Thursday, April 23, 2009

Back to the Basics

You need to trust yourself, especially on a first draft, where amid the anxiety, and self-doubt, there should be a real sense of your imagination and your memories walking and woolgathering, tramping the hills, romping all over the place. Trust them. Don’t look at your feet to see if you are doing it right. Just Dance.

-Anne Lamott                  



    As most of you know, I started writing by way of fan fiction. I borrowed characters and placed them in my own unique environment. A sort of “practice” drill for writing my own story. What I didn’t understand during the start of my writing life is the crutch that I formed by writing in a world that was already present and familiar to me. I found a great deal of insecurity in the transition from writing fan fiction to writing an original story of my own. Therefore, my solution was to go back to the basics of writing, and practice, practice, practice.

In my journey, I discovered a book that has helped me tremendously. A Writer’s Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life by Judy Reeves. This book may be very elementary for some seasoned writers, but I find it a refreshing companion, and helpful tool. The book has twelve chapters, one for every month of the year. Each chapter contains counseling and words of advice, words of inspiration, and literary lore and legend. Each month begins with one of twelve “Guidelines for Writing Practice” that are used to help you along the writing practice road. Incorporated in the exercises is everything from auditioning words to using your dreams in writing. You’ll learn how to build a writing community if you don’t have one, and how to say yes to the muse. Easy to use checklists give you the telltale signs that let you know when the critic, the censor, or the editor are having their way with your writing. Subjects are cross-referenced so you can easily find related information.

Throughout the book, the experience, wisdom and opinions, and even a few quirks of a number of well-known writers are presented in “The Writing Life.”

Closing out each month is “Beyond Practice”- special invitations for writers to treat themselves. Consider these a reward, or bonus for a job well done. With titles such as Cafe Writing On the Road; Hot Nights/Wild Women; and A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread-a Notebook, these twelve self-directed miniworkshops encourage writers to set aside a once-a-month special session to honor themselves as a writer and nourish the writing-self.

The book contains many elements and facts that never fail to bring a smile to my face. Like the list of famous writers and their day jobs. Did you know that  T.S. Elliot was a banker? Or that  William Faulkner served as a postmaster for the University of Mississippi post office. Charles Dickens pasted labels on bottles of shoe polish, and Zane Grey was a dentist. I felt myself being a lot more inspired by these revelations than I probably should have.

Each month fresh and new exercises are given as challenges. Writing prompts are given to enforce each aspect of the chapter. It is always reinforced that time and practice are of the essence. Much importance is given to setting aside time each day for writing, and creating a calm work environment, that facilitates the muse. The book stresses to always listen to your heart about what direction you want to take your story, and never force an idea just to facilitate the portion of the story you enjoy writing.

The most valued lesson I learned was recognizing my ability to undermine my best writing intentions. I put a damper on my writing spirit by making excuses not to write, and holding unrealistic expectations. Most of all, through this book’s exercises, I learned to believe in myself as a writer, no matter how much I lack in education or experience. I’ve accepted that writing a novel is a slow process. My daily exercise is taking a deep breath and focusing on the journey.

The present key to my writing life is practice.
 

Do you ever use writing prompts to tickle your muse? Do you take time to pamper your writing spirit? Do you find you excel in your writing life, with the more you write?

 

 

 

38 comments:

2nd Chance said...

Climbing aboard from Orlando...one morning where I gots time ta breath!

Thanks fer postin' this book, looks like somethin' I could use when the days get too long and the writin' too short. I really like the cover!

I've never used writin' prompts ta get going, save fer when I was doin' the Morning Pages, ala Julie Cameron guidelines. But I do find conversations start me off with mild story ideas. Like the newlyweds in an elevator wit' a Klingon, fairy and hobbit at a convention... What be their story? (The newlywed, not the costumed!)

Can't help but wonder what that conversation is when they reach their room...?

Sin said...

This is another craft book I own (thanks to Lis :)

I'll admit I haven't cracked it open yet. I'm hopeful after the next two weeks I'll be able to get my muse roped back into the swing of things and I'm going to give this book a try.

Sometimes writing prompts help me. Sometimes it hinders me because I become so focused on the prompt that my muse just decides to screw everything and fly away. And it's hard to imagine my muse flying away since she's only got one broken down wing, but she does. She's spiteful.

Lisa said...

Chance,

I feel honored that you have time for little ole me!

