Monday, May 26, 2008

Choose Your Own Adventure

Once upon a time there was a conflicted princess who was in love with a handsome, noble knight; however, she was sworn to marry an unknown prince from a far away land. Because she loved her father, she did not want to do anything that would shame her in his eyes, but neither did she want to give up what might her only chance for true love. So…


 


PICK ONE


 


A.   She marries the unknown prince


B.   She marries the knight


C.   She proposes a contest for all the noble men (including said prince) to joust for her hand


 


So say we pick A. She marries the unknown prince, even though her heart remains with the noble knight. She is terribly unhappy in her new marriage, but she comforts herself that she’s done the right thing. NOW PICK ONE.


 


A.   The prince slowly seduces her, winning her heart, and she is now newly conflicted with being in love with two men. She’s sworn to remain true to her beloved knight, but she can’t help but be seized by raptures in the prince’s bed


B.   The prince takes a mistress, and the princess is even more miserable. The prince also berates her for not being very princess-like. She must do something. She can’t remain here; she must….


C.   Her beloved knight is also now part of her personal bodyguard. She begins an affair with him, even though she knows if she is caught, they will both die


 


Those are interesting turns-of-events; however, I’m curious what would have happened if she had married the knight. So let’s go back a step and pick B.


 


A.   She elopes with the knight, but the prince, furious with her betrayal, follows her and kills the knight in a post-honeymoon fight. He takes her back to his castle but plans to keep her as a whore


B.   She elopes with the knight, but her father cuts her off. The knight becomes a mercenary, and though they struggle to make ends meet, they still love each other (and can’t keep their hands off each other)


C.   After eloping and being cut off from her father, the knight becomes resentful of the constant struggle—and blames her for their lack of financial circumstances. He tells her she should have married the prince, then they’d both be happy


 


Hmm. That one was a bit dark, but the option A would be an interesting plot development, wouldn’t it? Okay, what if we’d picked C.


 


A.   The prince wins, and she marries him, grudging, but admiring of his skill to even beat her beloved knight. He whisks her back to the castle, unaware she’s still carrying a torch for the unseated knight


B.   The knight wins, and she marries him. Her father gives her the dowry she would have gotten for the prince; and they move North to a castle property that belonged to her mother.


C.   Neither of them wins. Gareth, Earl of Swinehearth, won the tournament, and he is now the lucky guy who gets to wed her. Only he was such an appalling bastard when they were children, how will she stand it?


 


Do we see what the problem is yet?


 


Too many choices. Not all of these are “great” choices; some of them are no-brainer “discard”, but there are several that would actually be interesting to pursue, that would have interesting and overarching conflict for at least 400 pages. What’s a writer to do?


 


When I first started eating Chinese food, I only ate Twice-Cooked Pork, Crab Rangoon, and Hot and Sour soup. It was so much easier to order when I didn’t pursue other choices to see if there was anything better or equally enjoyable. Now I look at a Chinese menu, and it takes a half-hour to decide what I want. Oh, look steamed dumplings! But oh, oh, vegetable lo mein—how I do adore those spicy noodles! OMG! They have Ginger Chicken. Well, I have to order that, but how can I get that when I’m craving dumplings? And soup. Don’t forget the soup. I walk out with $20 of food that ends up feeding me for the next three days.


 


You can’t do that in a romance. 400 pages is it. You’re allowed to spend $7.85 and that’s it. Now what do you order? You certainly do not want to be sitting at the table with your selection and go, “Damn, I should have ordered the Ginger Chicken.” You do not want to get to page 300 of your novel and go: “Maybe I should have had her marry the Earl of Swinehearth; he was kinda cute for a bastard.”


 


How do I know which was the right choice? Because if you’ve done your work on your characters, even your less “obvious choice” characters will be right your hero or heroine. Think of Sweet Home Alabama. Two great hero choices—so it basically boiled down to the guy who was her roots and the guy who was her wings. Mr. Roots won out, but only because he had come up enough in the world to be able to understand her need for things outside their small town and a willingness (and ability) to help with her wings. He could give her both. But does that mean Mr. Wings couldn’t have given her roots? Is small-town family life the only married life that is ideal? Can you not be happy married and living in New York City, vacationing at Martha’s Vineyard, and dropping off your kids at private school?


