Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Twilight

The horizon never quite looked this good. I was sure of it. I looked out at the watercolored hues meshed together in perfect harmony- pink swirled with the fairest shades of orange and purple. Dark purple clouds loomed nearby threatening the dawning stars. The brilliance of the sun struggled to hang on as it fell closer and closer to its nightly doom.


I felt at peace. That didn’t happen often. But somehow as the afternoon faded into dusk, everything seemed to fall into place. Even the way the cold glass was neutral beneath my touch seemed right. I could see like I’d never saw the world before. I could feel like I’d never touched before this moment. It was oddly fitting how this all turned around.


 


I never felt alive more than I did right now. Funny how he fought this with every fiber of his being. Tried to push me away and tried to make me see the light. Now that we had eternity together, maybe I could make him see there was no other place I’d rather be than with him. Nothing would keep me from doing just that. Not now, and not ever.


 


Music drifted around me. The strings and soft piano sang to my soul, lulling me take my eyes off the ever disappearing horizon and sway over to the open book on the desk. It was black, high gloss, the pages bound in red at the spine and hardcover to protect the precious story between them. My fingers danced over the words, lovingly written in plain scrawl. Easy to read. Mesmerizing with each word. Emotion that captivated you and pulled you into the scenes. I read every word with rapt fascination and fingered the pages with tender loving care.


 


It was the story of my life. The life I had before I became eternal. Those moments were few and far between in my memory but this… I touched the book and longed to remember. This was how I came to be. How we came to be. There was only one thing more precious to me than this.


 


And that was him.


 


I lifted the book into my opened hand and walked back to the window. The light was fading out. Night had approached. Soon the moon would sparkle over the creek. The starts would splatter against the black, shimmering like a million diamonds in the sky. Though my heart no longer beat, my breathing caught as I realized I was towards the end. It would soon be upon me again. The end of the life I’d been skimming before him. 


 


I looked out over the sky. It may be the end of the memoirs, oh, but it was only the beginning of my dreams. 




©cpt




 


As the stars start to come out over the horizon on Friday night, I will be at my local bookstore dancing like I’ve got ants in my pants for the highly anticipated release of Breaking Dawn (the fourth installment of the Twilight Saga and the ending of the story through the heroine, Bella, POV.)  by Stephanie Meyer. I have mixed feelings about reading the end. I know it’s not the end for them. Even if Stephanie Meyer never wrote another word of them, they would live on in my mind. They would haunt the fringes of my dreams and invade my daydreaming space. The relationship between the heroine and the hero is just so tangible, so real, so breathtaking and beautiful. I find myself forgetting to breathe during certain parts because you feel like you’re a voyeur on the scene and one breath will expose you and ruin it.


 


So today is a fairly easy question for everyone who didn’t make it to Nationals (we’ll just go next year!). Has a scene or a book just swept you away to the point it was all you could think about? How about writing that scene? What makes the deepest impressions on you?

28 comments:

Marnee Jo said...

You know I love the Twilight series. But, I completely got swept away by the scene in Harry Potter, the last book, when he's walking into the forest, knowing he's going to die. That one is pretty crazy.

Sin said...

Yes, I've heard all about Mr. Harry Potter. I just watched the fifth movie the other day. I mean, I'm getting there. Eventually I'll read HP.

Marnee Jo said...

If you're obsessed with Twilight after her books, you're going to die after reading HP.

LOL!!

And the movies aren't even half as good as the books. At least not the last 5 books. The first two books were good, but the last five were awesome.

Sin said...

I've also heard that the movies are only a little taste of the books. I'm still iffy about reading them. Maybe once life settles down and I get over my tiny obsession with the Twilight Saga.

Hellion said...

I have to agree with Marnee. She stole my scene! *LOL* I have teardrop stains on the pages where Harry was walking in the forest and he turns to his "supporters" around him (I can't explain who's with him, it won't make sense) and says, "Does it hurt to die?"--OMG. I just lost it.

