Monday, March 17, 2008

The Soundtrack of the Hero’s Journey

All stories are the same at the core. Even our ancient ancestors knew the value of a commercial ending where good triumphs evil and the boy gets the girl. Beowulf. David & Goliath. Jesus. (Okay, so there’s some disqualifying disclaimers about the boy getting the girl thing…but I assure you, we’ve always wanted the good guy to win.) Joseph Campbell recognized it: All stories relate and put into perspective the human experiences (themes, if you will) of love and conflict. It’s why a lot of the time we stare blankly at our screens, wondering what to write and sound original, because nothing has been original since man started scribbling their stories down.

Because Joseph Campbell wasn’t a writer, he wasn’t exactly interesting in how he explained all this. And he certainly didn’t have the benefit of a smörgåsbord of pop hits to explain the key points. Music always gets me in touch with the scenes I need to write, so maybe you can use this to make a little soundtrack for yourself when you find yourself at a hero’s journey step you’re writing. Think how much better the scene with Beowulf and Grendel would be if Who Wants To Live Forever or The Final Countdown had been playing in the background.

The Ordinary World: This is the part where you reveal the lives of the hero and heroine before they meet. What are their problems, what’s missing? This aspect is frequently tied with “The Call to Adventure” as an opening hook, to draw the reader in and keep them interested. It’s a careful balance to reveal enough of the characters that we connect to them and care about the urgent problem.

Song: Ordinary World [Duran Duran]; It’s a Beautiful Life [Ace of Base]

The Call to Adventure: the inciting incident, the hook. The urgent problem that suddenly disrupts the ordinary world where the hero and heroine was previously holding it together. The more urgent, the better.

Song: It’s the End of the World as We Know It [REM]

Refusal of the Call: Clearly we don’t want urgent problems. We are content with the status quo from before, and we make every effort to ignore the problem (in hope it goes away) or give it away (make it someone else’s problem.) And because our natural inclination is to ignore our problems or have someone else take care of them, we create more conflict—and consequences to our actions and inaction.

Song: We Don’t Need Another Hero [Tina Turner]

Meeting with the Mentor: Don’t worry: this is not always Yoda or Gandalf. In a regular romance novel, you don’t exactly go around looking for little green men or white-bearded magicians to pick their brains for advice. But you usually do have the funny sidekick best friend or the precocious child who offers up the one statement that makes the hero/heroine reconsider taking the steps toward love.

Song: That’s What Friends Are For [Dionne Warwick]; You Can Call Me Al [Paul Simon]

Crossing the First Threshold: The first plot point aspect that is frequently referred to in other less fun, confusing writing articles. It is the event that is the first turning point where the hero and heroine are going to start working together.

Song: Let’s Work Together [Canned Heat]; Take a Chance on Me [ABBA]

Tests, Enemies and Allies: The first half of the middle where the hero and heroine are still getting to know each other, where enemies who will cause problems later (as well as here) reveal themselves, where we’ll meet characters who want the hero and heroine together. If you follow the four-act structure, this is the “complications” portion of the programming. I think this is where the sexual tension is building to the boiling point.

Song: Hungry Eyes [Eric Carmen]; Abracadabra [Steve Miller Band]

Approach to the Inmost Cave: Plot point 2. Midpoint of the story where the characters, whether they realize it or not, start to love each other. Trust, intimacy.

Song: Can’t Help Fallin’ In Love [Elvis or UB40]; Fallin’ [Alicia Keys]

The Supreme Ordeal: Plot Point 3, an event that has far reaching consequences and which answers the question posed in the first part of the book. (Frequently characters start out with one goal or want, and here is where it is sorely tested.)

Song: Hanging by a Moment [Lifehouse]; The World I Know [Collective Soul];

Seizing the Sword: Consequences of the Supreme Ordeal, either good or bad.

Song: Everything You Want [Vertical Horizon]; We Are the Champions [Queen]

The Road Back: A somewhat quieter time before (and including) the Black Moment where on the surface things appear fine, but beneath the surface, we know everything is going to implode and have fall out

Song: It Must Have Been Love [Roxette]; Don’t Know What You’ve Got (Till It’s Gone) [Cinderella]

Resurrection: The part after the Black Moment where the heroine womans up (or the hero mans up) to their neuroses and gets a grip. Tinkle or get off the pot. Because we’re writing HEA’s—they tinkle.

