Monday, December 31, 2007

Do Not Adjust Your Blog...

…the lack of resolution is not a mistake. There will be no resolutions, goal setting, revisiting the year or sappy bits of gratitude in this blog. Everyone in the blogisphere has more than covered these topics already and I even did the sappy bits of gratitude on my other blog here.

Today is about trying something new. Now, I don't mean because it's a new year lets say what new thing we are going to do this time around. What I mean is trying something new in writing. I've spent my weekend venturing way outside my comfort zone. A couple months ago an idea for a short story erotic romance popped into my head. It was brought on by the news that Samhain Publishing sent out an open submissions call for several anthologies planned for next year. The deadline is January 10 and as usual, I've put things off until the last minute.

But with the help of our trusty Captain, I made it past a block at the end of last week and the story took over during the weekend. I spent nearly eight hours writing something I had never written before – SEX. That's right, technically, I have never written a sex scene and now I've written two and a half. Yes, I left the poor souls in the middle of *it* so I could write this blog and get to bed. I'm one of the unfortunate ones who have to work today.

I posted a snippet of my first sex scene for some writer friends and the feedback has been pretty positive. Very positive in fact. They could just be shooting smoke up my ass, for which I am highly grateful, but I think I might be pretty good at this. Not great but pretty good.

This is one of the aspects I love about writing. Everytime I learn something new or write something I never thought I could pull off, it's like a high. It's a rush and it makes me want to write more. Call it momentum or delusions of grandeur but whatever it is, I like it.

What have you written that took you completely by surprise? What do you think you write best? What do you think you could never write in a million years? Tell us about a scene you wrote that made you sit back and say, "Oh yeah, that's good." And don't say that's never happened. Even if you hated the scene the next day, there was a time, maybe just a matter of minutes, when you loved it.

For fun, lets see if we have any brave souls who will take a stab at writing that thing they don't think they could ever do. Any takers? Come on, Pirates love a challenge!

13 comments:

Maggie Robinson said...

I have a whole chapter of evil flashbacks of evil sex with the evil villain...and I am really a nice girl. Who knew I was secretly so twisted and perverted?

Maggie Robinson said...

And happy birthday!

terrio said...

Evil sex, Maggie? That sounds...evil. And very naughty. I knew you had it in you. I mean that in a good way. *g*

And thanks. I wasn't going to mention that...LOL!

MsHellion said...

I really liked my death scene in Redemption, the first really crappy draft of the first manuscript I ever finished. Elizabeth dies mid-book, or well, about 2/3rds through--and Lucy has to deal with it. He doesn't deal well. He gets some Jack and broods and rails...and gets half-seduced by Elizabeth's friend, Lisa--then kicks her out. Then he throws the bottle at the wall and cries...and Elizabeth watches the whole thing from Heaven and cries.

Yeah, I really liked that scene when I first wrote it. *LOL*

MsHellion said...

Not mention your BIRTHDAY? How can we not mention your BIRTHDAY? It's always a celebration when someone turns 29 on the ship! Happy 29th BIRTHDAY, Boatswain!

terrio said...

That scene sounds awesome. Real drama and angst and high emotion. I hope to hell you keep that one.

And I knew there was a reason I liked you. 29, huh? Suuuuurrrreeee....

MsHellion said...

I don't think I'll get to keep it. The Lucy I have now is much different than the Lucy in the book. I don't know how I'd keep it, but I'd like to. *LOL* Oh, well, maybe the new incarnation will be better.

Janga said...

Happy day, birthday girl!

I have been rereading my wip today, so I am freshly aware of where I fall short. The love scenes in my wip are definitely more tender than steamy. I have tried the sizzle, but it is not my forte.

Humor is another weakness. I love books that make me laugh and cry. I would like to move my readers in this way, but I am better at evoking tears.

terrio said...

Thank you, Janga and thanks for the card. *g* Tears are always good. How many of us go to those sad, sappy movies just to cry?! Nicholas Sparks has made a career out of tears.

You have a gift - unique to you and a blessing to the rest of us. And I've seen you have humor, it's just the subtle, intelligent kind which is not the easiest thing to do.

Lissa said...

Great blog Terrio and Happy Birthday!

Congratulations on writing your first sex scenes, that was the most difficult scene I think I've ever written. I also can't imagine writing a historical romance. The dialog escapes me.

I'm a Nicholas Sparks follower. I too write emotional, tear jerking scenes very well. I'm at my happiest when my readers are thinking of buying stock in Kleenex:)

Sin said...

Happy birthday babe!

I dunno if I've ever written anything that I thought I couldn't write. I've written things that when I go back, I think.. "Wowza. Where the hell did that come from?" I never delete anything. I have a file folder in my documents that is filled with pieces and scenes I have written and haven't used. If I deleted it, I'd want it to use it. And then I'd want to kick my ass.

*hug* Happy New Year

irisheyes said...

Anything I write I'm pretty impressed with lately cause I'm not really that confident that I CAN write. I did a really funny (or at least what I thought was fairly funny) conversation between my heroine and her best friend that I was pretty impressed with recently.

I know love scenes are gonna be my big challenge.

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! You don't look a day over 28! It's amazing what the internet can do for your complexion!

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Marnee Jo said...

Wow, I'm late, as always, but I'm finally holiday-d out. It's been a wild week or so.

Happy Birthday Ter! :) 29?! Surely you aren't that old!!! *g*

I think that my favorite scene so far has been the first one of my Regency. My hero hits the heroine accidentally with a door and, because he's drunk, he kisses the heroine. It was fun to write.