wanted to write about a man who is both head-strong and adventurous, yet had these classical roots. In the third book, they go back to his ancestral home and I'm having a lot of fun discovering just where an ancient shapeshifting griffin clan calls home. It's like a gothic Pemberly.

Angie Fox said...

Hi Hal! Congrats on your demon slayer-ness. Now you just have to go and get yourself a Harley.

The query letter for The Accidental Demon Slayer took me about a week to write. They key was to not over-think it. I stared by writing down the story like I'd tell it to a friend.

i.e. If someone asked, what are you working on? I'd say, "Well, there's this straightlaced preschool teacher..."

Then I took that and slowly refined it and punched it up. I'd work on it a bit each day so that I could keep my perspective. And I ignored the whole rule about starting by saying, "Hi I'm writing an 80,000 word paranormal" because I figured I had one chance to hook them and if they were really interested, they'd read on. And it's also pretty obvious from a query just what the genre is going to be.

Does this help?

Angie Fox said...

Now I have a question for all of you. If I behave myself, can I take home a souvenir? Like towel guy?

haleigh said...

thanks Angie - that does help on the query letter!

And you've got it backwards - this is a pirate ship. Behave and we'll make you walk the plank. It's the bad girl that takes home the towel guy :)

Marnee Jo said...

Angie, thanks for the insight into your writing. That's awesome. And thanks for the thoughts on query letters. I think that the best query letters definitely have some of the author's voice in them and when we over think them, they sound, well, blah.

PS, Hal's worrying, but the one she's working on rocks.

terrio said...

Angie - I've heard the one about putting the blood in the spaghetti sauce (what movie was that?) but not the coffee. Either way, double ICK!

And the bit about going inside the Hoover Dam reminds me of Transformers. (Shut up, Hell.) Find any giant, frozen alien robots in there? LOL!

Hal is right, bad behavior is not only encouraged around here, it's rewarded. LOL! There's plenty more where my towel guy came from. Just search out any of our Hottie Crew Members and you'll find all the souvenirs your heart desires. ;)

haleigh said...

you're sweet Marn :)

terrio said...

Marn is more of a slayer than I am? I expected the Captain, even Sin and Chance, but Marn? Really? LOL!

I'm loving the idea of the query based on how you'd tell a friend about the book. There's such a fine line to walk in those submissions between sounding professional and sounding conversational, but I'm liking this approach.

haleigh said...

I thought of the Transformers too *g* But how cool to wander around beneath the Hoover Dam? Or Greece. Or Vegas - really, I'm just jealous of all your cool travel!

Marnee Jo said...

There was a question on there about hanging out with magical and interesting creatures (my wording's wrong) but I included you lot in that.

You're welcome.

Hellion said...

Magical, Marn? Really? Is it because we all have the glittery (and magical) hooha? *LOL*

Hellion said...

I had to lie to get my Slayerness, but I'm a pirate so it was expected. In reality, I think I'm more like 10% slayer.

And I echo what my crew is saying: bad behavior is rewarded around here. Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere...or the "only good girls keep diaries. Bad girls don't have time." *LOL* (Plus why write down something that will only incriminate you later? "What do you mean you think I nag too much?" I mean, it's a bitch when your mother finds the darned thing.)

So lure the towel boy as much as you want and steal him off the ship. That's exactly the sort of behavior that we expect and will talk about for months after!

2nd Chance said...

Hmmm. Why didn't my widget thingy show up? Is this a sign? Aye, I be 65% demon slayer...

Marnee Jo said...

I leaned heavy on the interesting part.... LOL!!

2nd Chance said...

65%

Was that good? ;)

I got the same biker name as Terrio...sigh. But I ride a Vespa scooter, so I gotta adjust that.

Feel free ta raid the bar, I be nervously puttin' tagether the series proposal requested while at RT...!!! By an actual editor!!!

(I'm usin' up the rest a' the exclamation points...)

Wasn't that a great gatherin'?

BTW, I be the bartender here on the Revenge... Any advice on how ta do this proposal thingy right? (Besides quit tremblin' when I try to sit at the keyboard and envision all the terrible things I am capable of doin' wrong...)

2nd Chance said...

I gotta brag... Me sis got 78% on the demon slayer quiz! She just won't post while at work... Last Chance got 78%!!!

terrio said...

I'm going to lose my pirate card. *sigh*

I'm thinking the undead monkey takes the magical part and we take the interesting so Marn's right on. LOL!

Don't forget the poisonous eyelashes.

2nd Chance said...

We have cards?

I'll have a poisonous eyelash...is it made with rum? Lots of rum? Lots and lots of rum...in fact, I'll make it with lots and lots and lots of rum...because I am the bartender so I can make it that way.

If Sin is finally outta the rum barrel that is...though that could be the poisonous part.

terrio said...

