Monday, August 4, 2008

I Wanna Be a Star, I Wanna Have Boobies...

My one touch with modern pop culture is my BodyPump class. Our instructor’s daughter (she’s 14) creates the music compilations, and she’s not exactly a Brad Paisley fan. My current faves on the soundtrack right now is Miley Cyrus’s “See You Again” (since I’m so that person in the song) and Pussycat Dolls’s “When I Grow Up” (which is me when I was, you guessed it, 14.)

I’m assuming not everyone stays holed up in a cabin on a ship (and listens to Brad Paisley and watching POTC for the 400th time), but the lyrics are:
When I grow up
I wanna be famous
I wanna be a star
I wanna be in movies

When I grow up
I wanna see the world
Drive nice cars
I wanna have Groupies

When I grow up
Be on TV
People know me
Be on magazines

When I googled the lyrics, I got two different versions. One was “I wanna have groupies” and the other was “I wanna have boobies.”—at 14, I definitely wanted both.

Now, what’s funny about this song is that it’s got a “hail the conquering hero back to Rome” sort of lyric that follows. (In Rome, when the conquering hero was hailed in the street, he was riding in a chariot with this guy standing next to him…and the guy would say, as the people screamed like groupies, ‘This too shall pass.’ A sort of reality check to make sure you didn’t behave like a smug bastard, I guess.) So the reality check lyric that follows ‘I wanna have boobies’ (don’t we all?) is: be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

You just might get it.

Oscar Wilde, whom I adore because he was so damned witty, says something along this line: In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.

It just strikes me that so much focus of conflict building is about denying your characters what they want. Deny, deny, deny. It’s a sound strategy; and it’s enough to keep you busy. But the fact is: just because you get “exactly what you asked for” doesn’t mean there isn’t conflict to be had. In fact, it almost takes less work for conflict to occur when you get what you want than when you don’t get what you want. If you’re denied, you just work harder to get it. You focus, you buckle down, you wait for the opportune moment—and when the flag lowers…you snag the booty.

Look, all you ever wanted. Now what?

Think Wile E. Coyote who finds he has the roadrunner clutched between his fingers, and then he realizes he's just run off a cliff. Beep, Beep.

Which is about the time you go: “Shit. What do we do now?” Why? Because there are still problems. There are always going to be problems. There is always something new, exciting, annoying and overwhelming to deal with. And usually whatever it is you wanted, comes with Bigger Problems. Don't worry--I'm sure it'll all work out in the end (the best stories always do), but don't think it's clear sailing from here.

After all, it's a lot harder to keep what you wished for once you get it than it generally takes to just get it. And not only is it hard to keep, sometimes it morphs into something else you didn't exactly anticipate. It's hard to deal with the whole picture when you've been focused on, oh, the camera this whole time. It's great character development.

We make our characters suffer so they earn their heart's most desperate desire--and they have to be "worthy" of it, but this is also a chance to reveal that they are worthy of it. Only those who understand the cost of getting exactly what they want will do what is necessary to make sure they don't destroy it...or themselves.

Just for a change of pace, feel free to break that “deny-deny-deny” rule and give your characters exactly what they wished for. Then make them deal with it. I mean, think about it: what would you do if you had everything you ever wished for?

Frankly I don’t know what I’d be doing about a pony now…and I don’t want a Mustang because I live somewhere where it snows. Never mind the insurance premiums! And I bet if I had the boobs I always wanted, it would be a PITA doing that move in BodyPump where you flip the bar and push the weight over your head. The bar kinda catches now and throws off the movement.

Have you ever gotten something you ever wished for and after the initial "Yeah!", went: "F--, what do I do now?" Do you prefer to deny your characters or give them exactly what they wished for? Or somewhere in between? Can anyone think of any book examples (I'm pulling a blank) of where getting what you wished for caused more problems? (The only example I've got is that joke email about Lord of the Rings where they say, "Some people will go to any lengths to get a ring; others, having had one for awhile, will go to any lengths to chuck it into a volcano.")

50 comments:

Quantum said...