I did really enjoy the scene from Slightly Scandalous where the heroine climbs up the tree and she jumps down to the ground, but the back of her dress catches and rips away entirely. NOW THAT was a memorable moment; and the Duke sweeps up and immediately covers her with his coat. *sighs* Gotta love chivalrous. And when she rolled down the hill...and when she fell into the lake/pond...and she was just a mess. And then the Duke starts acting out too, when he's been a stuffed prig all this time! I really love that.

Oh, in Jill Barnett's Dreaming, Lettie--who dreams of having titian hair and being married to Richard who she's loved half her life--meets Richard in the middle of the night, he's playing the piano (being particularly romantic, cynical, and self-sacrificing)...and he does this bit where he tells her he loves her, and then he takes it away. "They're just words. They don't mean anything." (Being cruel to be kind, you see, to protect her from him.) And she just looks at him--I mean, here she'd just gotten everything she'd ever wanted and then he dashed it all away again and mocked her basically--and real dignified she tells him about her mother. How she regretted that the last thing she ever said to her was not 'I love you' when that was so clearly what she felt...and that she promised herself after that, that she would NOT hold back 'I love yous' because you just never knew if you'd ever get to see that person again...and they should know. No matter what, they should know. And then she said, "I've never said I love you and not meant it." And then she left the room and he realizes what an unmigated ASS he is. Great stuff. I love that about Jill's stuff: fluffy frothy heroines, and yet, they could still stop you dead.

Marnee Jo said...

Hellion - Me too!! And how he's listening to his heart beating and knowing that it only has a limited number of beats left.... BOOO HOOO!!

Marnee Jo said...

LOL! Sounds good. I loved the HP books, I really think you'll like them.

Hellion said...

Sin's more a vampire junkie than a wizard junkie. I mean, not only is the Twilight series well-written, but they are about the very things Sin loves most. *LOL* Dark and dangerous alpha males. With chivalrous streaks.

Harry is not really dark or dangerous. Someone is just always trying to kill him.

Hellion said...

Seriously. JK Rowling sold that scene. Book 7 is my favorite of the series...it's just the best. All of them are good; and I love them all for various reasons. In order of best loved: book 7, 4, 6, 3, 1, 2, 5...I don't know...they were all good.

That was one coffee date I did not regret. *LOL*

Sin said...

Oh yes. I do love vampires. It's really too bad I can't be one.

I love all things that are dark and dangerous. I happen to love demons too... which is evident since my love for Al, the demon in Kim Harrison's novels, always makes my top two loves in fiction.

Marnee Jo said...

I think I'm pretty similar to your ordering. I liked 7 best, then 6. After that we're pretty close. You didn't like OoTP either, huh? He was a little too angsty teenager for me then.

Sin said...

I want to smack HP.

Don't throw things at me.

Sin said...

I can still remember in one of the first romances I read there was this scene between the hero, Derek, and the heroine, Lisa, that made me a romance fan. I must have read that scene a million times. They are in the forrests of Ireland, right off the coast line. You can smell the salt spray. You can feel the unshed tears gathering along her lashes. She tells him that she can't be with him and he starts to walk away. And she stands there, wearing this ridiculous sweater (I can remember the sweater because I thought it was a hideous thing to put on a heroine) and after a few seconds of being alone with her thoughts, Derek comes back and kisses her. This was the second romance novel I'd ever read. It totally sold me.

Marnee Jo said...

You can't smack him til you read it. He's way different in the books than in the movies.

I'm trying to remember romance scenes.

How about in SK's Fantasy Lover when he decides he would rather be trapped in a book forever than hurt the woman he loves. That was a heartbreaking scene.

Sin said...

How about the first meadow scene with Edward and Bella. When he steps out into the light.

Sin said...

Something that sticks with me is the ending of Twelve Sharp (Janet Evanovich) when Ranger is shot. It was like I was in the room, handcuffed to the chair, watching it happen and totally helpless to stop it.

