Thursday, January 10, 2008

Every Girl Loves a Bad Boy


‘Tis true.

I grew up loving bad boys. I have this thing for tall, dark and handsome. Just ask my DH. He’ll agree. Because he’s like that. He’s not modest at all. lol.

The ultimate bad boy just makes me tingle all over. The swagger. The way he doesn’t care about what people think. The ability to throw caution to the wind and just do it. (And not just that “do it”. But still they do it well.) There hasn’t been a time in my life when I hadn’t thought about the bad boy and how I was gonna get my hands on him. It’s that initial rush when you’re in a bad boy’s arms, the way he makes you feel about yourself. The way everything is new and exciting. And it stays that way because he’s mysterious. He’d dark and edgy. And he knows how to light you on fire with one single look.

The bad boy is my favorite part of writing a novel. Creating the man who’s gonna make my heroine want to pull her hair out with his sarcasm. The man who is gonna knock her socks off with his looks and make the room feel two sizes too small when they are together. He’s the man, who at the end of the day, when she’s trying to sleep, all she can hear is his smart ass comments. And remember the way his eyes raked over her when she stepped into the room. The way he makes her temperature sky rocket when he brushes up against her. The man who invades her dreams, kisses her lips, touches her bare skin, makes her cry out his name.

He is her bad boy. He is her crutch. He’s everything she could want and more. If she was looking for someone.

When I started fleshing out my Romantic-Suspense WIP, I had this vision of a man. I could hear his voice in my head as I was driving to work one hot summer day. I was sitting in traffic, minding my own business (okay, so I was flipping off the person who had cut me off) and I could hear him laughing. It was this deep, gruff laugh, the kind that belongs to a man with dark intentions and even darker abilities. Then I heard this woman, very girly voice, yelling about him not sneaking up on her. They got into a very heated argument. And then I knew. I had my leads for my first original.

I wasn’t looking for them at the time. At the time I was in the middle of a very intense and detailed fic about a Colombian drug lord who had almost killed my heroine in the first fic and she was trying to stay alive long enough to solve the mystery. I was thoroughly involved with the story line. I wanted to give it life, watch it soar and remember it always. After all it was a part of the first time I’d ever written for pleasure. Writing 20 page papers on music theory and computer programming are not really up my alley. No matter how much I like to talk about computers. lol

But there are some times no one listens to you, the writer. Sometimes your characters dictate what you’re going to do and what you’re going to write. And so Double Vision was born. A novel created from the insanity that is my mind. A plot that I’ve consistently changed every three months for the past year and a half. My hero/heroine are very hard to please and every time I think it’s right it’s not.

But it is this time.

So this man keeps coming to me. He talks to me in the shower. He talks to me while I’m putting on my makeup. He scolds me when I let people in front of me while being stopped in traffic. And he laughs when I swear at the person I just let in front of me. He tells me I need to get a new job because I can't shoot anyone who pisses me off. And he follows me to the gym while I run on the treadmill, bitching that I don’t stay longer ( I think an hour is long enough, thankyouverymuch! ) and he follows me into my dreams. He shows me what he wants to do, how he wants to do it. Ash is a doer. He doesn’t follow. He blazes the way and he won’t rest until he gets his way from me. And Sadie. However he can get it.

So I guess the question of the day is: Do you have a bad boy in your life? A favorite bad boy from a series or book? And if you have one in mind, does he play a major part in writing your own WIP bad boy?

25 comments:

Maggie Robinson said...

I have a mischievous boy in my life, but he was bad before he met me, LOL. You cannot take the bad out of the bad boy completely. I do respond to that "cool" level in fiction. There's nothing like a reformed rake.

Lisa said...

Magnificient blog Sin:)

I've had bad boys in my life, I married one. He's a reformed rake. (love that term Maggie)

You described the bad boy persona very well. For me it's all about the mystery. As I said earlier this week...less is more for me in a lot of aspects of writing. From smut, to dialog, to the bad boy hero.