 


My friend Tammy said that movie ended wrong. She wanted Patrick Dempsey and couldn’t imagine any woman in her right mind picking redneck Josh Lucas. My best friend and I sighed and said, “Josh.” And Tammy said, “I rest my case.” And secretly I think she’s right. I think Felony Melonie could have been just as happy with Patrick as she was with Josh.


 


So what’s the right course for your book? What if you have so many options, you feel a bit like Jack looking at his compass, watching the needle spin because you don’t know what you want. You want a happy ending. But happy endings come in many different guises. Which one is the happiest for this character? How do you decide? Put them all in a hat and just start pulling them out?


 


So choose your own blog ending question:


A.   Do you think Felony Melonie picked the right man at the end of Sweet Home Alabama? Why or why not?


B.   Do you have this problem with writing? How do you overcome it? Or if you’re a reader, do you read a new plot point and think, “God, why did she go there? That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard!”?


C.   Which way would you have told the story above?

42 comments:

Maggie Robinson said...

Hellion, as ever your mind is an absolute marvel. I hope you have your posts stashed somewhere---think about submitting this to RWR, because it's very thought-provoking and funny. Of course, you actually PLOT and CHOOSE. I just...float, wondering when I'm going to drown.

As for SHA, anything she could do to avoid the mother in law from hell was a good thing.

Lisa said...

I'm with Maggie avoiding the MIL in SHA was right, but I'm not a Patrick Dempsey lover so it was a no brainer for me. *shock and awe*

I like the Knight in the story, I picked the one where she marries the prince and has an affair with the Knight while he's her bodyguard... love the potential for angst in that plot:)

Marnee Jo said...

I'm with Maggie that Hellion's thought patterns never cease to amaze me. In a good way.

I didn't really like Patrick Dempsey until Enchanted. Now I'm a fan. Though, I would have still chosen Josh Lucas in that movie. He was just so, yum.

And I would have her marry the knight, then they get cut off and he becomes a mercenery. Sounds like good fun.

terrio said...

Choices, choices, choices. I don't like choices. It makes me have to think. Dang it. But I'll try.

SHA - she picked the right one because he's the one that had her heart. She didn't pick Jake because of roots or wings or rich or poor, she picked him because he's the one she loved.

Writing - I'm still new enough that I still take the wrong road quite often. Luckily, so far, every wrong road has taught me something and I've found my way back soon enough to get going again.

Princess options - I have to agree with Lisa. She marries the Prince, takes the Knight as a lover, then the Knight gets called away leaving her alone. Which means when she realizes she's pregnant, she must seduce the Prince so he thinks the baby is his. Then when the baby is 5 and the Princess is a widow, the Knight returns from many years of war a harder man. Imagine his surprise when he meets his love's son and looks into his own eyes.

Angst galore. *g*

J.K. Coi said...

Granted, it worked out and the movie was saved--at least in my eyes.

J.K. Coi said...

You know, last night I watched PS I Love You, and at one point I was thinking the same thing--"what the hell is she doing? She can't do that." I was appalled at the choice she was about to make, and angry at her. (yeah, yeah it's just a movie) But really, how many times has this happened? You're moving along watching something and then all of a sudden it goes in the completely wrong direction, a direction that you know will ruin the experience for you completely?

terrio said...

J.K. - this happens in movies all the time. And I'm left sputtering "But why would she...." or "But he can't...." No wonder I don't watch that many movies anymore. LOL!

Sin said...

I like Patrick Dempsey. But he's not my type. I watched Lover Boy the other day. I'd forgotten how much I liked that movie.

I'm always on the road road. End of story. Here's how my choose your own destiny romance book would've gone:

She holds a contest for her hand in marriage. The Prince and the Knight make it to the end. The Princess, with everlasting faith in the ability of the Knight to win her hand, but knowing her father, tries to drug the Prince to keep him from fighting in the last match. It doesn't work. The Prince defeats the Knight in a match to the death. The Prince was content to leave him on the ground, beaten, the Knight couldn't stand the thought of losing his Princess so he cowardly attacks the Prince from behind and the Prince has no other choice but to run him through.

