Thursday, November 20, 2008

The movie is finally here! - A Twilight Inspired Blog. (*No spoilers*)

Twilight Image

Scene: The back room of Lady Micah’s Treasure Trove. Lisa and Christie appear to be seated at a table staring intently into the middle of a crystal ball while the scent of cheap incense hangs over them like LA smog.


 



Christie: (In a tone of voice that only dogs and small rodents can decipher) “Is that Stephanie Meyer's face that I see.” (hopping up and down in chair)


 


Lisa: ( fluffing hair from her reflection in the crystal ball) “I think you had too much cheese dip for lunch…(gasps, as she finally focuses on something other than herself) “IT IS Stephanie Meyer!”


 


Stephanie: Hi ladies! I understand you are fans of my work?


 


Christie: (Nodding like a bobbing dog’s head on the dash of a Ford Pinto.)


 


Lisa: “Ms. Meyer what an honor it is to meet you.”


 


Christie: *Still nodding.*


 


Lisa: *Elbows Christie and whispers* “This is your only chance to make an impression on the woman who created Edward…SNAP out of it!”


 


Christie: (with a farm away dreamy look) “Edward…”


 


Stephanie: (Grins) “ So as fan of the Twilight series at what point of the book did you decide between Team Edward or Team Jacob?”


 


Lisa: (grins) “I’m still undecided. Let’s just say I am in awe of both of them, but Edward definitely dazzles me.”


 


Christie: *pointing to the front of her custom made Team Edward hoodie* I needn't say anything more. Love is forever and deserves sparkling in the sunlight and dazzling on a daily basis.


 


Stephanie’s response… (laughing) I see you're not a Jacob fan. Not even a little?


 


Christie: *shaking head furiously* Not even a sliver of betrayal from me. Loyal Edward lover to the end.


 


Stephanie: “What did you like best about Twilight?”


 


Lisa: “I’m a sucker for a great romance, and the emotional connection between Bella and Edward was written flawlessly. I couldn‘t lay the book down”


 


Christie: Edward's emotional struggle is what really drew me into the book. The tie between Bella and Edward hooked me line and sinker. I was swept into a relationship of remembering what it's like to have that first love and to feel like it's never going to happen to way I want it to, desperately. And since I wanted that emotion like I wanted my next breath, I didn't dare put the book down.


 


Stephanie: "What enthralled you about the book that made you want to continue?”


 


Lisa: “The romance, and the absolute devotion Edward gave Bella.”


 


Christie: Absolutely, Lisa. The devotion and level of love and respect between Edward and Bella kept me going. I loved the characters. I loved each moment Edward and Bella were together.  


 


Stephanie:How do you feel about the book becoming a movie and do you think the actors were cast well for the characters?”


 


Lisa: I am totally stoked about the movie, and other than Jacobs really bad wig in the movie I couldn’t saw anything so far disappoints me about the cast. Rob Pattinson as Edward is perfect.


 


Christie: I'm stoked too. Usually I'm not a fan of books being adapted into movies; but once I saw what was being done and how it all was flowing together, I couldn't be more excited! Kristen Stewart as Bella is perfect. And Rob Pattinson is absolutely perfect as Edward. He's exactly who I saw in my mind as I was reading before I saw him. Perfect casting choices.


 


Stephanie: What scene from the book do you anticipate in the movie?


 


Lisa: I look forward to the action sequence, at the ballet studio and in the meadow between James and Edward. I hope the angst shines through. I also look forward to Edward and Bella’s first kiss.


 


Christie: Can I say I want to see it all? I'm really looking forward to seeing the first time Bella wakes up in her room and realizes Edward is watching over her. When he saves her in Port Angeles and then he takes her to that restaurant. Their first kiss. To see Edward's grin when he tells her he's living dangerously by hanging out with her. The ballet studio where it all ends. I love drama and action and that ending scene is going to kick ass.


 


Stephanie: *her face starts to fade away*  Duty calls, ladies. I’ve got to look my best for the LA premiere of Twilight and the magic doesn’t happen on its own.


 


Lisa and Christie both squeal in delight.


Christie clutches the front of her hoodie and fake swoons.


Lisa rolls her eyes.



Stephanie: Enjoy the movie!



Stephanie fades from view and another very familiar face appears.



“Edward!” Lisa and Christie squeal.



He grins and winks at both Lisa and Christie and dazzles them both. As he starts to fade from view, sunlight sparkles off his skin and they faint with smiles on their faces.