Cap'n, I think that Marylin said it first, but perhaps she had other sentiments in mind!


After you get what you want, you don't want it
If I gave you the moon, you'd grow tired of it soon
You're like a baby
You want what you want when you want it
But after you are presented
With what you want, you're discontented
You're always wishing and wanting for something
When you get what you want
You don't want what you get
And though I sit upon your knee
You'll grow tired of me
Cause after you get what you want
You don't want what you wanted at all

Kelly Krysten said...

Debra Mullins usually gives her characters exactly what they want only for them to realize that it's the exact thing they DON'T want. I think one of her heroes wanted to get married so she had him get mobbed by gobs of women, in his small, town after him for marriage.(If that was someone else's book I apologize profusely.)
I'm also reminded of You've Got Mail, though it was a movie. When Tom Hanks(I think his name was Joe Fox??) finally puts Meg Ryan(Kathleen Kelly-it's so much easier to remember the names when mine is involved!*g*) out of business, he realizes it's the exact last thing he wanted because it causes him to lose her-or so he thinks.
In my writing I think I both deny and give my characters what they want equally.
Great blog!

Tiffany said...

I do not give them exactly what they want... it's a great approach though... hmmmm.... not sure it would work for hidden beauty since I'm just plain cruel to my characters.

Marnee Jo said...

I definitely keep my characters away from what they want until the end.

I think that the best kind of emotional tension is when a character wants something that is going to keep them apart. My hero's drive to clear his name is keeping him from being able to be the kind of loving husband my heroine needs.

JK Coi said...

My husband keeps singing this song over and over, in the car, in the bath, everywhere we are...the boobies version of course.

terrio said...

This song is a ring tone on my phone and I'm pretty sure it says boobies. I even listened to it again just now and it sounds like boobies to me. LOL!

Anything that creates conflict without me having to work so hard at it is something I'm willing to try. I typically don't give my characters what they want. My heroine thinks she wants to be left alone which of course means I throw a man in her path every chance I get. Then when she pissed the man off enough that he leaves her alone, she realizes she doesn't want to be left alone at all and she has to grovel to get him back.

My hero doesn't want anything that he can't control which means I send him chaos. Luckily, he finally realizes that to keep the woman he loves, he has to give up control to her. Thank goodness she comes around in the end.

Hellion said...

Ah, Quantum, Marilyn totally lived that song, didn't she? Every red-blooded male thought they wanted Marilyn Monroe, but once they got her--they realized she was not what they had thought. I feel rather bad for her, since I think she only wanted to be loved--and every time she put her trust in a man that this time it would be different, they'd all do the "you're not quite what I wanted after all."

Hellion said...

Kelly, You've Got Mail does grow on me. (I'm not a huge Tom Hanks fan really, but this was a cute movie.) Balance is good! I think you should have some of each. *LOL*

Hellion said...

Tiffany-de-Sade, I was pretty sure this would be your response. *LOL* Plain cruel, huh? *tsk, tsk* Throw your characters a bone. *sly look* Or something.

Hellion said...

Kris: a man singing the boobies version of the song? Now there's a surprise! *LOL*

Hellion said...

Marnee, your story definitely works better if you keep denying your characters. I'm thinking usually around Black Moment time when they do get what they want (or something like it)--and they realize, Well, Hell, what do I do now? Or: I'd rather have what I had...and took for granted...

Hellion said...

I have this song on my shuffle list at work. They say boobies. My instructor says "I wanna have boobies" (this is during our biceps set, so we're doing bicep curls, singing along)...it's boobies...but I swear to you, if you google it, it says, Groupies.

This is a ringtone on your phone? Really? *contemplating ways to get a ringtone that's either Harry Potter or POTC*

terrio said...

I put this ring tone on for when Kiddo calls me because she's always said she wants to be famous when she grows up so she can walk the red carpet. And from the looks of things (and since she's my kid) I'm pretty sure she'll have the boobies.

You realize if you get the ring tone, you'll have to leave your phone on and have it actually ring to hear it. LOL!

