Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Spring Fling

If I’d kept a diary for a few days like this, it would’ve looked much like this:


 




Wednesday, April 23:

It's about mid-afternoon and I'm so excited I can hardly breathe! Thank goodness I didn't have to write a blog last night because I can't focus on one thing at a time. My suitcase still has to be packed. I still have to buy groceries. I need to clean the house. I need to get at least three loads of laundry finished. I mentally ticked everything off my list throughout the day. Not to mention that Thursday, I was about to embark on my first journey as a writer. Physical journey, I suppose.

I was going to a conference!

Every time I thought about it, I was filled with excitement just bubbling over the edge and spilling out around me. I couldn't wait until Thursday! It was going to be SO much fun!

Thursday, April 24:

Mildly in a panic when I realize I'm actually going to a conference. For writers. Going to a conference for writers. Okay. Breathe in through the nose. Breathe out through the mouth. Breathe in through the nose... Hell, it's not working.

I'm halfway home. It's not even noon
yet. I could turn around and drive away. Hellion would never find me. I can hide until this damn weekend is over with. I can't believe I let her talk me into going. I can't believe I'm actually going to do this to myself. I'm not a writer. I'm a wannabe going to a conference with a bunch of writers.

"Ringadingding. Ringadingding. B###* Muth*$^&&$## F*## &$@#  @$$*(@&!." 

WTH is that?

Crap. The cell phone.

I speed through a light, reach for the phone. Please. Please. Please let this be Hellion saying that the conference is cancelled and I'm getting my money back for being an idiot and saying I was going.

Nope. Dad.

You still coming home on Sunday?
*hard swallow* Yup.

Good.
Click.

Disconnected.

Lovely conversationalist.

I arrive home, still trying to remember how to breathe. It won't be that bad, I tell myself. Hellion will be there. She will be your bumper. She will talk to everyone and no one will notice you don't know how to.

Except we're taking separate workshops. Crapola.

I look at the clock. Look out the door. Hellion is tearing around the corner like the hounds of hell are after her.

Here goes nothing.

Friday, April 25 @ 10:00am
:

I feel much calmer now. We arrived at the hotel without me accidentally making a jump for it. Hellion and I parted ways at the airport last night, me off with a girlfriend to the conference hotel (eek!) and Hellion off with our crit partner, Dee. I'm all alone right now, trying to remember to breathe. My fingers are numb. Probably from the two Venti Starbucks I just had. I have a baby shower to decorate for first before I make my decent into my very own personal hell complete with perfect strangers talking to me. 

This gives me the cold sweats. 

I'm off to inhale some helium. This might help calm me down.

Friday, April 25 @ 12:20pm
:

Oh hell. Oh hell. Oh hell.

There are people downstairs registering!

Surely it can't be too late for me to tuck my tail and run the other direction is it?

I contemplate this as I ride the elevator back up to the room. Not only do I have cold feet. I'm rather cold all over. Maybe I'm coming down with something that will allow me to stay in the room all weekend and hide.

All is quiet in the hall as I sneak back into the room, undetected. 

Wait. It that my cell phone flashing? I gingerly walk towards it, and pick it up like it might burn my hand with acid.

One missed call.

Hellion.

I step away from the phone and it rings. Okay, I went pretty far away from it. I take a deep breath, feeling rather sick to my stomach. I call her back.

We're here. Are you coming down?







*deep breath* Would this be the moment to say no? That would mean I didn't bring my big girl panties and everyone knows ninja's always wear their big girl panties in case they are stuck in an elevator during a fire alarm.


 




Yes.

Friday, April 25 @ 2:30pm
:

I didn't have time for cake. I need cake. People are going to sit next to me and talk in my direction.

Crossover Fiction.

You can do this. This is your genre. This is the reason you came here you nincompoop. Just walk into the room.

Except I have to sit in the front because I'm blinder than a bat at noon
.

Crap.