In a fit of despair, the Princess hatches a plan to escape the castle before the Prince comes to claim her hand in marriage. She sneaks out, runs down to the gate and she is caught! The Prince has foiled her plan and steals her away!

Now they embark on the fortnight trip back to his own kingdom. Where he will seduce her until she is overcome with love for him. But she feels she has betrayed her knight by loving the Prince. So they must both learn to trust each other despite everything that has happened.

Sin said...

PS. I would so pick Josh. He's hot in SHA.

Hellion said...

What? Did nobody pick Swinehearth? *tsk, tsk*

Maggie, *genuflects* Thank you, thank you...and as a Pantser you can claim you're not choosing from a list of possible outcomes, but you are. You are. Whether you choose to accept there were other choices to be had is not true. After all, how often have we heard in movies and books, "WHY did you do that?" and he says, "Because I had to do something" and she said, "Um, NO, ding-dong, you could have done NOTHING." Nothing was also a choice, even if the Pantser Hero didn't realize it. But I'll shut up now...because clearly thinking you were taking the only choice is actually probably how you're writing so much...and you don't want anyone interrupting the mojo!

Lisa: *LOL* Of course! The angst! (Will he look like Ranger and be the DESSERT in her food pyramid? Any hope of him killing off Prince Morelli?)

Marnee Jo: *high fiving her* I'm loving all these Josh Lucas takers! And I'm glad my deranged brain has not frightened you entirely...that's a good thing! :) *LOL* And I love that you picked the mercenary option...I think that was my favorite, after Swinehearth.

Terrio: Love the story options, but totally disagree about SHA. I think she loved them both. In the end she just realized she loved Josh more--but that doesn't mean, I think that Patrick wouldn't have had a little piece of her heart after she married Josh.

Hellion said...

JK: I haven't read either the book or seen the movie. (Doesn't that have Hilary Swank? I'm not a huge Hilary Swank fan, as in NOT AT ALL. Am I the only one who feels that way?) But I'm glad to know they saved it. And I'm glad the author was brave enough to go that way. God knows we all make the wrong choices, on purpose, for fear of moving forward...and it's interesting to see actual characters in movies doing the same thing before they learn and grow. Sometimes I think movies make choices too easy on their characters.

Sin: are you telling courtship tales about Mattycakes again? That sneaking out of the castle bit seems entirely too familiar....

Sin said...

If I were telling stories of Mattycakes it would be that he snuck up through my window and seduced the hell out of me and left me in the morning. Then I'd be so spitting mad that I'd truck across the country to his kingdom with nothing but my fist to greet him as I walk up to the gate of his kingdom.

Hellion said...

Oh, yeah, THAT'S how the story went. I forgot.

By the way everyone--say Indiana Jones 4. It was really good! The part with the fridge is phenom!

J.K. Coi said...

Not really a Swank fan myself, but I can usually look past the actors/actresses to the story if it's a good one. This was good. But I cried A LOT (and I hate that), and I was getting worried there about what would happen at the end...but I don't want to ruin it if someone's still waiting to watch so...let's just say it was a close call in my opinion.

Sin said...

I haven't seen PS I love you. Not likely to either.

I went to see Prince Caspian this weekend. I absolutely loved it. Bawled my eyes out at the end. I loved those books as a kid.

terrio said...

J.K. - that ending was sort of strange. It was one of those "we're going to make you bawl through this entire movie and make this girl a total misfit then have her magically get it all together in the end." Huh?

I'm not a huge Swank fan but I don't seek out her stuff either. And though I love Gerry, I have to say there was no chemistry between those two in this one. Not at all.

Though that butt shot as Jeffrey Dean Morgan came out of the shower made it worth the price of admission.

Hellion said...

Never read the books, Sin, but your saying you cried at the end makes me think of the last time I saw you cry: Becoming Jane. I'm thinking SKIP. (Oh, wait, I was thinking that anyway...am I the only non-Narnia fan?)

terrio said...