Hellion said...

*sticks out tongue* I have my phone on. *pauses* Some of the time. Can I help it I currently live where there is no reception?

Sin said...

I was just thinking about Lord of the Rings this morning.

I don't listen to pop music. I have no idea what song you guys are talking about but it makes me want to plug my ears just thinking it.

I can think of several books where I wished there was more conflict, but I like lots of problems. Most of Diana Palmer's books need conflict other than they just can't sleep together because it ain't proper.

I don't give my characters anything they want. You gotta dangle everything just out of their reach and never give them a taste. Makes them tortured. Makes them real.

terrio said...

Sin, you always have such a pretty outlook on life. And trust me, you'd HATE this song. LOL! To be honest, I've only heard the chorus part that is my ring tone. I don't even know what the rest of the song sounds like.

Sin said...

I'm smiling. Just so you know.

Hellion said...

*LOL* Sin, you're flat out cruel, you are! *makes note to stop writing her books ala Diana Palmer for fear of annoying Sin* Why were you thinking of LOTR? Thinking of chucking your ring into a volcano?

It's the Pussycat Dolls. *LOL* I can't help it. I'm such a Pop Music junkie. I even have Michael Bolton somewhere on one of my playlists. It's really just sad.

Apparently you'd be attending Pam's version of this class if she taught it--which would feature Korn, Rob Zombie, et al...

haleigh said...

I must admit that I do like that song. But I'm a junkie for pop music too *g*

I end up giving my heroine what she wants, towards the end. The entire story, she's fighting to save her job. Everything in her life (in her head) hinges on her being able to salvage her career. So she fights and fights and fights and finally manages to save her job--only to lose the guy. So then, of course, she has to choose..... I can't help it - I love angst!

great blog hellion!

terrio said...

Hal - my heroine has to choose the hero or her job at the end. And I'm an angst whore! We must hang out sometime. LMAO!!!

And I normally love pop music but no stations around here play that song for some reason. Very odd. But I can totally sing along with Fergie. LOL! Oh, and Danity Kane. Is that how you spell that? LOL!

Hellion said...

See! Hal can see how it works. *LOL* Thank you, Hal. :)

Anyone else notice a trend in romance novelists who end up getting divorces because their careers get too big? (Like if they were CEOs and they don't get to spend as much time at home/in their marriage...) How do you achieve balance in being successful but not wrecking your relationships?

I don't know about you guys, but if I was suffering a broken heart, I don't know how likely I could write romances...and then not only would I be without a marriage, but my career would be in the toilet too. *LOL*

haleigh said...

terri - we're kindred angst-loving souls :)

And you know, I listen to pop music too much, but I never pay attention to artists. I could sing you an entire song without having the slightest idea what it was called or who sang it!

Hellion - yep, I know how it works *g*

I haven't noticed that trend, but makes me sad! But I guess it's true of anything you let get too big, right?

terrio said...

I've seen more happily married Romance writers than anything else. I was on the air when I went through my divorce and there were days when it was really hard to sound chipper and happy. Throw in having to sit through all those country heartbreak songs and some days were damn depressing. LOL!

I think it might be easier to write in that period because you spend the whole time thinking of how you wish it would have gone or what you wish would have been said. Then you can write all that down and have something to show for all the heartache.

I'm one of those weird people who must know the artist and title. But I have friends who will say they've never heard of some group or artist and then I sing a chorus and they always recognize it. LOL!

Stephanie J said...

Still in the figuring out what my characters want and don't want phase but I have at least one thing figured out and it falls into the what you want is not what you really want category.

ahahahahaha this will forever be known as the Boobie Groupie Debate ;)

Sin said...

And I would totally attend Pam's headbanger's ball Body Pump.

Sin said...

I could never go all "Lord of the Rings" on this ring. I'd fall over the edge trying to catch it. Besides, no more of the conversations. I can't keep hearing second hand crap from Mattycakes about what was said. He's driving me nuts.

Hellion said...

Pam's more ANGRY. She wants to do kickboxing to Korn. You still game?

terrio said...