 


Christie- Alright matey’s, I went to the midnight showing of Twilight last night but I’m not going to spoil this for anyone. Feel free to discuss your excitement of seeing this phenomenal book turn movie and what scenes you’re most looking forward to and why. 


 


Lisa: If you’ve declined to read the Twilight saga, was it because it is a YA series? Or because it is considered to be paranormal? And what is your least favorite thing about books to movies?


 


Christie- A big thank you to my guest blogger today (PM Lisa, you’re the bomb babe), she wrote the majority of this up and even though she won’t be available for comments today, I will be.


 

48 comments:

2nd Chance said...

I pray those who loved the books will love the movie. I never caught on to it and have wa-a-a-ay too many books on my must read list to tackle these. But as a midnight viewer of all the Lords of the Rings movies, and the Pirates of the Caribbeans...I get it.

Have a blast!

kelly krysten said...

Oh, I can't wait!
I have to say that in some of the scenes I saw of Robert Pattison playing Edward(from the trailer) he came across as pretty wooden.
How would you rank his performance?
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Robert Pattison. I could probably be persuaded(read: BEG) to carry his illegitimate child.:)
I'm looking forward to seeing him all sparkly in the sun.
I'm anticipating that first kiss!
And I'm looking forward to so much more. I'm actually concerned because the book is so long and the movie is two hours tops. They can't possibly fit in everything I want to see so badly.

Were you disappointed at any of the things that were left out? Or were there plot points completely invented for the movie?

Marnee Jo said...

I admit that I read Twilight because Lisa said it was awesome. Then I read the other two in quick succession because I loved Twilight. Then I waited desperately for two weeks to read Breaking Dawn and was severely underwhelmed.

But the first three were awesome.

I don't care if things are marketed as YA or para or whatever, if someone tells me it's a good book, marketing be damned; I'll read it.

Was it good last night, SIn?

Janga said...

I think some of the best books bring written today are YA, so I have no biases there. But I just don't read vampires. I really tried with Nora Roberts's series and with Teresa Medeiros's duet, both autobuy authors for me, but I couldn't finish the books.

I do understand your obsession with the series though. I was reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by 12:05 on its release date. :)

Sin said...

*rubbing eyes* I couldn't sleep. Let me tell you why.

Do you remember that feeling you had when you read the meadow scene for the first time? Remember how beautiful it was, the imagery SM portrayed, the way they looked at each other? It was just as beautiful (if not more) in the movie. But then anxiety washed over me that overwhelming feeling of losing control and I was immediately reminded of Bella in New Moon when she desperately searched for the meadow needing that solitude, needing that place somewhere where it was only about him and her. The internal feeling of being lost without someone. I felt Bella's desperation in that moment as sure as it was my own- and even though this wasn't New Moon, I know what comes next.

Sin said...

So when you ask if it was good- I will reply yes. Yes it was. Was it worth the wait- yes, yes it was. Was it hilarious in some parts that shouldn't have been- yes. Was I disappointed in any way- yes, they left out a scene I wanted to see.

Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart were the best young actors in a movie I've seen in a long time. RP wasn't wooden at all. His face is so expressive and his eyes and his lips. He completely sold me. I was disappointed that Bella wasn't as clumsy in the movie as she was in the book. But Kristen Stewart is Bella. There are voice overs too, but the movie watches almost like the book reads. It's very intense, slow in some parts, lightening fast in others.

There is one scene where I found myself blinking from hotness. And I'd love to have that shot on my computer as a background. I won't say because it will ruin it. But the ending was very kick ass and very much set up for the sequels.

Lisa said...

I received a phone call at 12:36 this morning from a very excited Sin. In my groggy state I asked..."Was it good?" not realizing the movie hadn't started. I was impressed with the sound of a sold out theatre of very excited Twilight fans:)

I am preparing myself for the 12:40 matinee. I've read a few reviews and most were good. Most of the reviews were from die hard Twilght fans so I'm stoked. I'm going in with an open mind and no expectations. I want to see RP as Edward, and I want to see if Taylor Lautner can pull off Jacob. I've heard he does well. Sin, what is your impression?

I can't wait to see the end of the weekend box office talley.

Sin said...

Lis, I'm so sorry hon. I was so freakin' excited I was bouncing off the walls.

I was really surprised by TL as Jacob. He did really well and he's more prominant in the movie than he was in the books. Very interesting. The whole movie just set up New Moon.

Sin said...

Marn- I was underwhelmed and overwhelmed by Breaking Dawn. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. I sped read through it because I just made myself sick trying to read it.

Sin said...

Janga, I was that way about Breaking Dawn. I was fourth in line to get my Breaking Dawn and I nearly ran out of Barnes and Noble at midnight with my copy closely guarded to my chest.

