Monday, April 20, 2009

Hellie's Favorite Craft Book (Not Involving Food): Getting in Touch with Her "Non-Existent" Emotions

Emotional Structure: Creating Story Beneath the Plot (A Guide for Screenwriters), Peter Dunne


 


 


My first writing conference was a daylong workshop of Ms. Dixon’s Goal, Motivation, and Conflict, which I thoroughly enjoyed and which was thoroughly brilliant. If you ever get a chance to go, do so. You will not regret it. I remember how easy she made conflict—and the subsequent book writing—look. A + B = C. Logical, practical, and so straightforward, a child could have done it. I must have talked about that conference for a year after I went. I know I flipped through her book repeatedly as I tried to apply the A + B = C techniques to my own stories. But in the end, it was a lot like knitting. Anyone can cast on some stitches and do the careful rows, but when you’re a neophyte, your stitches always look like some shaky, lumpy mass and you flip through the pictures of the Handbook, marveling at how you knit one and purl two, but your scarf doesn’t look a thing like any of the examples in the book. Finally you end up burning the yarn because you’ve unraveled it so many times and recast, you can’t even recognize it came from a sheep anymore.


 


This is my fault though, and not at all Ms. Dixon’s. As I said, when I went to the workshop, it all made perfect sense. As the saying goes around the farm, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink. I was—and still do—trying to fit my characters to molds that don’t really belong to them. Square pegs and round holes.


 


But what I identified most with Ms Dixon’s GMC is that the internal conflict was just as important—if not more important—than the external conflict. In fact, the external conflict derived from the internal conflict. She was more concerned about story than plot. It was that more than anything I took away from her workshop. If I figured out who my characters were and what their backstory was, the rest of the story would come about naturally, organically even. When talking about characters and plots, which came first—which should come first—the answer was definitely characters. People are more memorable than the events that surround them. (Not that you couldn’t start with plot, but having your characters first usually worked out better. Sort of like finding the corner and edge pieces of a puzzle. You can assemble a puzzle without doing that first, but it’s usually easier if you do.)


 


I myself have always been more concerned about story than plot. I loved history classes in college, much more than my literature classes, and I loved history because of the story. It was never the events, really, themselves that intrigued me. It was the people and why they were doing the things they were doing. Thousands and thousands of years we’ve been around; and nothing ever changes. We’re always doing something for love or power or both. Literature, like history, is similar in this regard. The themes of all literature ever written can be boiled down two themes: love and conflict. And isn’t that the best thing about romance novels? They have both. In fact, the most beloved stories of all time have both these themes.


 


Gwenivere and Lancelot…and well, King Arthur. (History loves a good love triangle.) Antony and Cleopatra. Helen and Paris. Romeo and Juliet. Tristam and Isolde. And in a bid to find a fictional couple who doesn’t die at the end, Mr. Darcy and Eliza Bennett.


 


Not only do I think these two themes make up all of literature, but I also think writers are writers because they’re trying to divine some truth about themselves. For some, it might be varied truths; and for others, we write the same theme over and over again, trying to make it stick in our own lives. Our characters are redeemed as we hope we can be someday; and our characters are loved just as they are, knowing they are enough—and we write it so that one day the Universe will make it true for us. Or for lucky ones, as homage that the Universe has made it true for us.


 


This is good, I think, because even if we’re writing the same truths over and over to expose ourselves, in truth we’re writing the emotional truths of everyone. You can’t have a great story worth reading without raw emotion.


 


When I poured over my bookcase to find THE book I wanted to blog about, I had a hard time narrowing it down. I had like five books. Go to books. Must haves. I wasn’t sure how I was going to pick only one, but after opening Dunne’s book, I knew his would be the book I picked. He’s all about story. And he’s all emotional truth.


 


He’s both your writing coach and your therapist—and let’s be honest, if you’re a writer, you’re probably in need of a good therapist as much as the writing coach. Like Ms. Dixon does in her book, Dunne pulls examples from well-known movies.