I hear things are going well for you in Orlando. Awesome mate!

I want to read the conversation from the newlyweds:) What a vivid imagination you have. I can see the picture of the elevator ride in my mind

The book does have a great cover.

Lisa said...

Sin,

I'm sending you a wing and prayer Babe. LOL I love the writing prompts in this book. They spark my muse and get me out of the realm of the familiar. Just what this fan fiction writer needs:)

We can always go on a muse round up. You know, you, me and a road trip. *g*

Hellion said...

I've had this book for about 10 years at least. Probably longer. I remember buying it new and paying full price, back in the day when that was a very big deal to me. Okay, it's a big deal to me now, too, but it was a bigger deal then because I made like half what I make now.

Anyway, I thought it was brilliant enough to pay the cover price. *LOL* And it was. I still flip though it occasionally and use the writing prompts. I like writing prompts; and I'll flip along and read here and there on writing tips. It's all very inclusive and reassuring in its advice. It's a wonderful book.

Yeah, writing is like every other exercise. The more you do it, every day for example, the less the excuses take hold (i.e. I don't have time, my family misses me, my favorite show is supposed to be awesome tonight) because you've carved out the time and stuck to it. One day I plan to be with writing like I am about the gym, where the gym guy goes, "Hey, you're here by yourself! On a non-class night!" Yes, yes, I am. And I plug in my time and do it. And I feel rather good at the end, even if it's not the best workout I ever had.

Sin said...

I need Hellie's dedication.

Sin said...

Trust me, I'm debating the merits of a road trip right now. LOL

I'm going to see what my schedule looks like in the later part of next month going into June. I think it might be time for a little mischeif making- babe style.

Hellion said...

Right, MY dedication, where I skipped the gym on Wednesday and made myself go last night because I knew I wasn't going tonight. Right. I'm such a stellar gym rat.

YOU have a treadmill at home and can run whenever you want.

I have about 7 gym DVDs and I don't use any of them. Usually I do something ironic like pop them in, then watch them from the comfort of my couch.

Stephanie J said...

Sounds like a great book! I've never heard of it whch sounds strange since it seems like you guys all know of it...

I'm not much for writing prompts but I wonder if it wouldn't be good for me.

Sin said...

I haven't been to the gym in forever. I usually try to make Tuesday night because of kickboxing but I've been working until late every night and by the time I leave here, I'd have about 5 minutes of class left. :(

Haven't been using the treadmill either. It's gathering dust. LOL

Sin said...

Stephanie, I wouldn't know about it either if it hadn't been for Lisa sending it to me for Christmas (because she's awesome like that).

Lisa said...

Hellie,

I am so envious of your work out ethic. Damn, I wish I had it. I have an elliptical machine that I use for a clothes rack when I iron:)

I'm glad you have his book, it has awesome writing prompts. And the legend and lore is so quirky. I love quirky little books!

Marnee Jo said...

I don't own this one. And I used to like to do writing prompts but these days I haven't the time. :) I end up cramming sentences in on my WIP when I get a chance. LOL!!

But I love inspirational writing books and it sounds like this would be right up my alley.

I think I'm getting better the longer I write. I read stuff I wrote just a year ago and I think, wow, I've come a long way.

And I haven't been to a gym in, well, longer than I'd like to admit. Oh, and I own no work out equipment.

Lisa said...

Stephanie,

Go to Amazon and peek inside the book, maybe you can read enough to see if it will work for you. It helps me tremendously. I love the prompts, and the exercises. It is great for learnig how to write deep POV, and description. It kicks my muse in the butt:)

terrio said...

I don't write or workout or own this book. I get the loser award for the day. Yay me!

This somewhat more serious jump into writing happened because of two writing prompt situations. One - drabbles on the EJ (pre-JQ) board where we were given a quote or line of some sort and had to use it in a 500 or less word story. Two - The Avon Fanlit contest of Ought-6. Though most people don't have any idea I took part in that one. LOL! It was Regency and that's not my thing, but I still had fun and scored higher with every round, reaching the top 50 by the end. That was the bite I needed.

I sure hope practice makes you better because that's what it's going to take for me. Wanting to do it and thinking about doing it doesn't cut it. LOL!

Hellion said...

But you willingly COACH little league for a bunch of little girls who've never even seen a bat...so you get your own award.

I do miss madwrites.

terrio said...