I think I read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe as a child but don't remember reading any others. Still haven't seen the first movie though kiddo has and she really wants to see this one. Might fit in time for it this weekend.

We only have a couple weekends left before she leaves. So much to do in such little time.

Sin said...

Ter, I think the kiddo will really love it but it is much more violent than the last one.

Sin said...

I bawled my eyes out in Becoming Jane. I was good until that whole last scene, the whole - this is what you could've had but I sacrificed for you- scene. I still bawl my eyes out every time I see it.

terrio said...

I cried in Becoming Jane too. Is and I both cried. But I got her addicted to another British actor so it all worked out. Have you seen the trailer for Wanted? OMG!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be prepared to cover her eyes if need be. That is if I'm not covering mine.

Sin said...

I'm definitely seeing Wanted.

Kathy said...

Hellion, I would so choose Swinehearth. His passion for the princess is well rooted. Having loved her since they were children and been rejected over and over again, he's vowed to win her one way or another. Having left for crusade as a young man, he has returned a purpose driven man. Disguised by his full armor, he enters the joust flaunting his talents and skill at warfare, eager to prove himself to her. He's learned about her betrothal, knows of her interest in a certain young knight and knows he must selectively reduce his competition no matter the outcome. Match by match, he sees respect and fear budding in her eyes until at last he wins the tournament, defeating said knight and reducing him to ridicule. In a fit of jealousy, the prince spirits her away but courageous Swinehearth gives chase, freeing the princess from an unwanted guilded cage.

Like Josh Lucas, he has brilliant eyes of blue. History of one stolen kiss, angst and jealousy ignite a powerful passion between them. It won't matter if they have a castle or a kingdom to lay their heads. Swinehearth has proven his love. He's returned a better man and won the maiden's heart.

I'm a BIG Gerry fan. I've got P.S. I Love You but haven't had time to watch it yet. Why does he always have to die in his movies? *sigh*

J.K. Coi said...

I loved the Narnia books (yep Hellion, you are the only non-fan) and I can't wait for Prince Caspian but hubby won't see it so I gotta get me a friend. Might be tough.

When I watch movies, I'm very analytical. I don't lose myself in the story, I lose myself in the possibilities of the story. Does that make sense?

With the whole PS I Love You, it's not that the movie was great because you're right. Swank wasn't so hot and there was very little chemistry between the couple...BUT it had so much potential. Through the whole thing I was imagining exactly what this movie COULD have been.

And I'm not sure I agree Terri about the character pulling it all together at the end. I think the timeline was pretty good. Her grieving process was thoroughly mapped over more than a year and she went through a lot of personal revelations and trials before coming to a better knowledge of herself and what she wanted for her future. That part was good I think.

Sorry, don't mean to keep tangenting on your post Hellion. :)

Sin said...

There were a couple of times I jumped and I had a vague idea of the outline of the book. I do love Ben Barnes. He's too beta for me but he's so hot. Like a young young Ranger in my eyes.

terrio said...

Isabelle is totally smitten. Of course, they show the adorable Prince on Disney channel all the time. She has a running list of her favorites and I have a funny feeling after seeing the movie, the young cutie will be added to the ranks of Zac Ephron, The Jonus Bros, and Richard Armitage.

Speaking of RA, we got the first three episodes of Robin Hood on DVD this weekend, and she even swoons when his name comes across the screen in the opening credits. LOL! However, his character is a bit blood thirsty. That's a shame. But the black leather sort of makes up for it.

And I am totally crushing on Jonas Armstrong. A little too skinny but I could fatten him up with a little work. Ok, with a little take out...

Hellion said...

Kathy, *swoons, sighs* I so want to read Swinehearth's story now...and I don't know why Gerry has to die in all his movies. Maybe he likes the prospect of all those weeping women?

Sin: Ben is too beta but he reminds you of a young Ranger? Doesn't that seem like a paradox to you?

Hellion said...

JK: you can tangent about Gerry as much as you like. We all love him here.

terrio said...

J.K. - I mean the shoe thing. Becoming a shoe designer was the odd part to me. Not necessarily how far the character came. That was a tough year whether you liked the story or not.