 


Dunne’s book is for screenwriters, but I don’t think that makes it less viable for a novelist to use. After all, movies are simply shorter versions of the best novels we’ve ever read: thrilling openings, tearful yet emotionally satisfying endings, middles full of revealing scenes of characters we’re rooting for, and brilliant dialogue. Nothing in movies is wasted. If something is shown in a fragment of celluloid, it reveals character or plot or backstory.


 


What I dig most out of this book is that basically to get over the roadblocks you run into defining your characters and creating sufficient conflict and background is that, well, you have to come to terms with the roadblocks in your own character. Writing books with such compelling and authentic emotion comes from having an understanding of yourself and your emotions. Now those of you who cry at Lifetime movies and weep at Hallmark commercials might not believe you need this book. You’re more than in touch with your emotions. Perhaps, but take a moment to unravel the theme of your novel, really pinpoint into one theme or phrase. It’s your core belief, isn’t it?


 


Of course, it is. And even though your character is as far removed from you as a fictional person can get, at their emotional core, they are you. They want the same thing as you; and until you have come to terms with that in your own life—or at least made aware you and your characters are after the same thing—you’re going to continue to struggle. So crack open Dunne’s book and start to figure out who you are. I find that the successful writers are the ones who know who they are and aren’t trying to be anyone else.


 


What do you think? Do you like your craft books more touchy-feely or more how-to practical? Has anyone used screenwriting books before for their writing? Do you find them useful or not? And has anyone attended a magnificent workshop, knowing that they’d be able to apply everything they learned, and gotten home to realize, “OMG, how do I make this applicable to my own novel?”

46 comments:

2nd Chance said...

Seein's how I'm at a convention, chocked full a' workshops right now... 'ello everyone!

*waving madly

So's...I know I will walk (fly?) from Orlando in total conflict. Ya hears so much conflictin' information and it all becomes overwhelmin'. I think books is an easier way ta absorb what ya hope ta use... But I be takin' lots a' notes and what I find is I go back to 'em as I needs 'em. (If'n I remebers where I wrote that particular bit a' wisdom down...)

A screenwritin' book was recommended yesterday, long with Deb Dixon's book...'bout the three act play and usin' that structure ta keep the middle from saggin'.

The hotties ain't arrived yet, crew...but I gots me eye out for 'em when they do! Camera is ready...

Save some rum fer me, I be back aboard later taday, I hope! Have a kickass mojita on Sunday...
Mmm, mmm!

(Would ya believe I have several askin' me to show them how ta blog? ;) I warned 'em I have no skills wit' this. They jus' wanna know how ta comment!)

Marnee Jo said...

Morning! Thanks again to Debra Dixon for being here yesterday! She rocks!!

I like my craft books to be more how-to practical, honestly. I think I said this last week (and I think Hal went with me on it) that I might have had it easier when I didn't know the rules, but I think I work best when I have a framework.

I'm a cry at lifetime movies sort. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not but there it is. Not always, but most of the times. Though I do have to work to keep emotionally attached to my characters. I think we all do though.

Speaking of, I was watching the Nora Roberts movie, Tribute I think, with Brittany Murphy and I have to say, it didn't make the transition to movie well.

terrio said...

Chance! *waves due south* Keep taking notes and recruiting new stowaways!

Marn - I KNOW! I'm reading Tribute right now so thought I'd take a glimpse at the movie to see how they did. I already didn't like the actors chosen for the parts and by the end of the first scene I was yelling at the television. WHERE'S SPOCK?! It was HORRIBLE!

Now, back to the topic at hand. I'm realizing I'm totally screwed as I have to come up with a blog on this tomorrow and though I have close to 10 craft books next to my bed, I've yet to read them. Can I just blog about hating this senior seminar course and pulling my hair out trying to figure it out? No? Shit.

I think I will like the touchy-feely books better. The practical ones that tend to repeat the stuff I've heard a million times annoy me. Doesn't mean I've mastered the skills, just don't like repetition so much.

So how does Mr. Dunne suggest we get in touch with our emotions? Any specific tricks or exercises?

Sin said...

I like my men touchy-feely and my books to be straight to the point.

Sin said...

Okay, I totally didn't answer the question. Mostly because I forgot what it was.

Sin said...

