Monday, April 28, 2008

Getting Famous Before You’re Dead

Hi, this blog is being sent to you via hologram because I am currently in Chicago and won’t even be here to comment. What’s doubly cool about this blog is that it’s working in tandem with Lindsey’s blog over at the Romance Vagabonds.


 


My part of the project is: Getting Famous Before You’re Dead. Or otherwise called, “The Publishers Haven't Realized What a Supercool Writer Pirate I Am So How Can I Still See My Name In The Big Lights”?


 


Back when I started writing, like fifteen years ago or so, I thought it’d be a lot easier to get published. I mean, I knew I was talented and stuff; and people liked my writing—so really, I was going to go to college, write my Great American Novel while getting all that experience, then voila! I’d be published by the time I was 22. 25 at the latest.


 


Clearly this didn’t happen, and it’s still not, so I’ve had to find new and creative ways to put my name in the big lights. I’ve managed this with some small success. How? I wrote articles for my local chapter. I recommend submitting to your local RWA chapters, and here’s why: there’s not really a rejection process. Your local RWA chapter is probably pretty desperate for quality (or even semi-quality) articles about writing, the writer’s life, getting published, getting rejected…whatever.


 


How do I know? Because my local RWA chapter was. I remember attending the Chapter meetings and the newsletter editor would beg for articles, and I even sent one or two articles. They were rejected. (Yeah, I know I said there was no rejection process, but I lied.) After the second rejection, I gave up article writing. Clearly it was not my forte.


 


Then some stuff happened.


 


I stopped going to the local chapter meetings (they were 2 hours away). I wrote more. I had a new way-awesome critique group and a new blog group. I was busy; and I was having a blast with the blogs. Instant gratification. I had fans who’d purposely read my blogs. I felt I had to come up with things actually worth reading on a regular basis; things I knew something about. It was work, but fun work. Then last May, I wrote the Holy Grail of all Blogs: Everything I Ever Learned About Writing I Learned From Captain Jack Sparrow.


 


This is what would be termed: a turning point.


 


I blogged it; and I got lots of positive feedback on it. I did a little dance. I thought nothing more of it—because hey, I was already successful in my own mind here, though admittedly I begged all my friends and acquaintances to read it because I was so proud of it. However, when my Critique Partner read it, she said, “This sounds like a writing article! Have you submitted this to the newsletter?” To which I reminded Dee, I wasn’t part of the chapter anymore. Dee said, “I’ll talk to her.” And she emailed the newsletter editor who, sure enough, for digging for articles. Dee helped me polish the blog into more of an article-like format. I sent it off, and rest they say, is history.


 


So…here’s what I learned about writing a successful article:


 


1.)  Be original in your unoriginality. Technically, you’re not going to be sharing anything the rest of us don’t already know in some form or another, so you need to present it in an original way. Your voice and your take on original material are what’s going to make it stand out.


2.)  Be pithy. Articles should only be 1-2 pages long, so don’t pick a topic so broad that you can’t be brief and clever about it.


3.)  Be memorable. Chapter newsletters have about 4-6 articles per newsletter; and the editors churn one out each month. It’s rather hard to be memorable, technically, but try. I can assure you that a Plain Jane article about grammar is going to have less effect on your audience if it sounds like something you turned in for a school assignment than if you wrote a grammar article that was channeling Yoda and The Force.


4.)  Be brief. Again, try to keep these things to a 1000-words or under. We’re busy; we have short attention spans unless you’re inserting pictures of Johnny Depp in between the paragraphs.


5.)  Have something to say. This is where I went wrong the first few times. I remember asking the editor, “What kind of articles are you looking for?” and she said, “I don’t know. Conflict would be good” and I went off to write something about conflict. Only I don’t know how to write something informative about conflict—let alone be pithy about it. Worse, I just read something about conflict and tried to regurgitate it—and it read like it’d been regurgitated all right. It was not pretty. This is called trying to write to market only, and this is why people fail when they do it. When you write to market, pick a topic you know—like I did with Jack Sparrow. If there is a topic I know forwards and backwards, Jack Sparrow is it.