And you're right, that movie had so much more potential. Would consider reading the book but I'm afraid I'll cry through the whole thing. Not in the mood for that these days.

Hellion said...

*LOL* I love Jonas Armstrong...that grin. *sighs* Even if he is a beta in the worst way.

Sin said...

Yes, well, Ben can be taught to be tougher. I'd make an alpha outta him eventually. But he's got the looks that I liken to the Ranger in my head. The dark eyes. The hair. The skin tone. The way he squares his jaw when he digs his heels in to do something. That's what I was talking about. I can't help that he's beta-ish. What's that inbetween thing y'all were talking about? Gamma? He's got potential.

Lisa said...

Just have to say I loved PS I Love You. I watched it two weeks ago and I'm still having hot flashes over Gerard. I thought him and Swank had great chemistry. (I'm not a Swank fan either) Harry Connick was a downer in this movie for me. He looked bloated, and couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag in this one. I almost screamed when I thought she was going to pick him. I loved the book, and expected to like the movie even though it received bad reviews.

Hellion of course the Knight is Ranger and Morelli is the Prince:) Ranger will always win in my stories.

Sin I love your take on the story, of course I always love your twisted plots...

Sin said...

Of course, in my mind, the Prince is Ranger, the Knight is Diesel. Morelli doesn't exist on my planet.

Hellion said...

If the Prince were Ranger, there would be no conflict whatsoever. My infatuation for the knight would have been over so fast, people would wonder if it existed. I would have raced him to the altar.

Lisa: That's too bad. I love Harry...it's sad to hear he wasn't good in this movie.

Sin said...

Yes, but Diesel is sort of hot with his smartassness. You know I'm a sucker for a smart ass.

Lisa said...

I love Diesel. I could totally handle a Diesel ending...anything but a Morelli ending.

*stomping foot*

Hellion said...

You know if I had used Ranger, Diesel, and Morelli as the Choose Your Own Adventure references, the blog would have been a lot shorter because I would have been like Maggie: There Can Be Only One....

terrio said...

If you had made those guys the characters, they'd all be naked by now. And so would the rest of us. Fantasy-land speaking that is...

Santa said...

Since the last movie I in the theatre (the $2 theatre) was Hairspray and the last rented movie I saw was '27 Dresses' (cute, ended too quickly and a bit goofy) I can't really comment here on PS I Love You. I probably won't see it. That whole dead true love guiding her has never worked for me. Even with Gerry Butler and a gratuitous butt shot.

I say the princess marries the prince and they fall in love with each other. Just as they start to acknowledge their feelings to themselves (not to one another) the noble knight returns except he's not so noble and lays a course down to persue and seduce her while her feelings for the prince are too new and set in quicksilver not gold. She waffles. The knight falls further into the murky muds of the lake and kidnaps her and will ravish her. Her eyes are opened. She sees the error of her ways (she may be TSTL) and her prince rescues her before the knight can make his advances known. They return to the castle where they profess their undying love for one another and live HEA.

As as writer, I wish I had more opportunities to participate in this kind of brilliant exercise (Hellion, Maggie's right). These bare bones are just what the doctor ordered.

Kathy said...

I agree, Santa. I thoroughly enjoyed the chance to chart Swinehearth's voyage. Youza! What a man!

What? Gerry's butt is in P.S. I Love You? Surely the gods have smiled down upon us. First, 300... full back nudity. Now a butt shot? I really must watch P.S.ILY now!!

Come, Gerry. (pardon the pun) Let us away!

Hellion said...

*LOL* I love it when you guys participate. Your all's stories were AWESOME and I'd read them all! Great job, guys!!

Kathy, Gerry will need to be returned. Just FYI. Terri notices when he disappears too long.

terrio said...

It's ok, I have the homing device in place.

Sorry, Kathy, but the butt shot in PS ILY is not Gerry's. It's Jeffrey Dean Morgan. But a fine butt it is. Gerry is in boxers and doing a silly dance, but that didn't quite do it for me.

Now, the window shot in 300. *sigh* I love that scene. They're playing 300 on HBO this month so I keep catching it when I can. You know it's good if I'm willing to overlook all those ugly monsters.