Sin said...

But I did represent for her last night in a sea of Team Edward shirts, I let my lil sis wear my Team Edward shirt and I wore my Alice Cullen shirt and my Team Edward hoodie.

Sin said...

I'm very upset about the little camera time Alice had. :(

terrio said...

I haven't talked to Susan (my psycho friend who has been hopping off the walls waiting for this...lol) since she caught the midnight showing. I had to make her promise NOT to text me at 2am. LOL! But I believe I'm supposed to be seeing it tonight.

I didn't read these for several reasons, but the main one being no time. I can't even get to the hundreds (thousands? OY!) of Romances on my TBR pile. There was no time to get to these things.

But I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. My plan is to take the kiddo. Sin, do you think there's anything in there I wouldn't want her to see? I'm wondering about how violent it is and how scary the bad guys are.

Hellion said...

I'm glad you loved the movie, even though they didn't have enough Alice. (Better enough Edward than "enough Alice", I'm sure. *LOL*)

I might have to break down and watch it. I read the books and they're not my favorite story. (And I'm a much bigger Jacob fan than Edward...but I do love RP and wouldn't mind seeing him. Ooh, lah, lah.) Maybe I can see it Sunday afternoon for a matinee...

ReneeLynnScott said...

So, I was planning on taking the kids to the 1:15 this afternoon. IF they will finish their school work before then, sometimes homeschooling has its perks. :) But, I wanted to ask, is this movie appropriate for my almost 11 yr old? The other two I'm not concerned with.

Renee

Lisa said...

Sin,

I'm glad you called me. I enjoyed your excitement. I feel the same anticipation at this moment. I'm so glad Taylor was able to pull off the role of Jacob. *squeel*

I'm off to the movies. I'll try to post my review later:)

Sin said...

Hellie, we're going on Sunday at 4:50 at Hollywood. You might want to buy your tickets tonight. Friday and Saturday showings are already sold out. I think Sunday was getting there too.

Sin said...

Okay, as inappropriate for younger children- I thought there were only a few scenes that might be boardering the inappropriate line. The kiss in her bedroom (it's only a kiss, but hell it's hot) and the ballet studio at the end might be a little scary for the younger ones, but I think Isabelle will be fine Ter, and Renee, I think your 11 YO should be okay. You both might want to stick your hand over their eyes at the kiss scene. There's no nudity, no touching, but it's just the intensity of the scene.

Now that I said that, I realize it's probably okay. Kids won't get it.

Hellion said...

I don't know if I want to be in town that long on Sunday. I was going to try a "nooner" showing or something.... Hmmm. I might skip this week and go on Thanksgiving. God knows I'll want out of the house that day too.

ReneeLynnScott said...

Hellion, if I could skip the family festivities with out being tarred and feathered, I'd drive east...come to think of it a six hour drive is much preferable than posing for the in-laws.

Thanks, Sin. My youngest loves scary movies, so if that last scene is scary there's no worries there.

Renee

Sin said...

Renee, then your youngest will love it.

Hellie, I don't blame you. I don't really want to be on that side of town that late either on Sunday but at least I'll get home in time for Sunday Night Football. LOL

Hellion said...

Renee, we're 6 hours from each other? It'd be fun to see the movie with you. Okay, it'd be fun to see it with Sin too...she bounces when she's excited.

Right, Sin, that's exactly why I want to make sure I'm home early on Sunday, to make sure I don't miss any of the Sunday Night Football.

Sin said...

I do bounce when I'm excited. You should've seen me last night. I spoke so fast at one point, Manda said my mouth moved like a blur. LOL. I was so excited I bounced in my seat. I bounced to the bathroom. I bounced in line. I bounced in the car. I even bounced during my nap.

Sin said...

OOh, we could meet halfway!

terrio said...

Thanks for the heads up. I think the kiss should be fine, but I just talked to my friend and she says there are maybe two scenes that are a little too violent. However, we can just cover her eyes for those. :)

But, she isn't quite as happy with the picture as you are, Sin. And she thinks I'll hate it. Though I doubt that as I didn't read the books so I have no expectations or specific scenes I want. I guess we'll find out tonight.

Sin said...

I'm somewhere in the middle of happy. I didn't go into the movie with high expectations. I didn't like the special effects. I didn't really love the flow of the movie. There was a very tight budget for this movie and I think you could tell in some of the scenes. I loved the overall idea of the movie but I didn't go into it thinking that it was going to be as fabulous as the book. I know better than that. The movie is it's own entity, seperate from the book but the same. I can't explain it. I think that if I'd not read the books and went to see the movie, I'd never understand the intense obsession between Edward and Bella because there's not enough time to draw the watcher into the movie as there is to draw the reader into the book.