Song: Return to Me [Bob Dylan]; …Baby, One More Time [Britney Spears]

Return With the Elixir: The HEA. ‘Nuff said.

Song: Baby, I Love Your Way [Big Mountain]; Power of Love [Celine Dion]

So clearly besides my schizophrenic and questionable taste in “pop/rock” music, we can also come to the glaring conclusion I’m no closer to completing my synopsis this week than I was last week and have now chosen to pursue that most noble of all writing traditions: PROCRASTINATION. If you had a soundtrack for the hero’s journey, what songs would you put on it? What’s your hero and heroine’s theme or love song?

And speaking of songs that get you in the “mood” for scenes, what songs do you listen to when you’re writing love scenes? (Bow-chica-bow-wow…) I’m afraid my song choices are just as tasteless as the ones I’ve listed above. Right now I even have Britney’s Slave4You rolling through my mind.

38 comments:

Sin said...

I LOVED Roxette *busting out the mic*

In fact, I ran a mile to Listen to Your Heart. I hit repeat. I don't think the people at the gym will ever be the same.

And you know that if my hero(es) had a soundtrack it would be that music that you have no idea of the words, they are just constantly screaming. I love that. Same with Sadie.

But if I had a song for Ash and Sadie it would be Egypt Central's song: My Way

I'm not sure about Ruiz and Sadie. Since Ruiz loves her, Sadie loves him but keeps him at arm's length, I'm just not sure. Good thought provoke question today. A song can tell you a lot about a person/couple.

Sin said...

I love Stabbing Westward's song "What do I have to do".

OMG. That's Ruiz and Sadie's song! Eep!

When I'm in the mood to write such "scenes" I normally get out the rap. E-40. 50cent. Lil Kim. Khia. Trina. Lil Jon. Nothing like a song that is all slang to make me want to get up and pretend to dance. LOL. But it's the beat in the background that does it for me.

Tiffany Kenzie said...

I love the comparison's you do Hellion...

To get in the mood... don't throw anything...red right hand...nick cave! I've got memories to go with that song...lol

Marnee Jo said...

As you all know, I'm working up to my first big plot twist. (PS, I'm really making a muck out of it, it'll need massive revision). Anyway, right now I think "So Close" by Hall and Oates is a good vibe for it.

Great blog, Cap'n.

Sin said...

When I write action scenes I listen to speed metal. I don't ever listen to the words. It's just background to everything going on inside my head.

Marnee Jo said...

Speed Metal. Wow. Do I get made fun of if I say that stuff gives me a headache?

I remember seeing the band Clutch in concert in NYC and this band, Dillinger Escape Plan, opened for them. Holy moly. They would go really slow, then speed up and scream "RAH RAH RAH!" (or the equivalent, couldn't understand the words) for a few minuets and then slow down again. It assaulted my ears so thoroughly I laughed clear through their entire show. The people I was with thought I would get us beaten up.

Sin said...

*laughing* No. I'm not going to make fun of you. I don't listen to it all the time. I only listen to it on occasion. Hellion will tell you I listen to it all the time. But I listen to alternative music. Evanescence being my favorite choice. Or Lacuna Coil. Nothing assaulting on the ears about either of them.

MsHellion said...

Sin apparently saves her Speed Metal listening for when *I'm* in the car. I'm so blessed. But to be fair, when she's in my car, she gets to listen to country or Harry Potter on CD.

Now I have "Listen to Your Heart" running through my head. But I actually like that song, so we're good.

MsHellion said...

Tiff, *grinning* why am I not surprised about the music choice? Actually I thought you were going to say *prim Tiff voice* "I don't listen to lyric-songs when I write. I listen to [*insert obscure composer here*]"

Despite it being Nick Cave, I am rather impressed you're inspired by bands who *sing*

MsHellion said...