*fingers in ears* lalalalalalalalalalala

I have a couple of craft books. They are on the methods of how to kill someone and how to depicit a crime scene. They are pretty cool. It's step by step, shows you angles and entry wounds. In fact, I can't believe they had these books at the bookstore. Not that I bought them. Because that's just wrong.

I do believe Hellie shoved one in my hand and said, "This will be good for you. Suck it up."

I also have a "Guide to the first five pages" book that I picked up in the clearance bin. I really just need someone to tell me how to write the first chapter and the rest is cake.

Hellion said...

2nd Chance, while showing them how to blog (don't worry, just be a pirate and fake like you know what you're doing, you totally do), use ours as an example, so they are so captivated by our wit and charm, they can't help but read us all the time.

Be sure to send the hotties here as well. We can always use more hotties.

terrio said...

My Hottie apps are getting low. Give them my card, would you?

Sin - Considering the kind of info that's available online, I'm not surprised they sell those books at all. BTW, have you watched Castle? That's so up your alley.

Hellion said...

Marn, Debra Dixon TOTALLY rocks--and I don't know what Terri promised her, but it was totally worth it. I think it should be a requirement to go to her GMC seminar. It really is awesome. (And I want to go to her Big Black Moment workshop/seminar as well. But I love BBM's.)

Ignorance is Bliss, yes. I agree. And I have a number of craft books that are more of the "practical" level. Victoria Schmidt's books are practical and I recommend hers; and I definitely recommend Elizabeth Lyon's books. If I could only bring three books to a deserted island, I'd bring Dunne's, Lyon's Writing Fiction (blue book), and Schmidt's Story Structure. Then I'd probably try to find a way to sneak aboard the Heroes & Heroines book (Tami Cowden) and Dixon's GMC book. But I'm a pirate and would always try to get away with carrying more aboard.

Oh, lord, not that Britney Murphy movie again. Terri must have ranted about that movie for fifteen minutes during our phone conversation a couple weeks ago. Being I'm not a Nora fan, I wasn't emotionally concerned--but then Terri said, "Well, it'd be like having Paris Hilton play Hermione..." and I totally got it and started going off as well.

Hellion said...

Terri, need I remind you that you're the one that suggested the THEME for this week?

You're a pirate. Just make something up.

Hellion said...

P.S. Castle is WAY too beta for Sin. She won't be interested in him unless he molests her against a wall or something...and he's far too goofy acting to do that. He's sexy, but not in the Ranger way that Sin likes.

Castle is more your dream guy, Terr.

Sin said...

Is Castle that show about that guy who follows that detective around? Is he writing a book or something? I've not had the chance to watch TV lately. Save Heroes and Biggest Loser.

Now Syler.. there's a boy a girl can root for.

*drool* Ranger...

If he can molest me in a dark alley I don't want anything to do with him. I like cat and mouse... not mouse vs mouse. That's so dull.

Hellion said...

Sin, yes, I'm not surprised that ONE of the TWO books you have about craft is the one I pressed into your hand and insisted it was meant for you. *eye roll*

But you're in the crowd with Marn: Ignorance is Bliss and you're choosing to keep your innocence about it, so I'll let it go.

Sin said...

Obviously you see how much actual research I do. I think I've looked up guns once, mostly because I wanted to make sure I had the right specs for this Berretta.

Sin said...

Hellie, every time I'm with you and we go to the bookstore you get a new craft book. If I wanted any craft books, I'd come over and pilfer through yours. :)

Sin said...

I meant, can't. My mind is in a different place now thanks to you pirates. Now I'm thinking about Ranger and alleys. LOL

Hellion said...

*LOL* Sin, you're such a pirate. *LOL* True, along with my backalley Blockbuster rental shop, I should also have a lending library.

Sin said...

Hey, our movie collection rivals yours. I bet we've got 450+ DVDs. It's to the point that if we lend one out and never get it back, we don't notice. Unless it's TN and we don't lend out the bible of white trash.

Hellion said...

Oh, and clearly the GUN is the most important. *LOL* And you probably would get the most letters about it. "Ms. Published Author, the gun you described in *Death Becomes Her* was clearly a Glock; however you referred to it as a Beretta. Have you even ever seen a gun?"

Hellion said...

TN nevers leaves my shelves.

