Tuesday, February 26, 2008

On the Road Again

I tell you- there is nothing like a vacation in the winter. Take it from me. After four months of total crap weather, a girl needs to get away before she withers into winter’s deep dark depression.

I always get a little stir crazy come February. Tis true that I’m ruled by Jupiter and like to roam about the country a bit, but there is something about knowing spring is right around the corner. I’m showing the impatience of my zodiac sign.

So to curb this impatience, I just feed it some spring like weather and hightail it to Phoenix (Arizona) for a week every February. In the winter, I can understand why my family feels the need to live in the desert. Cold to them is 60 degrees in the sunshine. Cold to me is… well, like living in the Arctic Circle where it never stops snowing and never shows the sunshine.

This year I resolved to do a bit of work while motoring around the busy streets of Phoenix and the surrounding suburbs. I already know my way about. I know which streets to take, which ones to avoid. What areas are popular and what are not. I know where the best places to eat are. I know the highways. But do I really know the “heart” of this city I’d like to write a series? No. Not really at all.

I love to people watch. I love to experience a city just by wandering around casually and stumbling onto everything day life. Listen to the sounds. Smell the atmosphere. There is something that’s inspiring about a city you know nothing about. So for a couple of days instead of playing the vacationer, I played the resident. I did nothing but what my normal routine would be back home. I got up. Early. Slipped my glasses on and went in search of coffee (which I had to make). Took my coffee to the shower (but did NOT drink it in the shower. Gimme some credit wenches.) Did my normal top secret bathroom routine, which includes many layers of war paint. Turned on the TV in search of the local news to scope out the traffic and on which roads. Jotted down notes on scenes I could possibly see. Motored out to the rental and took a drive. I had to experience traffic. City traffic. (Gotta tell you Hellion, I think we’ve got them beat.) And went back to the house. This is where my routine gets a little screwy because I wasn’t working. But I was thinking about what my heroine would be doing. That was fun. Can’t tell you though, top secret and all that jazz.

At night, I’d go for a run in the neighborhood. Since I was staying with my grandmother, it was safe to be on the street at 8pm. I took in the palm trees framed by the twinkling stars in the vast desert skyline. The way the mountains were framed in the distance and the streetlamps gave them an eerie glow. The way the cold mountain breeze rustled through the orange tress. The smell of flowers blooming, fresh cut grass, dirty water rushing from lawns and into the street. There is something calming about the night here. Things are not rushed. It’s almost peaceful. Border line relaxing once the sun falls behind the mountain peaks. And then I knew, while running down a dark, quiet street with the streetlamp coming up on my right, the dry culvert running through the side street just ahead of me, that this was the right place to start my next series. The city is almost schizophrenic in its ability to completely make a 180 from sunrise to sunset. And that’s what makes a great city to write about. The ability to draw the reader in (even if you have to fudge a bit to get it quite right) it still has the outline to which you base every scene on.

So my question today: Have you ever traveled to check out a city you wanted to base your WIP from? Fictional or fact, it doesn’t matter. We all choose location for a reason, so what was your deciding factor? Readers, does it thrill you to read a book and know the city or does it do nothing for you?

21 comments:

Lisa said...

Sin, Sounds like you had a wonderful trip, good for you!

My WIP is based in CT in a small waterfront town. I haven't visited the area but would love too. I have visited Hartford, so I know something about CT, but probably not enough to do it justice. I am fortunate that I have a friend who lives there, so I have the benefit of a great resource person.

I can see a research trip in my future.

I've read a book that took place in an area I was familiar with, and it added so much to the overall story, because the setting was written so accurately.

Description is so important, and you are wise to have scoped out the area. I'm sure it will benefit you immensely when you write. It's one thing to research the internet and other resources about a location, but to experience it first hand, is priceless.

terrio said...

Wow, you had me sitting right there in AZ with you. I'd say running along with you but we all know I would never run. *g*

I set my first WIP on the Eastern Shore because I thought it would be cool and it was close enough(about 90 mins) to take trips for research.

Then I drove through the Eastern Shore and realized it was all wrong for my story. LOL! So I made up some fictional town and I haven't even decided what state it's in.