So I get the loser and Crazy-lady-who-needs-to-learn-the-word-NO awards. LOL!

First game tomorrow. I swear I'm way more nervous than they are. It's either going to be really ugly, or slightly less ugly. Either way, it's going to be interesting and HOT (90 degrees!).

Sin said...

I'm going to fight for the loser of the day award. My own boss doesn't recognize my hard work. My best friend blows me off for lunch. Matt and I are fighting. I haven't read the book. I don't write anymore. And I haven't been reading either.

Ter, I think we both need a drink. This day sucks.

Hellion said...

I could use a drink.

Matty's always fighting. He's not happy if he's not being a blowhard. It'll be okay.

Sin said...

I could use some tequila.

Hellion said...

So long as you're purchasing directly from the source, like say, some obscure Mexican village where you would be completely off the grid and unfound, then I'm sure we can find you some.

terrio said...

*Passes rum, straight up to Sin*

Here's to this day being over. Though I'd prefer to drink to the next two months being over. Can we arrange that? Tell you what, I'll smack your boss around, go a few rounds with Mattycakes, if you'll come handle my senior seminar business simulation and coach the softball team.

Deal?

Sin said...

Deal.

*drowning myself in a keg of rum*

Lisa said...

I had a long lunch with a friend.I had two shakers of margarita's, so I drank enough for all of us!

No one is a loser on this ship...no one I say!

We are too cool to be losers. *g*

Sin said...

Only cool people drink rum from kegs and can keep their sea legs.

Lisa said...

I just noticed I made my margaritas a possesive in my last post. Hum...I must be more drunk than I thought. But it does make sense, they do own me right now. LOL I'll have to ponder the issue.

I still have my sea legs, because I'm cool like that:)

*channeling Sin...road trip...road trip.*

Lisa said...

Ter, I admire your little league savy!

Hellion said...

I love it when the Powdermonkey is tipsy. It's a good look for her.

And I realized the typo in my last message to Sin--NO bolting below the border for "real" tequila. I know what you're really up to.

Lisa said...

*straightening my wind blown hair, and saddling the cannon*

I have a much better aim when I'm tipsy.

I do wish we could have a pirate convention. We wenches would be a hoot all in one city:)I don't know if we should risk so many glittery hohas in one town.

2nd Chance said...

Guys...crew...beloved friends and closer-neighbors-than-before... Orlando is awesome... *giggle

Someday, when I'm on all the covers of the magazines, I will remember who my real friends were. Sin, get the hell out of the rum cask! I want to propose a toast! To an editor who, today, asked me to write a proposal for a series!

Here, here!

Lisa said...

CHANCE!!!!!

You lucky wench!!!!!!

I'm so happy for you!

Here! Here! Rum all around!

terrio said...

I was the one sitting in Chile's in the Margarita bar but Lisa was the one drinking them. LOL! Nice!

Lisa - DC isn't that far away. In time or in distance from you. LOL!

Don't be surprised if the Hottie this Sunday is a baseball player. I'm going to need to recruit one of those to get me through this and it would be silly to waste the opportunity to find a hot one. LOL!

Technically, we're not Little League, just Fast Pitch Softball. But we have bunting (not the my girls have a clue what that is) and stealing so very similar.

terrio said...

Forgot to say, around Noon tomorrow (Eastern time) think "Go Neptunes!"

Di R said...

Hello, Pirates!!

Great week of blogs.

My keyboard died this week, so I couldn't comment, but I could (and did)read them. Several have been printed out and highlighted.

Thanks for putting them all together, it was an inspirational week.

Di

terrio said...

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment, Di. We're happy to know anything we write has been helpful.

Annie West said...

Lisa,
I may be too late commenting but for what it's worth, I've found the more I write the more productive I am, AND the longer I writer for the more I realise how important it is to do things other than write (and I don't mean housework). It's great to have time to get completely wrapped up in your story (I dream of times like those - they're pretty rare here) but having other interests and activities keeps a writer fresh.

Lisa said...

Di,

Thank you for boarding the ship and letting us know our efforts haven't been in vain! Glad you stopped by.

Lisa said...

Annie,

It's never too late to comment on this ship! Thank you so much for stopping by and giving some much needed wisdom. I find practice makes nearly perfect, and writing is not like riding a bike. Writing takes continual effort, and perserverence.It seems when I take a break it's even harder to write once I find my way back again. But, as you pointed out, life happens:)