By the way, have you seen Role Models? Bobby's mother is one of the characters in the film; and I was jumping up and down on my couch, yelling at Holly, "WHERE have I seen that woman? She's in one of my movies!" and I couldn't figure out where I knew her. *LOL*

Quantum said...

As an antidote to all the euphoria about craft books, I can't resist quoting from Stephen King's guide book 'On Writing'

This is a short book because most books about writing are
filled with bullshit. Fiction writers, present company included,
don’t understand very much about what they do—not why it
works when it’s good, not why it doesn’t when it’s bad. I figured
the shorter the book, the less the bullshit.
One notable exception to the bullshit rule is The Elements of
Style, by William Strunk Jr. and E. B. White. There is little or
no detectable bullshit in that book. (Of course it’s short; at
eighty-five pages it’s much shorter than this one.) I’ll tell you
right now that every aspiring writer should read The Elements
of Style. Rule 17 in the chapter titled Principles of Composition
is “Omit needless words.” I will try to do that here.


I haven't read any of his novels but he's supposed to be good and I like his style.
Perhaps its just men who are sceptics and who usually don't write romantic stuff.

Helli, I lost count of all your beautiful words! *grin*
What was the question again? *grin grin*

I'm off to the sea side now, to let my brain cool off before it gets chopped off! :evil:

Hope to 'see' y'all again next week. :D

Hellion said...

Yes, Q, I'm definitely in the camp of why use 1 word when you can use 17. Charles Dickens happens to be in this camp as well.

And yes, I'd agree most of these books are bullshit. And most of your learning comes from "leaping into the thick of it." However, you, Mr. Scientist, do you not benefit occasionally from reading books about your subject of study and applying them--or disproving them accordingly? Writing is my science and I like to read all I can about my subject as well as practice the methods for my proofs.

terrio said...

ONE - When I suggested this theme, I'd taken care of my day by placing Ms. Dixon firmly on Monday. Then I had to get all helpful and volunteer to take Sin's day. I'm too damn nice!

TWO - I meant the show is up her alley, not the guy. I'm well aware Castle is no Alpha. Which is why I think he's perfect. LOL! But the way they solve the crimes and analyze the scenes and the killers would be up her alley. So there.

TN will never enter my house. Just sayin'...

PS: Thanks for attributing that very funny Paris comment to me. I love when you make me sound wittier than I am. :)

Hellion said...

ONE, not my fault you volunteer for everything, COACH.

TWO, Sin is less about solving the crime than being humped in an alley--just saying.

THREE, I may just have to pack TN on the trip east.

FOUR, no problem. I totally would have lost it if you *had* made that comparison. Then you would have had to hear 30 minutes of all the things wrong with the Harry Potter films, which we didn't have time for, considering the dramas we were discussing.

Quantum said...

Sorry Helli

Just ignore me...I'm getting frivolous, preparing to build sand castles and frolick on the beach.

I don't agree with King...not entirely.
AND I love ALL of your words. 8)

terrio said...

Q - We totally understand. *looks over calendar* We'll be frolicking on the beach in TWO WEEKS! WHOOHOO! I didn't realize it was so close. LOL!

If TN happens to end up in the ocean, I cannot be held accountable.

Couldn't Sin just have sex with her own Alpha after the show is over? Sheesh.

Sin said...

My mama is going to read this and laugh her ass off.

Hellion said...

Q, you don't have to apologize. *LOL* I know you're just promoting your favorite theory: no written theory is better than the theory you prove yourself with your own experiements. Experience over theory--a sort of transendentalist, I think you are, if I remember my transendentalism correctly. Emerson or Thoreau was always going on about how we should experience life instead of just going by what everyone else said was true.

And there is nothing frivilous about playing at the beach and building castles. I wish I were there. *LOL*

Sin said...

I love how we're talking about me having sex and humping people in alleys.

Hellion said...

Well, I clearly wouldn't be talking about all my experiences of humping in alley ways. People read this blog, you know. It's always best to use someone else as an example.

Hellion said...

*LOL* Don't you throw my computer in the ocean, Terri. It didn't do anything to you.

Sin said...

Yes, please, by all means use my examples because we all know that Mattycakes doesn't read. *laughing manically*

Sin said...