On the back burner I have a romantic comedy set in Pittsburgh (where I used to live and my family still lives) and one set on Ocracoke Island (where I spent vacation couple years ago and close enough to take a weekend trip).

I hope I can have a career where I can set books in lots of different places and make trips to all of them. It would be a great way to feed my need to travel and write off all the expenses. LOL!

Maggie Robinson said...

I am so jealous. It snowed all night and I think my car is out there somewhere. A couple of years ago I made my family take a detour in Dorset to visit an estate I'd seen online. Wow is all I can say. I tap into that trip to use the that house and gardens in my wips.

Tiffany Kenzie said...

sounds like a good trip, Sin.

I have traveled very little... I've now been to VA and Montreal and Halifax...that's it. oh wait, there was quebec city, where they don't care to help out an Anglaphone... teehee.

I make up places. I'm geographically challenged and if I tried to base a actual place in the story, I'd screw it up. Even for my native Toronto, I change street names for my current wip, though I know I'm talking about trinity bellewoods, and locals reading my story might think that... no one can call me out! LOL

Tiffany Kenzie said...

Maggie... I've found pictures of places I really like in research and use them in my WIP too... The anteroom in ITN... is a real place... Somewhere in my files, don't ask me to name it, I don't remember names--people or place names... lol!

Marnee Jo said...

Sin, I'm so glad you had a good vacation! :)

I have not visited the setting of my WIP yet, though I very much want to. I write Regency set mostly in London, so I can't ever get a true view of that city, it being 2 centuries ago.

But, that doesn't mean I don't want to cross the pond as soon as I can. Hopefully in the next couple years.

I haven't been west of the Mississippi, but I very much want to. Arizona looks so beautiful.

irisheyes said...

Welcome Home, Sin! I'm jealous. What I wouldn't give to be warm when I'm not covered in 3-4 layers!

I think if I would use a setting it would be the city I live in because I know it so well. I'd probably be more apt to make one up though just to be safe. I'd always be afraid of getting some detail wrong. I think that's why I shy away from historicals.

As for reading about places I've been or that I'm familiar with, I do like it. I've read several books set in places I know and I get all excited when I recognize the places the author is describing.

MsHellion said...

I haven't TRAVELED to a city to use in my books, but I have used places I've traveled to in reference to some of my books. Hell, Grand Cayman, is such a place. (Yes, there is really a place called Hell there. You can mail postcards and everything.) There is also a bar in Hell called (wait for it) The Inferno. I decided Lucifer must run this bar...so in one of my many incarnations of my book, Grand Cayman was one of my locals.

I need to go visit again. I loved that place. They even have a pirate ship in the middle of their bay area.

I would love to set something in Boston too...I loved Boston and the surrounding area in Massachusetts.

And I'm thinking Norfolk might be a good spot to set a book. *LOL*

terrio said...

Grand Caymen is by far the most beautiful place I've ever been. Though Jamaica was pretty awesome too.

You guys that write historical have to make the trip to Biltmore House in Ashville, NC. Built in the 1890s by George Vanderbilt, the house is 175,000 sq feet and it's incredible. I can't even describe it, you just have to see it.

And the gardens. Just like you read about in the books. You could walk through them for hours and I just know you could write all kinds of scenes from the inspiration you'd get.

I'm considering setting a contemp there. The property is huge and includes a hotel, winery and full working farm. Perfect setting to keep the h/h in close proximity without much trouble.

Janga said...

Sin, I loved your description. It made me want to head west for a visit.

I don't think I could write about a place that I didn't know well. Three places are important in my WIP. Only Nashville is real. I had to use it; there is no other Music City. But Gentry, Georgia, and Ethan's Gap, North Carolina, are fictional composites of places I know.

The heroine of my second book is a world traveler. I have some qualms about writing her story, but I find inspiration in Nora Roberts, who says that most of her research on settings is done through the Internet.

Sin said...

Thanks guys! I had a great time in Phoenix. It was warm and mostly that's all I require on a vacation. LOL

Today is my first day back at the job so I'm trying to dig my way out of paperwork.