Angie - Can you tell us how these anthologies come together? Does your editor come to you with the idea? And how different is it to write the novellas vs. the full length novels? Which do you prefer?

Angie Fox said...

No kidding? I forgot to look for giant, frozen alien robots in the Hoover Dam. This is what I get for reading books instead of going to movies at night.

Angie Fox said...

Well the thing about queries is that agents and editors want to be excited. They are looking for ideas that make them want to stop and read more. So if you can phrase the query in a way that makes them go, "Ah hah!" Then hopefully you're on to the next steps.

Think of a query letter as a first date. You're just trying to be entertaining enough to get that second date (er, I mean partial request).

Angie Fox said...

Fantastic on the series proposal request4! Congratulations!!! And feel free to use all the exclamation points you need - that is a wicked cool accomplishment.

Now a series proposal is a bit like a glorified query. Be conversational. Be simple. Make it easy for them to see just how great your series is going to be. Make sure you're really clear on the hook and how that applies to each book.

I put one together for books 3-5 of the demon slayer series. My basic intro was one page and then I did a quick synopsis for each of the three books.

Good luck!!!

Angie Fox said...

Okay I nearly spit Diet Coke on my keyboard. Lying about your slayerness? You guys are too funny.

Good thing I had towel boy's towel to wipe up the mess. Yum.

Angie Fox said...

Both my anthologies so far have been organized by an editor. They come up with the theme and the title and then invite writers to do it.

Usually the invite comes through your agent. The voodoo anthology happened slightly differently because it is with my same publisher and my editor a) knew I was on deadline for the third demon slayer book and wanted to run the timing past me and b) knew I'd be fall down happy because (okay cat slightly out of the bag, but...), Katie MacAlister is the lead author on it and I'm a huge Katie fan. I think my editor wanted to deliver that kind of news personally. "Hi. Do you want to be in an anthology with your favorite author?" Commence the squee...!

terrio said...

I think that's a perfectly valid reason to want to be part of an anthology. Just think, your name on the cover right under hers (I'm guessing under but I'm sure you should be the one on top...just sayin'). That has to be cool. It would be like me getting to be in an anthology with SEP or something. I'd die of excitement.

2nd Chance said...

Thank ye, Angie. I'm excited. The pitch went so well...then the request for MS stuff. I was all a'twitter the rest of RT!

I still wants the rum...

Did yer editor know ya had more than one book in the beginnin'? Or did you? I heard such conflictin' advice on whether ta reveal me book was the first of a' series...

Help yerself to a hottie, but don't take the pilot. I needs him...fer Friday's blog.

Angie Fox said...

We'll let Katie be on top. Does that sound naughty? I'm just happy to be there. :)

Sin said...

damn wordpress to hell, it won't post my demon slayer percentage picture thingy.

Sin said...

53%

Sin said...

I'm SO sorry I'm late.

*trying to catch my breath*

Angie!! Welcome aboard again!

I have to say that I took the what's my biker name and have been deemed, "Fast Frankie Fast Pants" and can tell you it's not the first time someone has called me fast or called out my pants.

53%

Which is unfortunate for me because I am a demon. *hahaha*

And since I've missed most of the convo today, I must read all the comments.

Angie Fox said...

That is a fantastic way to spend RT - all a' twitter.

When I was pitching book 1, that's all I pitched. If they're going into contract, they usually end up wanting more. Like my editor offered a 3 book contract and then we negotiated it down to 2. But when you sell it, you just talk the first book.

Sorry my answers are getting shorter. I'm typing with wet nails (we're leaving for the book launch party soon - yay!) If anyone is in St. Louis, we'll be in the Central West End at Brennans. Starts at 6:00 - lots of food and rum for the pirates. All boys welcome except for the pilot. We don't want him hung over for tomorrow's blog.

Marnee Jo said...

Thank you for inviting us, Angie. I'm in NJ, so the travel makes it impossible, but I feel like you'd be a party to have a beer with. I'll look for you at conferences I attend. :)

Thanks for being here with us and congratulations on your newest release! I hope it sees the top of the NYT bestseller list. We'll squee here and make sure a hottie crewmember is available when you stop by. (They don't do much but sit around and wait for us to need massages anyway. A tough life.)

terrio said...

Thanks again for being here and I hope the party went off with a bang! I've been working on business simulations all night and totally forgot to check back. I'm ready for one of those massages so I'm taking a couple hotties to my cabin. Good thing I upgraded to the extra large hammock. ;)

Here's to great proposals for Chance and Best Seller lists for Angie!

Angie Fox said...

The party was a blast - beer and books. Who could ask for anything more?

Thanks for having me - you guys are always so much fun. And the eye candy doesn't hurt either. ;)

Head’s Up! : said...

[...] that need reviving. And if you need a little bit of demon slaying to wake you up a bit check out Romance Writer’s Revenge’s guest pirate, Angie [...]