I put my head down and sit in the front. My awkward long legs almost reach out into the middle of the aisle. I quickly fold them back, wrap around style like yoga. The workshop instructor smiles and I flash my best smile except my inner Chandler rears his ugly head and it's more like a smirk with a bit of torture lips thrown in, probably some crazy eyes. She shrank back.

Yup, me at my finest.

I sit there quietly, head down, notebook ready. Just let me get through this. Just let me get through this.

She's introduced and I notice all the books on her table. Examples, she calls them. Heaven, I silently refer to them. All of them authors I love and adore and instantly I feel much better. I feel at home with my inner reader. And as long as I stayed one with the reader, I was going to be okay.

I even managed to jot a few notes about my para series.

Thank goodness for small favors.

***

The Chicago Spring Fling 2008 was my first conference. This was the first opportunity I had to actually go out and feel like I was a writer. I've got to tell you that I felt anything but a writer when I first arrived. It's easy to pretend in your mind that you can accomplish nearly anything, including 100k before September 01, but when you step into the world of actual published writers, your sense of accomplishment dwindles, at least for me. I was a nervous wreck.

If any of you have met me in real life, I either tend to babble a lot when I'm nervous or I'm extremely withdrawn. I babbled all the way from the airport to the hotel and all night, almost until 2am. Babbling, for some reason, is my natural defense against an extreme case of nerves. I didn't know anyone but Hellion and Dee
going to this conference. Which meant I was going to have to talk at some point and not that nervous babbling crap I do, but actually make sense. 

Oh boy. I had no idea what I was in for.

Several months ago, Hellion and I were emailing an author by the name of Leslie Langtry who innocently admitted that she was going to be at the Spring Fling. Here is where I'm going to admit that I might have made my decision to go a little easier at the time. I got to see people I had been missing for a while and I get to meet an author who's book made me snort aloud with laughter? Sign me up. 

Wrong! *mental head smack* Someone needs to take my decision making abilities away from me!

I make it back downstairs from the baby shower and I see Hellion in her flaming red hair wearing all black (She knows how to represent for the babes, because I was wearing all black too) and I see another redhead. Instantly, all conversation flows to a halt.

Leslie Langtry in the house!

We hug and make plans for drinks and our workshops are starting, so Hellion and I steer away from each other. Crossover fiction for me. I'm feeling rather sick at this point. Being on my own. Pretending to be a writer. Nothing more dangerous than that combination (Other than me, a bottle of Tequila and a dry bar).


 


I learned a lot in that first workshop. Went to a Q&A with three of the headlining authors, Christie Ridgway, Debbie Macomber and Eloisa James. I’ve always loved to listen to other people talk about their lives. Even writing. This was a good thing for me. I loosened up a bit. Headed upstairs to chill and then headed back down for another course on how to write romance (which I needed in a bad way- and learned a lot about pitching – the six minute synopsis of your book that will sell you to an agent- and how to submit.) In the process, unfortunately, the subject of what is wrong in romance. What is written versus what is factual. And one of the things that came up was “Does anyone really end up with the guy who just pissed them off to no end at first sight?”  And I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. I put my head down, but I didn’t do it quick enough. Singled out. And it was all I could do to choke out. “NO! I don’t want to share!”


 


Thank god I wasn’t pitching this past weekend.


 


After that, it was the chocolate reception. And then it was night time. The first day was done and over. I survived.


 


I think the best thing for me this past weekend was the speeches. All the keynote speeches I sat in on inspired me to be a better writer. That’s it. I said it. A writer. When you read a book, these authors suck you into their world. They know how to draw you in and for them to share that with you is one of the most awe-inspiring moments I’ve ever had as I’ve walked this path. They inspire me to go out there and write something more visual, filled with imagery that as you read it, you feel like you’re there. You can smell the clover in June and the fallen leaves in October. That’s who I want to be when I grow up.


 


An author.


 


Alright, I have a lot more where that came from, but I’ll save it for next week. I just wanted to give you a little of the conference. It was one of the best things I’ve ever done in my life. If you ever have a chance to go to the Chicago Spring Fling, do it. You won’t be disappointed.