Just in general, I love made up cities. You can put just about anything anywhere in them. It works better so you don't have to get the facts just right and for me, it's fun to make up street names. LOL

Lis, Ter, Maggie, Tiff, Marn, Irish, Hellion and Janga, thanks to you all for commenting. Phoenix is a beautiful city. It's interesting to go to a city that has suburbs that we're just incorporated in the 50's. I say that's why their streets are so much better than ours. Why their subdivisions are set up nicer even in the older areas. And there is something about driving on a road that doesn't have road kill laying in the ditch every 20 feet. And having a mall on every corner.

But there is a recent history to the city. I like that sort of vibe it gives off. Very laid back and not real uppity. I'd never live there but it's definitely a nice place to visit. And if you do go, you have to drive through the desert to get a feel for the life there. Sand, dirt, cactus, shrubs. In the city there are a lot of palm trees and orange trees. It gives off a great smell with the mountain air. That's what I love most. That and going into the garden shop on the corner and standing at the threshold and breathing in the flowers. You can't get that here yet.

Marnee Jo said...

Sheesh, I wanna smell some flowers. It's been gray here 90 percent of the time since September. We don't get much snow in South Jersey, but we sure do get the dreary stuff instead.

It sounds like you got the boast to your system you were hoping for. That's wonderful.

I don't really love the research for historical places as much as the research for historical people. I've mentioned before that when I write, it almost feels like they could be having their conversation on a blank screen. *sigh* Things to work on later....

irisheyes said...

Terri, I'm in charge of the big family reunion for 2009 and we're thinking about making it Gatlinburg. I made sure everyone was aware that I'm taking a day to drive to the Biltmore! My sisters have been there and say it's awesome - right up my alley.

terrio said...

Irish - I LOVE Gatlinburg. You have to go in the fall. OMG! It's just gorgeous. I spent my honeymoon there. Ok, ultimately that didn't turn out so well but it was still beautiful.

The Biltmore will be about a 90 or so minute drive but totally worth it. And right through those breath-taking mountains. Be prepared to never want to leave. LOL!

Oh, and you have to eat in the restaurant. It's the old stables and the booths are right in the old stalls. Order the chocolate & peanut butter mouse pie thingy. You'll know it by the Reese's Cup on top. It's to die for!

If anyone wants to check it out, you can find it at www.biltmore.com.

irisheyes said...

That sounds awesome! Maybe I'll ditch the family and the DH and I will go stay there for a couple of days. I'm still trying to get a romantic getaway weekend to Williamsburg! He keeps saying since its historical we should bring the kids.

terrio said...

Irish - you and the DH can rent a private little cottage on the Biltmore Estate and it even comes with your own BUTLER! LOL! You promise him things you two could do in that cottage and if I know Mr. Irish at all, I'm betting he won't even think about taking the kids. LOL!

BUT, if you come to Williamsburg, you have to make sure we meet up for lunch somewhere. I love it up there.

MsHellion said...

Yeah, if she goes to Williamsburg, I might have to fly out there for a big Jack-Will Lovechild Groupie Fan reunion.

Damnit, Terr, I want to go the island place with the pirates...and now I also want to go to Biltmore...stop giving me decisions! This is impossible! How am I supposed to pick a vacation?

Renee said...

Good lord, I haven't been out of Kansas for years. The closest thing for me to research are corn fields. I'd love to visit somewhere warm about now.

Phoenix is one of my favorite places I've ever been to, well next to Flagstaff.

If I could go anywhere for research it'd be hmmmmm, Greece and the Mediterranean, I have one placed in Israel, but most everything else I've written to date has been in placed the UK.

terrio said...

Don't forget about the Harry Potter Theme Park.

*ducks the flying rum bottle*

You know, you throw those dang things at me way too often.

Eileen said...

Hi! Having email woes on the road (I'm on book tour) but I got your message and would LOVE to do a guest blog. I'm home on Sat and will follow up when I can send messages without bouncing around.
Thanks for the nice comments about my book!

terrio said...

Hi there, Eileen! I haven't read your book yet as the Captain only told me about it today but I love the excerpt (I'm a Capricorn too!) and I love your blog. It's so pretty.

Be careful out there on the road and so looking forward to you hopping aboard for day!