Saturday, March 6, 2010

And the Oscar goes to...

[caption id="attachment_1113" align="alignleft" width="150" caption="Morgan Freeman-Invictus"][/caption]

This time every year Hollywood is aflutter with anticipation. Who will receive the golden statue for the leading man in the best actor category? This year the Academy of Performing Arts has once again nominated the best of the best. What I noticed about this years nominees, is the distinguished attraction in a category of talented performers. Just like the heroes in some of my favorite novels, it proves that looks do not always dictate the power of the leading man. George Clooney, Tobey McGuire, and Colin Firth are nothing to sneeze at, but I find the talent of Morgan Freeman and Jeff Bridges to be equally arresting.

JR Ward created a tortured and scarred hero in Zaddist. In Lover Eternal, he displayed as many scars on the outside as the suffering he sheltered in his soul. His scarred appearance endeared his character to thousands of readers. An attractive appearance is just icing on the cake for the most cherished leading men. Heroes are remembered for their actions, and the ability to make you believe them in the role they portray.

[caption id="attachment_1114" align="alignright" width="150" caption="Tobey McQuire- Brothers"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1115" align="alignleft" width="150" caption="George Clooney-Up in the Air"][/caption]



[caption id="attachment_1111" align="aligncenter" width="150" caption="Colin Firth-A Single Man"][/caption]

Unfortunately, I haven’t viewed any of the movies nominated. However, I can remember each of these men in unforgettable roles. Most memorable for me would have to be Morgan Freeman in the Shawshank Redemption. At the end, when he strolls down the beach toward Tim Robbins, it makes me want to stand and cheer every time.

In movies as well as novels, the memory etched, is the sucess gained.




[caption id="attachment_1110" align="aligncenter" width="150" caption="Jeff Bridges-Crazy Heart"][/caption]

Who are your favorite-scarred heroes? Whom do you predict to win the Oscar tonight?

10 comments:

2nd Chance said...

Always been a big fan of Robert Davi...

Same with Seal...

Bosun said...

What is Chance sniffing?

I think it's a safe guess Bridges wins the Oscar tonight. He's won pretty much every other award for this role, including the Globe. I'm dying to see the movie but can't take kiddo and when I don't have her, it's not here. Dang it.

Lisa said...

Once again, Chance obviously has marinated in too much Rum...

I would love to see all of these movies. I'm like you Bo'sun, if the kiddo can't see it, I usually don't either. I did see Alice in Wonderland yesterday. I loved it!

Marnee Jo said...

I think I've read that Jeff Bridges is pretty much a shoe-in. But I love Tobey McGuire. I think he's a brilliant actor, though admittedly younger than the rest of these fellows. Did anyone see him in Sin City? The movie was pretty weird and his character was particularly creepy, but after seeing him in so many other movies where he was pretty sweet and lovable, it really impressed me to see him stretch himself.

Glad you liked Alice, Lis! I want to see it. So many great actors in that.

Lisa said...

Marn,

I agree, Tobey McGuire is a brilliant actor. It seems he grows better with every role. I really want to see "Brothers." I'll probably see it when it comes out on PPV. I didn't see Sin City, I'll have to do so.

Alice was wonderful. Johnny Depp is beyond brilliant.I saw it in 3-D, I recommend it:)

2nd Chance said...

Listen, you ignorant pissants! She asked about scarred heroes, too! Robert Davi is a great actor who happens to have a heavily scarred face and I like him! And Seal is a beautiful man with a scarred face. PHBTTTT!

I have no clue about the Oscars as I've seen none of the movies up for anything other than Avatar and though I thought it was was...other than special effects I don't see it should be up there at all!

Now, I'm off to see Alice!

Lisa said...

Sorry Chamce, I'm not familiar with Robert Davi, but I do love Seal.

Enjoy Alice!

Lisa said...

And that was supposed to be Chance...

2nd Chance said...

Darn line for Alice was too long, will have to wait awhile before we try that. For a movie just a bit over 90 minutes, not going to spend 45 minutes in line. Not when the time I have with the husband is so limted right now!

12 hour shifts several days a week, 1 hour commute each way. Add in sleep and I get maybe 2 hours each evening, which I share with eating, showering, etc... Sigh.

Rare day off, we're not spending it in line at a movie!

Robert Davi played some great villains, one in a Bond movie for which he's most well known... If you saw him, you might recognize him.

Hellion said...

Man, I think that's the testiest I've ever seen Chance.

Yeah, if I had rare day off with my honey, I wouldn't spend in line. Besides he's distracting, even when he's not meaning to be. We went on a date to see Caberet once--and I still couldn't tell you what went on in that musical.

I hope Jeff Bridges gets it.