 


When do you feel most inspired? Ever attended a speech or a workshop or a conference? What kind of impact did it have on you? And as readers, what draws you into a book?

39 comments:

Quantum said...

My first reaction to this was to groan "I'll never have time to read all this...and I have a meeting to attend shortly"

Then I read the first few lines and wondered "Can this be the same Sin, the sultry siren temptress who teased and enticed me to distraction in Candy Land?"

Then I was captivated and couldn't stop reading. I wanted to squeeze her hand reassuringly, support her and try to inspire confidence.

Darn it...I'm late for my talk now. If my Feynman Diagrams start to look Sinful I shall blame you!

Wonderful writing Sin...will try to drop in again tonight.

Irisheyes said...

Awesome, Aswesome blog, Sin! You know what I took away from that whole thing... you did it!!! The writing is cool and the fact you learned stuff and met authors is cool, but what's really, totally all out cool is that you did something you didn't think you could and you made it! I'm proud of you. And, selfishly, I'm glad you were brave cause otherwise I wouldn't have met you!:)

I also sympathize! I almost turned my car around twice and I was just coming to the EJ get together. That was nothing compared to attending actual workshops. I was the one too chicken to do that! LOL

The unknown is pretty scary and anytime we conquer it we grow and are better for it! Give yourself a pat on the back.

Marnee Jo said...

Great blog, sweetie! :)

I'm so proud of you! I haven't been to a conference yet. I'm so planning on going sometime soon though. Hopefully within this next year.

As far as inspiration, this isn't writing inspiration, but I saw this school program when I was teaching and it had a huge impact on me and on the kids I taught.

http://www.rachelschallenge.com/

Warning! It can induce tears. I cried when I saw the program anyway. So did a lot of the kids I taught.

The basic idea is that small acts of kindness can spur others to kindness. Like Pay it Forward, kinda.

Sin said...

Taken care of Irish!

I'll be back in a minute to reply to comments. :)

terrio said...

You are SO going to hate me if we ever attend one of these together. LOL! I talk to everyone and I'm sure I'll drag you around and suck you into every conversation. Yep, you're going to hate me.

But I too am uber-proud of you. I know how tough this was for you but you did it. And the great thing is that even though I wasn't there, just hearing you guys talk about it is inspiring me. These conferences are so powerful that way. I've only attended one somewhat big one and I'm sure Nationals is going to be totally overwhelming. I bet I do a bit of hiding myself.

Now stop saying things like you're not a writer. Because I say the same thing about me all the time and I'm trying to quit. LOL! We need to quit together. You are strong and brave and a damn good writer!

Now, go frame those big girl panties. LOL!

Sin said...

Q- you are such a darling. I'm sorry I made you late for work. I can think of a few different ways that would've been much more enjoyable reasons for tardiness. *g*

I know. This got super long. I wanted to write about the whole conference, but now I realize I'm going to have to write about it for the next few Wednesdays.

Irish! You are such a cutie pie! I can just see you in the car, leaning over the steering wheel with all these thoughts running through your head. I had no idea who was coming to the party. I figured it would be people I didn't know from the boards. But I'd already talked Kim's ear off downstairs and figured if nothing else, I could hide in the room until everyone forgot I was there. At least until Hellion got there to save me. But then Vagi and you were there (hiding in the corner, exactly where I wanted to be, lol) and then I had the best time at our late luncheon!

There is a difference with talking with someone online and talking to them in person. I can always feel myself getting red when someone talks to me I don't know. It's like this red rash that creeps up from my collarbone, up my neck to my cheeks. But I was determined to have fun and just enjoy you guys while I could. I couldn't have asked for a better Saturday. One of my favorite parts was the luncheon where we all got to just sit down and talk.

Sin said...

Marn, that is such an incredible site!

And you'll be so great at a conference. I just have this picture of you in my mind of you floating about the room, the very picture of grace, talking up tables of people. And everyone will love you because it's impossible to do otherwise.