 


Clearly the first four suggestions are variants of the same; and the fifth suggestion is the most important one of all. Not everyone can do pithy; and I’ve read plenty of articles where the writer had something to say—and said it memorably and brilliantly—but wasn’t necessarily amusing. And keep in mind, with all rules about anything, it’s more like guidelines anyway.


 


So what about you? The best articles you’ve read about writing—what was so great about them? What is there a dearth of articles in? And what articles are you sick of reading about? And be sure to go to the Romance Vagabonds and read Lindsey’s article about writing articles and resources for creating them.


 

40 comments:

Quantum said...

I don't think I've ever seen the skipper in such a somber mood before.Why the post-mortem approach, picking over entrails?

On the writing rules, they seem to me to be aimed at ordinary mortals and therefore don't apply here. In most walks of life you can train someone to be tolerably good. The genius or natural talent makes his own rules and plucks gems from the air like most of us eat toast. Cap'n your originality, humour and talent for finding the unusual perspective simply radiates from the pages of your blogs.....and you don't even seem to be really trying! Somehow you need to capture and bottle that, then release it more slowly into your more serious writing.

As one who studies tea leaves, I see a bright future after the early mist rises, but avoid tall dark agents wearing hats *w*

Tiffany said...

I loved that article you wrote. My local chapter picked it up and ran it in their romANTICS... I was so proud of you.

I'm not sure I could write an article. I've thought about it. But lets count on fingers topics tiff could write about---sex---uh, sex--- uh, more sex.... For some reason I'm not sure I can do pithy--could do shocking but that is about it.

I'm still thinking about it though--since I have one writing accomplishment in the blurb about my writing experience on my query letter.

gillian said...

Is there a link to this holy grail of blogs? cause I missed it, I think...I was probably driving some kid to a doctors appointment or play practice or the dentist or something...rotten rug rats.

Marnee Jo said...

Quantum said: "Cap’n your originality, humour and talent for finding the unusual perspective simply radiates from the pages of your blogs…..and you don’t even seem to be really trying!"

A truer statement I haven't ever read!

I haven't ever tried to write an article. In fact, I have no real desire. I wrote for a newspaper as an intern during college and I hated it. Maybe in some future life (or life phase) perhaps.

PS. I checked out RV today and didn't see Lindsey's post. Though I did see a bunch of books coming out the next few months. I forgot that Elizabeth Hoyt's next one is out here soon! Yay! Oh, and I obviously knew about JQ's new book. I've been waiting patiently.

Sin said...

Obviously I don't write articles because I don't do my own writing unless forced by samarai sword point. I used to write for the school newspaper. I actually enjoyed it. But nothing of your caliber Hellion. You make it seem so effortless.

Sin said...

Gillian- Hm. You know, I know that the Capt'n Jack Sparrow one has to be on our old blog http://yohowriterslifeforme.blogspot.com/ .

This one is good too. http://yohowriterslifeforme.blogspot.com/2008/01/captain-jack-sparrows-guidelines-to.html

FOUND IT! http://yohowriterslifeforme.blogspot.com/2007/10/everything-we-know-about-writin-we.html

terrio said...

I love it when Q had a few drinks before commenting. LOL! But he's right, you either have it or you don't and I don't. No sense crying over it.

I think about writing articles all the time because my chapter always has to beg for them. And I've submitted Fran's two or three times so she's been published over here as well.

But I can't think of anything I'd feel qualified to write about. Which is ironic since I'm giving a workshop in July. Ha! What the heck were they thinking?

I can be pithy but only in person. I can tell a story in person that will make you LOL but it doesn't happen when I try to force it. I'm sort of spontaneously pithy, if that makes any sense.

Basically, we're just riding the Captain's pithy coattails. LOL! We just keep her so laced with rum, she hasn't noticed!

Johnny sure does look good today....

Irisheyes said...

I, like Marnee, would have no desire. Too much like homework. Plus the fact that I'm still at the learning stage not the sharing what I know with others stage. I don't know enough yet!

Chicago... hmmmm... isn't someone else - tall, dark, handsome and very famous in Chicago as well? Could our captain be stalk...er sightseeing hoping for a glimse of THE captain!?

Lisa said...

I've never written an article for anything. I've written a speech if that counts... I've entertained thoughts of writing for a newspaper for experience, but our local paper is a tight group.

