Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Wading Through the Sea of Thanksgiving Blessings

So sometimes one must ask themselves when blogging after Hellion… How does one compete with a mind like hers?

I mean sure, *making the universal hand signal for crazy* she’s a little cuckoo but when you’re on a ship like this one, it’s granted that we’re all going to be a crazy from the lack of men. *sad head shake, muttering* She remembers the rum, but not the men.

This is another story for another day.

So today, instead of trying to compete with Capt’n Hellion’s brilliance, I’ve decided that I will do the complete opposite of her brilliance and wallow in childlike happiness of the things I’m grateful this holiday season.

*grin*


Sin’s Top Ten Reasons She Has a Smile on Her Face
(Or, Reasons for the Season.)
Whichever suits your delicate sensibilities better… landlubbers… *shaking head* Y’all need a dose of a solid, hearty sword… *hears Capt’n clear her throat* or something of the sort.

10. I’m officially on holiday from the taskmaster, who makes me slave away in front to the computer all day long and not to write… but to code and email disgruntled doctors who didn’t get their way over the weekend, and do paperwork.

9. All my grocery shopping is done. So there is no reason for me to get in a fist fight over that last 15lb turkey that Villers just wants to put baby oil on.

8. Tis the season for Christmas songs. And I love Christmas songs. They put me in a mood; like The-Mary-Poppins-of-Christmas- singing mood. And for those of you who don’t know me, the MP of Christmas is quite a stretch from my normal non-holiday self.

7. This year, I don’t have to clean like a mad woman on a mission. I don’t have to stay up until 3am trying to make beer rolls to impress anyone (which is a far cry from what actually happened. Anyone familiar with how a breakdown works at 3am? Gone was a fifth of vodka. And I felt instantly better. And the rolls looked better too!) And I don’t have to slave away cleaning up every slob that dragged his ass over to my house to eat all my food.

6. I finally have an excuse to shop like fiend for the next four weeks. “It’s for Christmas!” is my new slogan.

5. The first snow is upon us. And unless fate is a cruel bitch, there won’t be 16 inches of snow on the ground for the first snow. It will be a pretty dusting that sticks to all the trees and reminds you of all the good holiday memories that you have. Not those memories that get repeated over and over again until you realize that your drunk uncle is stuck on repeat and needs to be kicked in the shin.

4. Hot, fictional men. Anywhere I can get a hold of some eye candy and drool over them for minutes *ahem* hours at a time, I’ll gladly sacrifice my time to do so. I’m grateful for Ranger (one of my lead fantasy men) and all the great little ideas he whispers into my ear. And I’m grateful for the batcave homepage *high five Lis* because without Lis dedicated work- which is truly a hardship- fifty of the best babes out there would be without new eye candy on the daily. Lissa is an eye candy pimp. Just ask her about it. It’s her cross to bear.

3. Holiday time off. ‘Nuff said. Christmas parties. Girls’ Night Out. Margaritas at the El Maguey’s where the young Ranger look alike works. Movie dates with girlfriends. Spa parties for the very wickedly stressed out. Good food. Great fun. Things to help you remember that the holidays are not all stress and no fun.(I never said it would be ten things. Huhzah! The Pirate has struck!)

2. Writing. In the past year, I’ve done a lot of things that I’d set out to do, but one thing got shoved to the side to make way for everything else on my to-do list. I’ve struggled. I’ve wavered on what I want to write. I’ve changed my mind. I’ve written and deleted. I’ve been frustrated. Aggravated. Pissed off. And ready to give up. But writing is not something that you can just walk away from. And there is a huge reason why.

1. Which brings me to my number one. Girlfriends. I’m thankful for all the great women I’ve met this year, bonded with, laughed with, cried with, drank with, stayed up all night with (or felt like all night when you’d been up for days at a time!), brainstormed with, critiqued with, NaNo’ed with, challenge wrote with, co-conspired with and generally all of those women that blessed me with friendship. I’m grateful for all the great ladies in my life that, no matter what, won’t let you jump ship. Won’t let you take a flying leap from the plank. And won’t let you have all the rum even when you really think you need it.


