Thursday, April 24, 2008

Give Me Boldness


And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.-Abraham Lincoln


 

On Sunday morning, one of my coworkers passed away from a sudden illness. Grant Johnson was 45 years old, and is survived by his wife Sharla, and his five-year-old son Carson. Grant and Sharla adopted Carson four years ago. I vividly remember the day they brought Carson to meet all of us. I’ve never witnessed any parents more proud of a baby.

Through Grant's death I discovered he has a blog. I quickly found a nearby computer, logged on to his blog, and found a wealth of treasured memories. At his wake, I spoke with his wife, and learned of his aspiration to write a novel. I passed him in the hallway everyday at work, and all we ever shared was a superficial greeting. I missed an opportunity to share our interest in writing. I am aquainted with so many individuals on a superficial level, I found it so distressing that it took Grant's death to truly appreciate him as a person. I've learned a valuable lesson this week- take time to know the person behind the face. 

If you visit Grant’s blog you’ll find he had so much potential as a writer. He leaves behind an epitaph of what an inspirational life he led as a father, Christian, and husband.

I’m dedicating this blog to Grant’s memory. I want to thank him for the wonderful example he leaves for all of us who are parents and writers. The title of his blog is Give Me Boldness, which tells me that he dreamed of so much more.

When you sit down to write today take a moment to appreciate life, and the gift of your talent and creativeness. I’ve learned through Grant’s death that times like these are not the only reason to hug your loved ones, do it everyday, for life is much too short.

 

Grant Johnson 1962-2008



 

15 comments:

Tiffany said...

That's terribly sad.

I think it's hard to not be acquainted with people on a superficial level when you work in a bigger place. I am fairly friendly with everyone at my work, but we are few.

And 45 is too young.

Kelly Krysten said...

That is very sad ,Lisa. My prayers go out to his friends and family.
And that was a beautiful tribute you wrote for him.

Maggie Robinson said...

Your words are a lesson I keep forgetting---to treasure every minute, whether it be sweet or sour. I hope his wife and little boy are comforted by the example of love you've shared with all of us..

Marnee Jo said...

So sad. And such a young child to leave behind.

Life happens so fast, it's so important to live in the present and not to put off things we feel are important.

Great tribute, Lis.

terrio said...

I'll never understand this part of life. The early endings. The loss of good people the likes of which we need more of on this planet.

This is a beautiful tribute, Lisa. Thanks for sharing Grant's story and thanks for being part of this little group. Without you, we just wouldn't be the same.

Grant it, I'd cry a little less, but I'd still miss you. *g*

Sin said...

It's so incredibly sad. His family, especially his son and wife, are in my thoughts and prayers to get through this rough time.

I agree with everyone. Life is short and sometimes we don't realize just how short it is while we're going through the daily grind. We take for granted all the moments because we keep thinking there will be others.

Hellion said...

Ditto what Terri said, Lisa, we would all be less without you and your ability to make us pause and reflect. You've definitely got the AWW factor in spades; never worry. NEVER WORRY.

What a touching tribute to him--and I'm glad to know him through you, though I now wish I knew him more.

This reminds me of the ONLY thing I remember reading in my English classes. It was a sermon--about For Whom The Bell Tolls. No man is an island; when a man is lost, we are all diminished. We are all diminished, definitely, with the loss of Grant.

terrio said...

I went and checked out his blog and cried though that most recent entry. He had such joy and it came right off the screen. I know he'll still be there watching every game, but it's just so unfair.

Irisheyes said...

Lisa - a very moving and heartfelt tribute. Death is always hard but when they're so young the senselessness seems to add more grief, IMO. His family with be in my prayers.

Thanks for sharing his story with us.

Lisa said...

Thank you all for sharing and commenting on my tribute to Grant. His blog is a beautiful testimony to the wonderful person he was.

I wish I had more time to comment but I'm swamped today:)

Thank you Ter for the sweet words, I wouldn't be the same if I didn't have my blog partners.

(((group hug)))

Kathy said...

I'm holding Grant's wife, son and family in my thoughts and prayers, Lisa. Death at such a young age is never easy to understand. May we all find comfort in Grant's blog and may we take the time to reach out more to those around us.

Janga said...

What a lovely, moving tribute to your friend, Lisa. Such a sad loss! But his blog makes clear that he lived life and touched the lives of others. I hope his family will find comfort in remembering that. They--and you--will be in my prayers.

Lisa said...

Kathy and Janga, Thank you both so much for the thoughts and prayers, they are much appreciated.

Sin and Hellion, Paint the town red ladies, and don't forget where your home is:)

Elyssa said...

My thoughts are with Grant's family. After reading most of his blog entries, Grant strikes me as a man who was loved and had love for others. His family can take comfort in that he reached others--even in death. And his son, when he grows up, will be able to find his blog and discover the man that his father was. Although I'm sure Grant's wife will tell their son stories about his father, too.

Hellion said...

It's 10:47 pm on Saturday, and I'm already in my Jack pjs, makeup wiped off, and exhausted beyond belief...but I had the best freaking time. I can't wait to tell you all about it.