Ter- I need someone to drag me around. Otherwise, I will hide in a corner. You're not going to be overwhelmed at Nationals. You live for that sort of thing. And you're so social, it will be your great chance to shine. The only thing that Hellion and I wished we'd done differently was bring the cards with the site on them. We both had some made for the conference. And both of us forgot them. LOL

terrio said...

You forgot them?! I guess that is a pirate thing to do. hehehe

I have to print more since the ones I have from last year have the old blog address on them. But I'll be sure to print some up soon.

And when I say drag I obviously mean that figuratively since you're almost a foot taller than I am and in much better shape. Perhaps the word "nudge" would be more appropriate. Just don't smack me everytime I introduce you to someone that expects you to talk. *g*

And I'm totally jealous that you guys got to meet Irish. I want to meet Irish! *crosses arms in a pout*

Sin said...

I got to meet Vagi too. She's such a sweetie pie. And hilarious. Both Irish and Vagi are hilarious. I don't know if I've laughed that much in my life. We spent the whole luncheon laughing instead of eating our food. Good thing they had to go out back to kill the cows and chickens. Otherwise, someone would've been wearing my food.

And of course I'd forget them. I can't remember anything to save my soul from hell. I wrote it down on cocktail napkins like a naughty secretary to her boss. It was great. *g*

And you could drag me. You'd have to hit me over the head with something first, but it can be done.

terrio said...

I'll just make Hellion drag and I'll direct. I'm much better in a supervisory position. *wg*

Irisheyes said...

You guys are so sweet! We'll have to have a mutual adoration society meeting!!! We can all sit around and exclaim how nice we all are! LOL Preferably at a spa facility somewhere warm!

And Ter, the thing that struck me (after being struck by how nice everyone was, of course) was how tall everyone was!!!! I'm a real shorty. I took a picture with Sin and Hellion and made them sit so I wouldn't look like a hobbit from LOTR! And thankfully, when I took a picture with Eloisa she took her shoes off and I put mine on so it wasn't toooooo bad!

I can't wait to meet you too, Terri! And I would totally love being at something like this with you. I search out people like you who I can hide behind! You would probably be awesome at deflecting attention and drawing away attention!

terrio said...

Don't be silly Irish. I'd shove you in front of people saying, "This is Irish and she's so funny. Tell them a story, Irish."

LOL! A spa trip sounds perfect! Count me in. And I'm only 5'4" so we'll be short together.

Irisheyes said...

That could be painful for all involved. When I tell a story I have 'em laughing but not with me at me! I forget my way half way through, switch the order of events and then start laughing at the punchline myself and can't get it out!

You should have seen me try to tell the "lizard giving birth" joke to my family. It was not a pretty site. My one brother finally threw up his hands and spat forget it and walked out of the room, while my other brother sarcastically gave words of "encouragement"... "C'mon you can do it, I know this is gonna be funny, is this suppose to make sense?" We finally all agreed it would be much better for me to e-mail it out the next day!

And I'm 5' even (if I poof my hair). So, you've got me beat by 4 inches!

I also have the red face thingy going that Sin has. You don't even have to talk to me most of the time. A look will do it. It must be our lovely porcelain complexions, Sin.

terrio said...

You can be the Paula Abdul of the group. LOL! And that sounds so funny. That's how Isabelle tells jokes. In a round about way and then by the time she gets the punchline out, you have no idea what she's talking about. Though that could be because she's 8.

And I only get that red faced thing when men approach me. Lucky for me, that NEVER happens.

Sin - how many workshops were you able to fit in during the conference?

Sin said...

The only one I skipped was the one during the party on Saturday. I went to three on Friday afternoon. And four on Saturday, not including the lunch speech or supper speech. My favorites were:

Patricia Rosemoor on Crossover Fiction
Allie Pleiter on Dialogue
Erin Niumata on How to Write a Romance

All three of these workshops really helped me out. I loved the Q&A with Eloisa, Christie and Debbie. I think that sort of thing helps me put everything in perspective.