Of course my favorite bad boy is Ranger. I will probably never create a hero that doesn't have at least a small portion of the qualities I admire in Ranger. All bad boys have that confident swagger, and mysteriuos persona, and enough sex appeal to melt a stick of butta:) I love that tingly feeling I get everytime they deliver that perfect cocky line, or whisper something intimate that makes you want to drool.

I can only wish that the perfect hero would talk to me in traffic...

TiffinaC said...

I have the nice boy.

Awesome blog btw!

But he's sarcastic as all hell. I have one bad boy, but really, he's not that bad, more the black sheet (Nicholas) But I have a feeling Nate is going to be really bad when I get back to finishing his story... he's a contemp were.

Fav bad boys in novels: Cam, Derek, Sebastian, Nick... Lisa Kleypas knows how to do 'em. With the perfect dark brooding edge! other than that... I'm going on too little sleep to think straight :D

terrio said...

A woman after me own heart. Bad boys. *sigh* 'Nuff said.

Well, I married the idgit, farm boy, redneck, mama's boy so that would be a big NO. BUT, I dated the bad boy next. There's something about that intensity that is just sexy as hell. Don't even get me started on what they can *do*. Oh my....

Sorry, where was I? Oh yes, coffee. I need coffee....

But I'll be back.

Batcave is forever said...

Bad boys. Yummmy. But it has to be a "good" bad boy - I had a bad boy missing the heart of gold, and believe me, you don't want to go there. And, of course, the quintessential bad boy is Ranger - it just doesn't get any better (or it won't until I see what Lisa and Christie on the shelves at Borders).
For me, my bad boy has to be smart in a way that I'm not. My husband can drive 18 wheelers, and he's never sexier than when he's standing in front of one of his trucks, with the workboots, tshirt and unbuttoned shirt over that. Just gives me hot flashes thinking about it.

Sin said...

Maggie, I love reformed rakes!

There is a certain quality in a bad boy that softens after a while when they are in your possession. It's not that they still don't have "it" they just reserve it until they can use it to their advantage. lol

Lis, mysterious is my favorite part of a bad boy (besides the swagger, because I love the swagger). And Ash sometimes makes me want to headbutt a wall. He's hard to control but not as bad as Sadie. Yeesh. High maintence characters. LOL

Tiff! I love LK's bad boys too. There's something about them that draws me into them.

Terr- Intensity is sexy as hell. And all of it being focused on you.. *fanning self*

Thanks for reading and commenting wenches!!

Sin said...

K!!!! OMG! You came over! I'm honored!

I know what you mean. There's something about knowing he's yours, all yours.

terrio said...

Wow! Batcave hit a big one for me. He has to be *capable* and I don't just mean with his hands. And other parts....wait, I'm getting distracted again. Focus.

When a guy can do something that takes skill and finess, whether it's throwing a 90mph fast ball or twirling a drumstick during a solo, I'm a goner.

Lisa said...

K!

Welcome aboard!

You hit the nail on the head about your DH in work attire....I love my reformed rake in jeans,a ball cap and work boots..the thought makes me quiver in all the right palces:)

DeeSKnight said...

Whoa, Sin! First of all, I love the name. Ash... It does make you kinda burn. Great choice!

I know many women like the bad boy, but I've always been kind of a boy-next-door girl. Not that my BND can't take charge when he wants to, but he's, I don't know, sweet.

That doesn't stop me from liking to read bad boys, though. Can't wait to see Ash in action, woman!

Good job!!!

Sin said...

*bouncing* Dee! Thank you so much hon!

Once my erotica is finished and edited, I'll get started on Ash/Sadie series. If I write consistantly, I should be done in a couple of months :)

And there's nothing wrong with the BND, but I'm too high-strung for the BND. They find me difficult and abrasive. LOL. BB work better for me because they have this ability to make me feel vunerable and I love that about a BB.

irisheyes said...

Great Blog, Sin!

I think I've got a mischievous/naughty boy, like Maggie, not an honest to goodness bad boy. More like the class clown than the class bad-a$$. I think naughty was as far as my Catholic conscious would let me go. LOL

I remember being in HS, though, and eyeing all the public school, leather clad, smoking, motorcycle riding guys parked all along the streets outside my school waiting to pick up their girlfriends. I think the appeal of the Bad Boy is universal.