So Close? Do I know that song? *confused brow* It's probably actually a good song. *LOL* I'm such a pop song/trendy beat junkie that it's rare I like a song of any lasting class.

Sin said...

I do not. I save the lighter stuff for you *grinning*

Kelly Krysten said...

I can't listen to music as I write. I stop paying attention to the writing and focus on the music*g*

Marnee Jo said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXPMYA7EqYE

It's an old song, but I like it. :)

Janga said...

Hellion, if anyone ever gives a prize for the most imaginative blogs, I'll nominate you.

The soundtrack for my WIP is one I can hear only in my head since it consists mostly of songs written by my hero Max.

I can't listen to music with lyrics when I write either, but one of the scenes in TLWH that I am most pleased was inspired by Keith Urban's, "You Look Good in My Shirt." You can't beat country for story songs.

Tessa Dare said...

Great topic! And great suggestions! I blogged a month or so ago that I love to listen to the song "Feelin' Love" by Paula Cole before writing love scenes.

terrio said...

*doing a happy dance to be back online*

Stupid work server. It hates me, I swear.

Awesome blog. Oddly enough, I, the DJ of the group, do not have a soundtrack for my WIP. But I'm going to think about this and come back. Surely *I* could come up with something. LOL!

Sin - I only recognize a few of those rappers and Evanescence. Have them on my iPod in fact. Love 'em. LOL! Have you tried Breaking Benjamin? LOVE them. And the latest Seether isn't bad. But don't tell Amy I said that. LOL!

Off to think about my soundtrack.

Sin said...

As a matter of fact, I went to a concert a few years back when Breaking Benjamin was just starting to get big, along with Evanescence and Seether and little band called Three Days Grace. Back in the day, this will tell you how long it's been, Evanescence was the headliner. BB was a small time show. All four were AWESOME in concert.

And I own every song Evanescence has ever done. Including any and all Amy Lee has done on her own.

Lacuna Coil is like them. You'd enjoy them.

MsHellion said...

*googles the Hall & Oates song* Ahhhh, they're like a cross of the best things of a big hair band and Michael Bolton. Got it. I forgot to put some Michael Bolton songs on my soundtrack. Damnit!

terrio said...

You had to google Hall & Oates? Tell me you're kidding or I just aged a freaking decade.

Sin - BB & Three Days Grace opened for Nickelback last year and the show was freaking awesome. I love Three Days Grace too. I must google Lacuna Coil.

Oh, and they have been working on my comp since the last time I was here. Even had to change the dang thing out. So I haven't figured out my soundtrack yet. Off to do that now.

MsHellion said...

*grins at Janga* Thank you! :) *gets sidetracked imagining a little Oscar statue for Blog of the Year* Sorry, I got my hair styled this afternoon, and my ego just skyrockets every time my eyebrows are waxed. I feel like Ava Gardner.

I love country music's STORY songs. (Ode to Billie Joe is one of my favorites! But there are lots and lots of brilliant country songs. It amazes me how funny Brad Paisley is in his songs.)

MsHellion said...

Kelly, I can't say that if a certain song comes on that I don't get distracted and focus more on how it has impacted MY life in some way rather than my characters' lives. But sometimes I'll hear a song and I'll go "Ben & Livie!" or "Lucy!!"--and that's their song. I'll play it whenever I write a scene with them in it. I think song (and lyrics) can define character better than if I just think "Ben has been hurt before"--songs say exactly how he's been hurt with so few words. Some songs are just pure backstory without me having to think it up.

Sin said...

God, I hated the last Seether CD. Very whiny. I think they've just gone downhill since Disclaimer, but that's my honest opinion.

You'd like Under the Flood. Not mainstream, but very much a mix of BB and TDG, with a dash of Evanescence like lyrics.

See *sticking tongue out at Hellion* I can listen to music other people can enjoy. LOL

terrio said...

I'll have to add that to my list. This current Seether is my first and it's not bad. Definitely not whiny. When you name a song F**k Me Like You Hate Me, I'm pretty sure you're not whining. LOL!

I didn't listen to this stuff when Captain was with me only because it was so much more fun to torture Tiff with country. *g*

MsHellion said...