Sin said...

Irish, you might have darker skin than me! LOL. It's the Irish in me as well. I keep my hair dyed to my birth color, even though now it's carrot red. And I've tried to stay out of the sun so I can keep the freckles at bay. You are just so darling with your red hair, pretty eyes and gorgeous skin tone. I can't touch my skin without it turning red. LOL

Kathy said...

Dang-it! I miss one day and Johnny is posted. ARRRRR! Ye scallywags!

Cool post, Sin! I've been in your shoes. My first conference was Moonlight & Magnolia. Awesome! I've been to Nationals twice now and plan on going to SF. I found it hard to pass out my business cards the very first time. This year I've got a website so it makes it easier but I'll still have to force myself to be more outgoing. Where's the self-esteem, the love, the belief in what I do? I'm a writer. Plain and simple. Though I'm unpublished, my goal is to BE a published writer. The journey flavors the goal, don't you think? And the people we meet along the way, make our achievements worthwhile.

We need to meet up Terrio!! (I'm 5'6".)

terrio said...

Kathy - I might go to M&M this fall. Are you going again? Though we will have to hook up before that in San Fran.

I'm not good at passing out my business cards. Which means I have plenty of them left. We'll work together to be more card passing out proactive.

Hellion said...

Hounds of Hell is right. God, I was driving like a bat out of town. In case my coworkers flagged me down. "I'm sorry to interrupt, I know you're leaving, but I have just one question...."

Irish, are you kidding? You nearly didn't come? *HUGS* But I'm so glad you did. I had the best time! Of course, I was a moron when you introduced yourself with your real name: "Who?" Then you sighed and went: "Irish." OH! Saturday night was so great! And then we told Kim we were right behind her, and talked for another 40 minutes.

I had the BEST time. I wouldn't trade a moment of it. Not even when I stupidly left my PURSE in my pitch interview. I mean, seriously!

Don't let Sin fool you. She told had her Ninja face on. She didn't act like any of this was new.

And Leslie was the BOMB! I first saw Kim, and I started walking over to say hi, but half over, I was like, OMG, that's LESLIE LANGTRY! and turned instead to her and grinned, "I'm Hellion." And then we were joined at the hip (with Sin at the other hip) all conference. She even quoted Talladega Nights with us. Seriously. Best time. She was so funny and so cool.

Lisa said...

I'm so proud of you Sin. I knew you would open up and have a wonderufl time. This was a experience of a liftetime, and a wealth of knowledge and connections happened for you.

I attended a workshop this weekend as well. I came away from the experience very motivated, and with a confidence I lacked before.

I like an emotional punch at the beginning of a book, it pulls me in hook, line, and sinker.

Great blog, thanks for sharing:)

terrio said...

Lisa - I sure hope we'll hear more about your weekend at the end of the week. *g* No pressure....

Irisheyes said...

I do have to say it's a very odd feeling going around introducing herself with a different name than your given name. I introduced myself a couple of times with my real name and it wasn't until I said Irish that I got the "Oh, I know you!" I do have to say your reaction was the best, Hellion!

I'm sure with the advent of the internet that's gotta be happening all over the place these days.

Irisheyes said...

Yeah, I'm always getting cold feet when I have to do something I've never done before. I almost didn't go to the SEP booksigning last year, but the DH put me in the car and deposited me in the bookstore! Sometimes, I need a little nudge.

terrio said...

Most all my autographed books are made out to Terrio. That seems to have become my name. It's not as cool as Irish or Sin or Hellion, but it's too late to change it now. LOL!

And I'd have known you by your real name. *g*

Marnee Jo said...

Sin - LOL! Have I mentioned I have one near-sighted and one far-sighted eye? I'm a huge clutz! LOL!

How was the Crossover Fiction Workshop? That sounds cool!

That's funny about the internet name versus the real name. I avoided all that confusion. I have a hard enough time remembering my real name and answering to that. :)

Sin said...