I also agree that Lisa Kleypas has created some greats. The one thing about her Bad Boys is that they always have a heart of gold. You gotta have that for me to fall for them in the books I read.

I also want to put my two cents in regarding the name Ash - Very, very cool name. And sexy too!

terrio said...

Irish - I remember those guys! LOL! Thank goodness the Catholic School Girl uniform is as much kryptonite to them as they are to us. LOL!

I'm afraid I'm more likely to want the naught BND in real life. I don't have the patience to deal with a high-maintenance PITA man. Then again, that sort of describes all of them. Damn it.

Marnee Jo said...

I didn't marry a bad boy, but I dated many before marrying my Beta boy.

There's a passion about bad boys, though. However, I remember thinking some boys I dated were takecharge/passionate and they ended up just being arrogant. :( Annoying.

terrio said...

See, Marnee, that's my problem. The arrogance. For me - confidence is sexy as hell. Conceit is annoying as hell. Now, try living in a huge military population and find a guy that is confident and not conceited? Well, that's a bad generalization but I can promise you, it ain't easy.

And I know - they HAVE to have that attitude for what they do. Totally get it. But it just doesn't work for me.

And in case I haven't mentioned it, Ash is sex-on-a-stick. Just sayin'...

MsHellion said...

God, I need a cigarette after reading that blog.

Yes, Ben hangs out with me a lot. But since I don't mess with his story so much anymore, Lucy has been hanging around again, harping he wants to be free of his curse, insisting that Elizabeth is a stripper and not a cocktail waitress...and occasionally he even propositions me. The devil.

irisheyes said...

I'm right there with you on the arrogance thing, Terri. I just want a take charge, can do anything type of guy who knows when to step back and not be Mr. Know-It-All. Is that asking too much, I ask you!!!!!

As for the Catholic School Uniform, I think it was akin to mice with cheese! They saw it and came running. The DH still gets mad at me for burning my uniform! Says he could have lived out a lot of his teenage fantasies with that one! (See what I mean... naughty, naughty, naughty!)

And I firmly believe that if I hadn't been insightful enough to seek out therapy, I would have ended up with a really bad boy with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I was attracted to them like bees to honey! I always wanted to change them or help them! Who can resist a wounded hero?!

terrio said...

*high fives Irish*

So right. Why can't they be perfect...for us? LOL! I actually still have my school uniform skirt. If you're DH wants it bad enough, I'm sure I could part with it...for a price.

Diamonds are always good...

DeeSKnight said...

Once your erotica is edited...

Do I get to see that?? Just because I'm in the Northlands doesn't mean I can't critique, does it? :(

Lin said...

Awesome blog Sin!

And so true. There are few things I love as much as the bad boy. There's just something about him that makes me want to get down on my knees and beg him to take me. God, I think I just drooled a little... :D

I can't wait to read more about your wonderful Ash, babe. I'm tingling all over just thinking about it.

harlot said...

It's V!!!" Damn i love that pic. Awesome blog Sin. Though I'm with K on the good bad boy part....tested the definitely not good bad boy...won't go back there... But the good bad boy,mysterious, dark and intense... and when you know that you're the one he's set his mind on...*sigh*

Sin said...

Great comments everyone!!

I agree, confidence is definitely different than arrogance, though I like a touch of arrogance. Something about the tilt of their chin, that look of stubborness in their eyes, yeah.. arrogance is good for me.

Thanks for the props on Ash's name. He told me to call him that. Yeah, I'm not crazy at all. LOL

Dee- you know I wouldn't leave you out! I can't wait for your opinion.

Sin said...

Harlot- Yeah, I raided my V pics for a good one to set up the bad boy. Shame on me... *giggle*

Lin said...

Harlot! Gotta love V... And that pic is definitely drool worthy. Yum!

Sin, you know me... Of course I had to check out the bad boy blog, *grin*.

Sin said...

Lin. *wicked grin* You love anything bad. LOL