Marnee Jo said...

Oh, I liked that scene. I also liked, strangely, the scene in New Moon where he leaves her in the forest. She's so broken, it's heartbreaking.

Hellion said...

Marnee: I go back and forth about the ordering of 4 and 6. Sometimes it's 7, 6, 4 and sometimes its 7, 4, 6...it just depends. 6 was extremely well-written, tight, like the 7th book was. But 4 is where Hermione tells Ron that if he doesn't want her to go on dates with other boys he knows what he can do about it. *LOL*

Sin: *sighs* Loving the Ireland scene. Though I'm thinking a kiss in the rain would be really-really-really nice.

Okay, I know this is not a book (well, it was a book but I haven't READ the book--I swear to God, my degree is getting revoked any day now) but in the movie P.S. I Love You (which I'm a horrible friend; I made my friend watch it with me on our day off "Oh, it's funny, I promise" and I kid you not we cried the whole time) there is a scene where Gerry is walking with Holly in Ireland and is talking about how he won the coat she's wearing in bet.

"How?"
"My friend made a bet that I couldn't kiss a girl without provocation."
"What girl?"
"His girl."
"His girl? How...did you get her to kiss you?"
"Well...I sent out the truth, as I know it, a signal and the woman, she picks up on it."
"And what's the truth?"
"That kissing her would be the end of life as I know it."

GOD I love that line!

I also like that line where she says, yes, my mother does hate you. You corrupted me with sex and charm and the longer it takes you to make your fortune, the less sexy and charming you become. *ROTF*

Yeah. I know that so well. I need some Jack and some rum. :)

Sin said...

Sounds like something you'd write, Hellion. LOL

Sin said...

Marn, you're a true angst lover. But one of my favorite scenes in New Moon is when she jumps off the cliff. Or when she's in Volterra and running towards the clock tower.

Marnee Jo said...

My other favorite from NM is when Edward is trying to convince her he lied to her. I am a huge angst lover, huh?

Sin said...

I had a hard time forgiving Edward. Although, I love him, it was hard to hear him say he lied and walked away.

Hellion said...

I'm seriously going to have to read these books soon.

Sin said...

*nodding* Yes, you are. But I figure they will be like HP for me, you'll get to them eventually. Don't worry. We'll still be talking about them. LOL

Irisheyes said...

I haven't read Twilight and I haven't read any of the HP books (we are all caught up on the movies, though, hurray!).

Rotten mother that I am, I told my kids they had to go to the library and get a book to read over summer break. I figured if I could get them to finish one book over the course of 3 months and a million distractions I'd be doing good. My daughter picked up the first Harry Potter. She said she wanted to see if she could get into it after watching all the movies. She's really loving it. She's set a goal to read them all.

I have a lot of scenes that have stuck with me over the years and most of them are the angsty ones. When an author rips your heart out you usually remember those moments the most. There is a scene in SEP's Kiss An Angel that brings me to tears every time -

*SPOILER TERRITORY* This type of story is one of my favorites - where the hero believes the worst of the heroine (she's a slut, selfish, materialistic, incompetent, etc.) and she's the complete opposite. He doesn't find out until after he's done something unspeakably cruel to her. The scene where he's trying to apologize and make her feel better and she's pretty much numb and just wants him to leave her alone is heartbreaking!

If anyone knows any other stories with that thread throughout let me know. I think the opportunity for a really emotional fall out is huge! The HEA's are usually awesome!

Sin said...

Irish- Susan Johnson has a book that's like that. The cover is purple. If you can remind me, when I get home I'll look at the title and let you know.

Sin said...

http://www.amazon.com/Again-Brava-Susan-Johnson/dp/157566805X/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217444798&sr=1-37

Again and Again is the name of the book. Temporary Mistress is a good one too.

Radley said...

I really liked the way they came off