So I'm not blogging tomorrow. Sweet. *running off before anyone can change their mind*

Janga said...

I think both the touchy-feely books and the practical ones serve a purpose. Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird is my favorite craft book. It is the one I return to again and again. Janet Burroway's Writing Fiction has been on my easy access shelf since grad school days, and I still refer to it too.

I like Stephen King's book, although he is relegated to an ordinary shelf. Strunk and White, on the other hand, along with Joseph Williams' Ten Lessons in Clarity and Grace and Joe Glaser's are on the easy access shelf.

As valuable as all these are, I still think the best writing textbooks, certainly the ones I study most carefully, are the books that make me say, "Oh, I want to write like that."

Hellion said...

Well, of course, Matty doesn't read. We're not talking about boxes, are we?

Hellion said...

Anne Lamott is a perfect blend of touchy-feely and pratical. I'm glad you brought her up, Janga. She's also on my shelf. (And I'm pretty sure I have Janet Burroway's book too and she's in depth like Lyon's books are, but I find Lyon's voice more readable, in my opinion.)

And yes, sometimes I find just reading books I want to write like (Harry Potter, Lisa Kleypas' contemporaries, Sophie Kinsella, Hester Browne, Marsha Moyer) are sometimes the best books to consult for writing advice.

terrio said...

I never did say I agree with Q in a way since I think writing is the only thing that is really going to teach me how to write. But that might stem from my laziness. Reading about all these craft books makes me feel like once I finish school I'm going to have to go back to school for writing. I have so much catching up to do. *sigh*

I need more chocolate.

*waves to Sin's mom* Someone get this woman a Hooha!

Janga said...

That should have been "Joe Glaser's Understanding Style." It's not as well known as the Strunk and White and the Williams, but it is another excellent book on sentence craft.

Marnee Jo said...

I think Q might have referenced the most useful writerly book out there. Strunk and White's Elements of Style is an ABSOLUTE must read for any writer. When I was working as an editing assitant for an internship I did at a publishing house, they handed it to me first thing. The editor I worked for said, and I quote: "Take this home and read it five times."

Since then I've probably read it 25 times or more. It's never bad to brush up on that stuff.

Hellion said...

Terri, you're going to have to go back to school for writing. It's the School of Hellion. Good luck. The teacher's a hardass.

Hellion said...

Janga & Marn (& Q)--yes, that Elements of Style (or any book that references about style) is probably the most useful book you can get for writing.

Talent and a natural ability to tell stories is hard to top, and usually it's best to allow for your story telling style, with just a small book to polish your sentence structure and the like...but I think there is something to be said for books that can teach you more about what makes a story good. The characters, the character arcs, the beats of a story and where they should be placed. I do find that stuff interesting, even if it's not an immediate help to a problem I might be having in my writing, that a good run outside might cure. (After all, anything that resembles exercise, if it's my option to write some paragraphs or run, I'll almost always pick the writing and my block is cured....)

terrio said...

At least I'll be used to online learning by then. (If these last two classes don't kill me.) And I already have the text books. Most of them. I'm picking up the Strunk & White book ASAP.

Dee S. Knight said...

I'm one who cries at the drop of a hat. But I still have to really think about giving my characters emotion. Dang it! It's hard to remember everything.

I sat through the Story Magic session at Nationals and didn't understand any of it until you talked to me last year. :) Of course, the double room was packed and they ran out of handouts, which might have had some effect. And then, last year I had the teacher all to myself...

Great blog! I love the knitting analogy--been there, done that.

Laura T said...

I feel like I've been living under a rock. I love this site! Quantum.. I love Stephen King's book on writing, too.

I also love your guidlines section on the site. It's really motivating and it made me smile. You guys are a great resource!

Hellion said...

Hi Laura, thanks for coming by! And do come by and visit again! The crew writes great blogs...and well, we get off topic a lot so that's fun as well. :)

Hellion said...

Dee! You write great emotion--you make it seem easy. :) I explained a seminar at a conference I didn't even attend? I'm trying to remember what Story Magic was about. *LOL* Probably the Hero's Journey. Lord knows I love to go on and on about the hero's journey. *LOL*