In your haste to get last minute things ready for tomorrow, spare me a couple of sentences of what you’re most grateful for this holiday season. It could be the turkey on the table or the fine looking eye candy you have as your laptop background. I’m not here to judge. (But if you do have hottie eye candy on the background, I might have to confiscate it.)

20 comments:

MsHellion said...

Awww, I'm grateful for all my wenches too! I love you guys! The conspiring and secret gifts and movies and driving to hotels to gather other wenches...and *sighs* MY wenches are the best wenches in the world, bar none. You're the best...and I love (and miss) my Critique Group. I'm grateful I finished writing a book this year--and if I can, ANYBODY can. I'm grateful for my laptop--and that I only had to take it in for repairs, what, three times? this year.

I'm grateful Harry Potter lived; I'm grateful Jack Sparrow is back from the dead; and I'm very, very grateful...to that little Y107 guy at Bar Norfolk for... *pauses* Never mind.

MsHellion said...

I see Sin is trying to do what Lis did yesterday with the Dog Email--and make us sob like hysterical little pirates who ran out of rum. *LOL* Nice try...but it is good to remember all we're grateful for.

terrio said...

I'm grateful for lots but most of all for all my internet pals and especially those who poppped out of the internet and came to see me. You make me smile every single day and that is a terrific gift.

I'm grateful for the most beautiful, smart, funny and loving daughter in the world and all the blessings God has sent my way in the last two years.

My life is the best it's ever been and I hope I manage never to forget the miracles I've received!

Sin said...

LOL. I warned you yesterday wench that it started out good, and with good intent and slowly decended down that hill of the truly weepy lot. Lis was killing me yesterday with the dog email that still gets me all teary when I think about it. Bless the worker that did that for that little girl.

And I'm grateful for Circuit City forgetting that I didn't purchase the PP and offering it to me this year to renew. LOL. Now I can have a new keyboard for my laptop!

And I'm grateful for the Hellion in my life who writes odes to chicken tenders and eats bucket loads of cheese dip with me.

MsHellion said...

The sacrifices and risks I take for my heart condition to eat all that cheese dip with you. Not just anyone can do it.

And the hardship of eyeing the Ranger-look-alike as well. I swear, being with you is work, work, work all the time.

MsHellion said...

I see Terr is also going for the Dead Dog Oscar (DDO) as well. Sorry, Terr, Lisa got it yesterday and Sin gets it today. You can try again tomorrow...or Monday when you blog. :)

terrio said...

What is this about a dog? I'm lost.

Are you saying my comment is too mushy for the great and stoic Captain? LOL! I promise to reduce the mush in the future.

MsHellion said...

Lisa sent Sin an email about a Dead Dog, and Sin, in a fit of mushiness, sent it to me--and I in a fit of sappiness sobbed at my computer and nearly electrocuted myself reading the damned thing!

Now I've decided anytime we lapse into said attempts of mushiness, we're vying for DDO or the Dead Dog Oscar.

terrio said...

Man, that's morbid even for you. I'm thinking I DO NOT want to read this story.

For once I'm glad I was spared...LOL!

irisheyes said...

I'm thankful for so very much this year. I'm thankful that I'm where I am in my life and enjoying it. I'm thankful for my family, my beautiful children and my two lovable mutts! I'm thankful for my awesome DH, who is right now as I type putting the fourth color (only third application) of paint on my family room wall, because his neurotic wife can't make up her mind on a color!

But most of all I am thankful for the woman at the gas station last night that wasn't going to sell me a lotto ticket because she didn't think I was 18!!!!! WOO HOO!!!

terrio said...

First off - Irish's DH gets DH of the year awards in my book. Someone get that man some rum!

You sent me the damn dog story. *sniff* I specifically said I didn't want to read it. *blows nose* I should never have opened that message...

*blubber*

MsHellion said...

Yeah, well, you didn't go to Snopes.com to see if the story were even true! (See: Hellion's a cynic.) And it IS true. And I read the story again. And I cried again! Argh! So you can just blubber. You're not getting any sympathy here.