I like writing articles that give examples that are useful. I think the more explanation the better. In writing an article, I think it's important to be aware of the needs of your target audience.

Mostly I hang on deck of the ship and bask in the glory of the other wenches while counting my lucky stars:)

Marnee Jo said...

Lis - you're silly. I just read your prologue last night and was doing some basking of my own. :)

Hellion said...

*Kisses Q* I'm sorry to embarrass you so, but you deserve it. Thank you for the compliment.

Lisa said...

I love you Marnee. *sniff* I think we just had a moment.

Hellion said...

*laughing at everyone* Guys, I *understand* not having a desire to write articles. I do. I didn't have a desire; and after those rejections for ARTICLES I lost my desire to even pretend interest.

Honestly those "articles" came to me like lightning bolts, little Muses--which sounds very mystical or magical--but there you go. I've written every week for over a year, and out of all the blogs I've done, only four of them have been things you can turn into an article...and all of them have been lightning bolts.

Just wait. You too might have a lightning bolt. Don't write it off completely.

Hellion said...

You guys, I wish you all had been there for the speeches. Lisa would have been sobbing happily at the AWW factor of these speeches. They were wonderful. They are a great way to network and feel like a writer, stalk authors...and learn so much. And you know what? I don't care that only a tiny handful of people who go get published; I wouldn't exchange the feeling and connection I had there.

terrio said...

But by saying those articles came out of a bolt of lightening is saying they had nothing to do with you. Which is clearly crazy. They had everything to do with you, and your talent. That streak of brilliant.

But I do get what you're saying. We could keep this idea in mind, maybe scribble something down and see what comes of it. I would like to be able to say I have article printed in different newsletters. It's sort of like a baby step toward bigger things.

I'll have to ruminate on this. LOL!

And is Johnny really in Chicago?! At the same time as Hellion?! Fate!!

Hellion said...

I know it seems crazy; but I really do think my stories or really good articles...the ones that are really good, are just being channeled through me.

Great, now I sound like a crazed prophet.

Maybe I shouldn't confess to such things.

terrio said...

Ah, we already knew you were crazy. Why else would we be here?

J.K. Coi said...

Ah, I have to agree. Hellion's blogs are very often quite brilliant and pithy and funny and heartwarming and lots of other good things, and I especially love the Jack Sparrow one.

Marnee Jo said...

Lis - LOL! *handing you a tissue* Girl any time you need some love, you lemme know.

Irisheyes said...

Hellion - you HAVE to be a little crazy, or as I like to say quirky (it's sounds much gentler)... all the great artists are! And with that crossed off the grocery list you can move on to the other less important ingredients needed for fame and fortune (like an actual body of work and piddly stuff like that. LOL)! I think I'd tend to agree with Terri, though, don't give away the credit for your brilliance... it's you, baby!

And yes, Johnny's here!!! I think there was a radio station where you could call in Johnny sitings and such. I was sort of outta the loop but a lady the DH works with is a huge fan and gives him the latest scoop periodically.

He's filming "Public Enemy" with Michael Mann. He plays John Dillinger. Christian Bale is in it also as the FBI agent tracking him.

Janga said...

Hellion, I think the idea that the writer is a conduit through which ideas are expressed is an old one. You are not crazy. I dare say that most of us have moments when we fee; like a channel.

I subscribe to the theory of one of the French symbolistes (Mallarme maybe)who believed that he was given one line but had to work for the rest. I often have that burst of creativity that presents me with a single image or phrase, but the rest unfortunately is more perspiration than inspiration.

I am thinking about the article idea, although I could never equal the Captain in cleverness and humor. And that is not false modesty. It is knowing my own strengths--and weaknesses.

Janga said...

That is supposed to be "when we feel like a channel." Typing is definitely one of my weaknesses. :)

terrio said...

Johnny and Christian are there?! I must check flights to Chicago....

Janga - we knew what you meant. *g*

Irisheyes said...

Bring your trenchcoat and dark sunglasses, Ter! (or I should say parka, it's freakin' cold here!!!!)

terrio said...

*cancels all flight plans to Chicago*

Di R said...

I cannot even fathom writing for a chapter newsletter right now. I am still trying to send in my membership application. Arrgh. Okay, I'll do it this week. (yep, the same thing I said last week.)