Hi Tessa! Is it bad of me to confess the only Paula Cole song I know is Where Have All the Cowboys Gone? I do love her voice though...I bet it's a good song!

Sin said...

I didn't even like that song! Gah! Verra sad. To be fair, I will say, Evanescence's last CD was a little whiny as well. Singers/writers should date each other. It only pisses me off when I have to listen to it.

terrio said...

I never got the other Evanescence stuff but this current one is very whiney. When I first got it, I had no idea what she was saying. But you can't ignore the melodies.

That's not my favorite Seether on here, but it's the title I remember for obvious reasons. LOL!

Kelly Krysten said...

Good point Hellion. When I'm in the car I do hear songs that make me go 'Chelsea and Alec!' or 'Sephen'. But I just can't listen to them as I write. It's probably a sign of low intelligence that I can't manage two things at once. I also can't talk on a cell phone and drive.lol.

MsHellion said...

Sorry, but yes, I had to, Terri. It says they did the first "Every time you go away" but the version I know is the Paul Young one. *LOL*

Now if someone wants to start naming country music groups and songs...I can do that like no one's business!

MsHellion said...

Kelly, nah, not low intelligence. That's a sign of pure FOCUS. People who do about 10 things at once have a scattered brain.

Sin said...

Origin is my favorite Evanescence CD. And I had to just burn them from the internet. To find an original of Origin will set you back major money. But their stuff before they went mainstream is just SO much better. Though I won't deny that Fallen was an excellent CD. And that I love The Only One from the newest.

Sin said...

Are you calling me a scatter brain?

Lisa said...

H-If the music you chose for this blog is tasteless then I'm rolling in it:) I loved every song you mentioned, and how you correlated them with aspects of writing a WIP. Just fabulous! I admire your creativity more than I can say.

I would think of a few songs to describe my characters but for some reason I can't get my brain to cooperate.

I'm a weird one. I've never been able to listen to music when I write, it's very distracting for me. I have to have silence. I was the same way in school. I couldn't study and listen to music. It drove my room mates crazy. I think it has something to do with my brain capacity, and the fact that I'm an air head . *g*

terrio said...

Sin - I was so going to type that.

Lisa - You think you're bad, I have some of those songs on vinyl. LOL!

Still thinking.....

MsHellion said...

I was mainly justifying my love of Britney Spears. And Michael Bolton. "Hit me baby one more time" *shakes her booty and does a John Travolta arm movement*

I'm trying to figure out where I can put "Whole Wide World" in this soundtrack. And I think "Hold On Tight" would go under Ordinary World & Call to Adventure...with maybe a reprise at the Seize the Sword area.

I thought of a good Seize the Sword moment in a book. In Lisa Kleypas' Sugar Daddy--she has finally moved on with Gage and has this wonderful new life, and who walks back into her life? Hardy Cates. That moment is like Supreme Ordeal and Seize the Sword rolled into one moment....

Lisa said...

H-I just bought Sugar Daddy but am afraid to read it. I love her historicals, and I'm afraid her contemporary romance won't pack the same punch. What did you think?

MsHellion said...

Oh, there is EMOTIONAL PUNCH. Sugar Daddy is so wonderful, I'm almost willing to forgive her for Scandal in Spring. (Almost.) It's wonderful. I heard it on CD; and some of the lines, feelings she evoked--all I could think was, "Damn, I wish I could write a tenth of this woman's power."

In the beginning she'll have you completely in love with Hardy Cates. You can't imagine anyone else for her. Then you'll meet Gage...and you'll really think no one can be better than Hardy Cates. And then, out of nowhere, you fall in love with Gage...and you can't imagine Hardy anymore.

It's MAGIC. And it's powerful.

Lisa said...

Crap *glancing longingly at SD on the TBR pile* I was afraid you were going to say that. The woman could write directions for mixing pancake batter and make it a best seller.

Sin said...

*sticking fingers in ears* I'm not listening to this... lalalala.

Pirates and Wenches alike, don't forget tomorrow is our blog day with Pamela Clare!! You won't have to put up with my sad pathetic attempts to blog this week! I hear your sighs of relief!