Irish--the FOURTH color? I agree with Terr, someone needs to send that man some rum. Or an application for sainthood. After the second color I would have been saying you can do this yourself. *LOL*

MsHellion said...

P.S. Irish, kick ass on being mistaken for being younger than 18! Awesome! :) (Not that I would go back to being 18 again for a million dollars...but to look like I did at 18, sure, you bet!)

Lissa said...

I'm thankful I have met so many great writers this year, and for all the great knowledge they have shared with me.

I am grateful for all my best buds that listen to me bitch and moan without question.

I'm thankful for my family, my job, and God.

I am thankful for the ability to write. It has opened so many doors for me. Writing takes me to a new place with a new adventure without even leaving my desk chair.

I'm thankful for Sin too. She kicks my ass in gear when I need it, and she dislikes the same qualities in people I do, so when I bitch about them she understands:) Most of all we believe in each other and that means a hell of a lot.

I'm thankfukl that I'm a wench aboard a ship full of talented wenches, and wish each of you and all our other friends that drop by a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Oh and sorry for the dog email Hellion, but I'm sure someday I'll get paid back with one even more touching:)

Great blog Sin:) *smooches*

Marnee Jo said...

Awh, I'm so late! I am prepping for the hoard of slobs to come eat my food tomorrow!! :) LOL!!

Sin, this is great!!

I'm thankful for so many things, family, friends, health, and enough money to pay the bills.

I'm also thankful I didn't get teh Dead Dog email as I needn't worry about electrocution via keyboard. :) LOL!!

Irish, I swear, my DH would have strung me up had I done that. Yours definitely gets the sainthood.

Maggie Robinson said...

I'm very late. I'm grateful I'm still alive after the eating and cooking I did yesterday---and that all the food stayed on the serving table after I accidentally leaned on it and it all tipped and hot dishes started sliding off but were saved before they hit the floor. That's a long sentence, and I call myself a writer. I am most grateful for my family, though, who never cease to make me laugh. Kind of like you pirates. ;)

terrio said...

I just left a really cute comment and Blogger ate it. Dang it.

Thanks for stopping by Maggie and glad to hear no one had to eat off the floor. *g*

harlot said...

No thanksgiving on this side of the pond. And until a couple years back I thought Thanksgiving was about gathering around a table and stuffing one's face for hours on. (though I probably didn't get that one totally wrong ;-P )Nothing wrong with that. Eating and drinking? Count me in! I like turkey okay but the stuffing..yummy...all the more so when there's a glass of bordeaux red to go with it ;-P
But I like the idea of pausing once in a while to think about what we should be grateful for. I'm grateful for my laptop and the internet, which allowed me to meet some amazing ladies this past year. But most of all I'm grateful for the friendship that developped with said amazing ladies, for the laughter and banter and support, even if there an ocean between us.And I'm grateful for the friends I have here in Fr, for them being fantastic people.I'm grateful for having a set functioning hands and eyes to read my beloved books.
And yup there's actually a pic of a hottie on my backgroud...No need to confiscate it Sin, I've already shared with you. BTW I noticed Henry wasn't mentioned in your blog...does it mean I'll get to play with him without sharing? nah didn't think so anyway.
Hellion: be proud of yourself: you made me bawl my eyes out. saw somethhing about the dog mail, then the web address....being nosy, i went to check....Not a good idea. Went hugging my mutt afterwards. Stupid I know...
Anyway I know I'm late but i hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. And that black Friday didn't drive you too crazy...or should I say any crazier?
stef

harlot said...

Sorry I stuttered...not enough rum in my blood I guess. Deleted the second post.

Sin said...

Harlot! If you were here I'd introduce you to the best holiday that we have!! I love Thanksgiving, though I can't drink wine, everyone else does at dinner. And then we drink coffee with Amaretto in it and homemade whipped cream. And eat and eat, and eat while we play games and laugh.

PS. You're dreaming about Henry. But I'm willing to share since I'm in the Christmas spirit. LOL