Gillian- I don't know how to do a link, but if you put this in the address thingy, it will take you to the original post.
www.romancevagabonds.com/?p=1058

Di

Lindsey said...

Fabulous blog, Hellion! Sorry mine got up late (and is not anywhere near as good).

It was so great the way your Captain Jack article took off - I think we all felt like such beginners then, and it was quite an inspiration. You do have a real gift for giving a fun, new twist to things.

Hope these combined blogs inspire some people to submit. I know the chapter newsletters will thank us. :)

Julie said...

I don’t know about being the “best”. But you Pirates have certainly written some of the most Impassioned blogs about writing that I’ve ever read.
Not that I know anything about writing… anything. I do however know a few things about passion. Speaking of which… Is it just me? Or when you read “Be original in your unoriginality, pity, memorable, brief…’ Do you think “Hey, not only are Hellion’s rules great for writing articles. They also make great rules for a really good... Quicky!”
Julie
Who still has still a lot to learn about rule #5.

Julie said...

And
Very Well put, Q!
No, there is no need to be somber Captain. Indeed I do believe that your mood will lighten once you get away from the cloudy skies of Northern Illinois.

Quantum said...

*g*

OK Terri, I've had a large scotch so I hope your ready for this. *w*

So cap'n, the visions come like bolts of lightening which you attract much as a lightening conductor attracts an electrical discharge.

Scientists who think about these things tend to see creativity as coming from the subconscious mind and possibly the soul. Now the latter is the least well understood...not at all actually.... but may be an all pervading 'electromagnetic fluid' which is concentrated in individuals. The creative person will have more open channels thus allowing a better flow. Your intuition would sort of support this.

Like Janga, I have heard the opinion that genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. I'm not sure that I believe it though. Any subject has its giants and in physics, my experience suggests that the elite few don't perspire very much *g*

Captain, a kiss from you is like the embrace of an angel.....I'm not at all embarrassed for I know that you have to encourage the crew.

*grabs the scotch bottle and plants a whopper on the skipper's cheek.*

Good Night Everybody!

terrio said...

She gets all the boys. *huffs*

Sin said...

Wow. What is going around, 'round here? Should I put the gas mask on to keep myself safe? Am I going to be shot tomorrow when I post a blog the complete polar opposite of seriousness?

terrio said...

Man, when the Princess of Darkness is the light one, the ship is really topsy-turvy.

Marnee Jo said...

LOL! Julie, thank you for your thoughts about our passion. We try, for sure.

Princess of Darkness. LOL!

Sin said...

hahahaha, laugh it up. I tried to lighten the mood a little in my blog. I'm not funny. I like to entertain the thought in my mind that I am though. LOL

And I'm the head Queen of Darkness. Ozzy Osbourne bows down to my Queen of Darkness status.

Princess.. Ha!

Hellion said...

By the way, I only understood about half of what Q said but it sounded sexy as hell...and I think it was a compliment!

Night all!

Hellion said...

It's really funny when Sin wears those little braid buns over her ears.

I didn't realize I was that serious. I'm sorry, guys. *LOL* *grins wickedly* Did you see Q kissed me back? Hey, and I've got the kiss of an angel. This is so my week, I'm telling you.

Thanks, everyone! I can't wait to be back and blogging regular again. Eek, and I have GOT to get my 30 pages sent off to the agents! So much to get done!

Sin said...

It always amazes me at how sexy Q can sound when he's talking in scientific jumble.

But Q is always sexy.

And so are you peaches. I hope your trip from Chi-town was good and be safe on your way home!

Hellion said...

It has almost been ridiculous how great the travel has been on this trip. But I'll breathe a sigh of relief when I get home tomorrow. :) *LOL*

Jackie and I got front row parking at the movie theater. BTW, Baby Mama? FUNNY.

Santa said...

Brilliant article. Hellion, you have a real, natural talent for all four points. I just joined my local chapter and have been tempted to write an article.

My first blog was a wonderful adventure. I never thought I had it in me to do one. I do know I don't have the time to dedicate to creating and maintaining my own blogfest - certainly not for any extended period of time.

Off to read Lindsey's article which I suspect will be equally as brilliant.

Off to bed after that...I mean it!