Sin said...

And that has nothing to do with the actors who portray Bella and Edward, they were fantastic. They did what they could and they were very convincing. But the die-hard squealer fans are probably disappointed. I think it was fabulous what they did, with what they had.

Janga said...

Sin, I am almost never happy with the movie of a book I love. I'm too conscious of what has been changed and what's been omitted. The only way I can tolerate the movie is to take your approach and look at it as a separate entity. Even then sometimes . . .

ReneeLynnScott said...

Y'all are in St. Louis, right?

Renee

Sin said...

Hellion and I are near Columbia, so even closer.

terrio said...

Renee - they are about 2 hours west of St. Louis.

terrio said...

Yes, I think Susan really wanted the movie to be JUST LIKE the book. LOL! That's dangerous expectations right there. She seemed to find trouble with little things like them making a girl who was supposed to be incredibly gorgeous look not so great and something about the shoes Bella wore to the prom. LOL!

And she said that everytime Edward would come on the screen, all the girls in the theater would scream? Seriously? Did they do that at your showing?

Sin said...

Janga, me too. I staunchly refused to watch Narnia simply because the memory of the books are so vivid for me. I read them a million times as a kid. I cried at the thought of having that ruined by a horrible adaptation.

I've seen Narnia (both) and I went into them knowing they weren't going to be the books and I've kept them seperate. I knew if I wanted to keep my vision of Twilight special, I had to do the same thing.

Sin said...

She wore a Chuck Taylor to prom. But she had a boot on the other foot (casted boot) so it made sense to me.

There was absolutely NO screaming in our theater. I was just talking about this to someone else. No cell phones, no flashes, no screaming or talking. It was perfect. And we had perfect seats.

terrio said...

It doesn't surprise me that the nitwits around here would have no manners in the theater. LOL! There's was something about a stiletto?

Sin said...

Yeah, which made no sense if you've ever broken a leg or ankle and wore a cast and boot. You can't wear a freakin' high heel. You just can't. That irked me in the book. I liked the sneaker much better. Yeah, it looked ridiculous, but it made much more sense.

Hellion said...

We're about 2 hours, 2 1/2 hours from KC. How far are you from KC, or are you in KC?

ReneeLynnScott said...

Oh wow, so I was thinking Columbia was half way. Does that mean K.C. is?

Renee

terrio said...

See, Susan didn't mention the cast boot. That does make more sense. Anyway, I'm still debating on seeing it. Kiddo really wants to go, but I'd rather see Bolt. LOL!

2nd Chance said...

Yeah! Bolt! Gonna sneak off to see that sometime today! Love a good animated dog movie...

terrio said...

2nd - You have to check out the scenes on Yahoo if you get a chance. There's one where Bolt and the Hamster break the cat out of the pound that had me rolling!

ReneeLynnScott said...

I'm in Topeka, an hour or so from K.C.

Renee

Hellion said...

So would Independence be our halfway point then, Renee? *grins* We'll have to meet up.

ReneeLynnScott said...

I'm not sure where the half way is, but it'd be cool to meet up sometime.

Just got back from Twilight, the kids loved it so I guess that should say something. It definitely stays with you. Can't wait for the next one.

Renee

Lisa said...

All I can say is I was disappointed in the movie. I know it was a low budget film, but I still felt it was poorly directed.

On a positive note...R Pat was the bomb.

Sin said...

R Pattz is the bomb. The hottie bomb. The bombilicious bomb.

I thought the movie could've done without the special effects. Otherwise, I'm saving most of my critiques until after the second viewing. I was too busy looking for things and not actually watching it. Except for the meadow scene.

terrio said...

I saw it. I'll say meh. But, to be fair, I missed a good part of it. I get motion sick very easy and the opening scene practically did me in. Within the first 10 or so, I had to leave the theater for a while. LOL!

The effects were pretty bad and the actor wasn't that great either. But I see the appeal in Mr. Pattinson. I hope he doesn't get locked in as Edward and having trouble playing other rolls.

BTW - I'd love to see him in a good British period piece. Can you imagine?

Sin said...

He played Reece Witherspoon's grown up son in Vanity Fair. It was cut from the film at the end but it's in the deleted scenes. He's so dashing. He looked really good with a cravet I must say. But I'd love to see him play the lead in a period piece. Women everywhere would be ruining their panties everywhere.