Kathy I can't imagine going to Nationals. I came home with so much stuff I thought I was gonna have to buy another suitcase! And I didn't even pack that much stuff to begin with.

I have no problem passing out stuff. I have troubles remembering it in the first place. LOL And no pictures from me today. I figured my blog was a long jumbled mess and no pictures were needed. But I suppose I could've posted a pic of dear Johnny.

For you and Hellion of course. He's not my type.

Sin said...

Hellion, I needed my ninja garb. I didn't pack it because I figured that would rouse the ninja alarm at the hotel and then that's all I need- more of my identity leaked.

Nothing like an author quoting TN at the dinner table. It was awesome.

And you were great. Awesome. I knew you would be.

Sin said...

Lis, I knew you'd do great too at your conference. I hope you had a great time. (Well I know you did) but I think the rest of the crew and shipmates, and visiting wenches and pirates need to hear about it too.

Sin said...

Marn, remind me to email you later for a talk about the crossover fiction. I think some of the things said would help you immensely. Not saying that you need help but even some of these things I'd looked over.

Sin said...

I know, Irish, when they introduced you I had NO idea who you were. Real names don't connect for me. I don't use my real one often and most of my books this weekend got made out to Sin. LOL

Leslie wrote me a funny little message in my book. Mattycakes looked at it and one eyebrowed me and went back to watching TV. LMAO

Janga said...

I loved the blog, Sin. The conference sounds great, and I look forward to hearing even more about it. And I can relate to your longing to hide in corners. But you didn't. Hurrah! And the next conference will be less intimidating.

The online name thing is interesting. I became Janga just on the remote possibility that comments under my real name could show up if a student googled me. But Janga has become this whole new dimension of who I am. I think that, on Anne Gracie's advice, I am going to use it as part of my pseudonym

Sin said...

I love your online name Janga. I saw a girl at the conference who writes under the name Sindee. I think Lisa once suggested that to me. LOL

One day, someday, we'll all have to get together at Nationals and then we can only address each other as our online names.

Marnee Jo said...

Sin - Of course I always need help! I doubt I'd ever get to the point where I feel like the greatest author in the world, even post publication, when that day comes. :) So, yay email.

Kathy said...

I tried to post this earlier but the Internet wouldn't let me.

Where did you guys come up with these awesome names? I'm such a plain Jane. Although I do have a cute little moniker of a bone with my name in it on the playground. LOL. Sin, Hellion, Terrio, Marn, Janga, and Irish! I've got one thing to say to the crew... Cool!

Going out of our comfort zones takes a lot of energy. I usually have to take time to veg during a conference, not because I go to as many classes as I can and tire myself out, but because my brain gets overstimulated. That's what I get for being an interovert, I guess. (Though I have extrovert tendencies at times.)

Ter- Sadly, I'm not going to M&M this year. I really loved the M&M conference I went to a few years ago. (We'll have to practice our intro's with a firm handshake, pass of the cards and a hearty Arrrr! for laughs at Nationals.)

Sin- I'm worried about trying to get those books home. I'll probably mail them.

Janga- You should do use it. Everyone will remember your name.

Kathy said...

Ah, Janga. That should've been, you should use it. Do! :-)

Sin said...

Kathy, mine comes from a fan fiction pen name. I was determined to find something that wouldn't give me away. LOL

Hellion really is a hellion. And good at it too.

Someone was telling me at the conference this past weekend that there are so many books that people literally ship home boxes upon boxes of books. I'd be in reader heaven. I've already got plans to make my office into a library complete with each wall being a bookcase. That's my dream room.

Sin said...

Marn, I've been involved with a book all night. I'm reading The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter and it's absolutely beautifully written. I will email you in a minute when I dig my notes out and go over them. One handed of course so I can keep reading. LOL

Kathy said...

One handed? You are a true pirate vixen, Sin!

Sin said...

Oy! Kathy I love the way your mind works. You are truly wicked!