I'm pretty sure Sin's comment right there is written in code.

And anyone who is a Deanna Raybourne fan, you need to talk to Steph. She met her for drinks during the conference on the day before Ms. Raybourne won her RITA. Must be nice to have such great connections. LOL!

Hellion said...

Somehow I figured you would be. *LOL*

terrio said...

I'll be ambling along on the treadmill while y'all kickbox and bodypump. And I'll likely be listening to John Meyer or Lifehouse. LOL!

Sin said...

Lord, how do you keep one foot in front of the other with those two on your playlist? I need someone screaming in my ear all angry like. That way I'm worried that they might punch me if I get off the treadmill.

terrio said...

Fear doesn't motivate me. LOL! I like to get lost in the lyrics and I love John Meyer's lyrics. You have to listen to the song Come Back to Bed. AWESOME! And it has a great horns section. LOL!

Marnee Jo said...

*Propping my feet up on the boat rail, shoving another piece of chocolate in my mouth and washing it down with rum*

I don't know what you all are talking about. If I were you, avoid all this needless sweating and just listen to whatever damn music you like.

terrio said...

*takes Marnee's advice and pops another Tim Tam and puts on John Mayer*

You're so wise, Marn.

Hellion said...

Just trying not to drop dead of a heart attack, Marnee. Not all of us can have your picture perfect health.

And you haven't seen funny until you've seen me and my 86 year old father get into a "I can one-up you match"--he was trying to prove how to get off the floor with your legs crossed. Apparently being able to get off the floor, "Japanese" style without touching the floor isn't a big deal. Anybody can do that.

Then he got on the floor and realized it'd been a long time since he'd even sat cross legged, let alone got back out of it!

Sin said...

LOL. I can do that. Though at this point I'm so stiff even leaning over throws my back out.

Honestly, I'm just going to dance around Marn, screaming my lungs out to lyrics I have no clue about until it motivates her.

terrio said...

I could get off the floor if I had knees. Now I can't even get out of my chair. Damn it.

Marnee Jo said...

LOL!! I haven't got perfect health. I should probably work out too. I just crinkle my nose at the mention of it.

terrio said...

To be fair, Marn chases an active one year old all day. She's exercising!

Marnee Jo said...

LOL! He's more two these days than one. Sometimes he'll pitch such fits that he splatters his two-ness all over my house. It's really quite annoying. Good thing they're cute.

Sin said...

That's funny. The same thing can be said of their older counterparts as well. You know, the ones who pretend to be adults.

terrio said...

"...he splatters his two-ness all over my house."

That has to be the quote of the year! LOL!

Hellion said...

"Pretend" would be the operative word of the older counterparts. *LOL*

Julie said...

Have you ever gotten something you ever wished for? Then after the initial “Yeah!”, went: “F–, what do I do now?”
Yep.
My husband calls it Temporary Insanity.
I call it Love.
The WTF do I do now is called
Marriage!

Marnee Jo said...

LOL! Julie! Ain't that just the truth!!?

Dee & Anne said...

What a GREAT post!!

Let's see, I wanted to drive a truck with Jack int he worst way. Of course I had NO idea what that entailed. Lots of problems... Oh, yes.

Hellion said...

Dee&Anne: YEAH! It's so good to see you! Thank you! *LOL* I remember your trucking stories...some of them were way scary.

Hellion said...

Julie: it frightens me how well you read my post. *LOL*

Julie said...

Hellion, it frighens me that you are frighened!

Renee Lynn Scott said...

I'm coming in late and way too tired to read through all the comments, but I got the boobies, and I never wished for them.

I don't like to give my characters everything they wished for. In fact, I tend to give them the total opposite. In my first wip, my hero wants to go home to the Highlands, but I force him to stay in England. In my second wip, my hero wants a good Scottish lass, he ends up with an English woman. In yet another, my heroine won't rest until she kills the villain, but I'm not going to let her pull the trigger.

If I got everything I wished for, I know I'd lack common sense.

Renee