Sunday, November 11, 2007

Shore Leave Leads to Priceless Booty

There's something to be said for pulling into port every once in a while. This weekend I attended my second conference in less than two months. (My local chapter conference and it was great!) With each of these excursions into Romancelandia, I become more excited about pursuing the dream of publishing. I've worked in many fields (besides being a Pirate, of course) and I have to say authors are some of the most gracious, genuine and generous people.

As was pointed out Saturday, publishing is a competitive business with a large number of writers vying for a small number of slots. Publishers have thousands of manuscripts to choose from. It would be understandable for authors not to offer advice, not to help new aspiring authors who could eventually take their spot. But that's not what writers do. They help. They counsel. They support and encourage.

Also talked about was how getting published, like most anything else, can be a matter of luck. For instance, your manuscript may be the best one that showed up in an editor's office that day, but if it doesn't get to the right person or perhaps the manuscript two before yours caught the editor's eye and she stopped there, your talent as a writer had nothing to do with you not getting chosen. Being in the right place at the right time can make all the difference.

So, what does this babble all mean? One, understand the competitive nature of this business but never let it change how you treat people. As Sherrilyn Kenyon said during a speech at the New Jersey conference (and I'm paraphrasing here), get to know the person next to you because that person could be unpublished today but a number one best seller tomorrow. And you could be a number one best seller today, but never sell another book. In other words, treat people the way you want to be treated – always. I think that's a necessary philosophy for life in general but let's keep this on writing. *g*

Two, never pass up a chance to network, to talk to other authors or professionals in the industry, to learn about your craft. You may write five fantastic novels that could fly off the shelves and make everyone say "JK who?" but if no one ever sees them, they'll live for eternity under your bed with all those dust bunnies and that Playgirl magazine you shoved under there and forgot about. Take chances. Pitch and submit as often as possible. Get feedback whenever you can, take what works and ignore the rest. But most of all, don't expect an editor to show up at your door with a contract saying they smelled a best seller and tracked it to your address.

What have you learned since jumping on this roller coaster ride? Have you taken chances, put yourself and your work out there? If not, what are you waiting for? If you’re a reader, have you met your favorite authors and if so, what did you take away from the experience? Just to be fair – if it was bad, let's not name names. LOL!

PS: I have to say Cathy Maxwell is wonderful. I was fortunate enough to not only get to hear her speak this weekend but to hang out and talk with her. She's funny, warm and a font of information when it comes to writing. I only caught twenty minutes of her workshop before I had to attend to something else, but I still learned a lesson I desperately needed regarding conflict. I'll be sure to share that in another blog. *g*

12 comments:

Lissa said...

I've learned to be a sponge!

I keep my ears open and my nose to the grindstone. I write when I don't feel like writing. I read to try to learn more how to perfect my writing.

And of course I think I have some great support in the frineds I have met before this blog and now:)
And excellent point Terrio. Never burn bridges and treat others with the same respect you want to receive. You never know who you might impress without even knowing.

Great blog:)

Marnee Jo said...

Great job, Terrio.

I think I've learned to regard myself as a writer, with all the good and bad that implies. It means some days I'm so excited to write, I feel like everything else is just getting in my way. And it means that other days writing feels like work. Not just work, that torturous work.

I haven't put anything out there yet because I'm still in my "production" phase. I feel like I want to spill it out there first, then let people read and revise after that.

terrio said...

Lissa - you hit it on the head. I can't tell you how many times one sentence from an author or agent has taught me more than an entire book on writing. Or even talking to a friend about plot and they say, "You're going to have to have them do ____". The light bulb goes off and the story takes off again.

Marnee - to be honest, I'm still in the production phase myself but it doesn't hurt to write a scene you really put your heart into then let someone you trust have a quick look. Sometimes it's good to know you're on the right track or they can point out something you do and don't notice. Then you can fix it going forward instead of finishing and having to fix it through 400 pages.

MsHellion said...

I've met Cathy Maxwell as well--at a Chapter meeting--and she was awesome. Gracious, generous, et al...and funny. Lord, was that woman funny!

Great job on recapping the Golden Rule. :) We should all do that more, no matter what career we're in.

Except for the following people: Todd Lowrey, Chris Roberts, Keith... Oh, I guess we're not supposed to pick and choose are we? Hey, I'm still learning....

terrio said...

Yes, Cap'n, I'm pretty sure the Golden Rule does not come with exceptions. LOL!

But how can I expect pirates to follow rules? How silly of me!

Sin said...

I agree with what Marnee and Lis has both said. I've learned that perseverance is my best bet if I want to be a writer. I try not to put much stock in all the rules from the early on, too much doesn't allow me the freedom to just write. Rules can be applied later on and there is something to be said about breaking the rules. I'm a rule bender- always have been, always will be.

Eventually I will have to put myself out there (Spring Fling, anyone?) and talk. Talking is the hardest thing for me, considering I'm shy enough that speaking to a total stranger, no matter if they are the one that will help me get published or not, is rather painful and causes me to feel nauseous. So, I will resolve to be a social butterfly and fake it to the best of my ability.

Great blog, Ter!

TiffinaC said...

I f only I had more time...alas I do not... I've learned a lot since writing. And I wish I could have known some of the stuff I know now, way back when...sigh...

MsHellion said...

What I Learned by Hellion

1. If you don't love your characters, no one else will either. Don't write to trend ONLY because you think it will sell. Soulless pieces never work out.

2. Some things are slower to learn than others. Sometimes you have to have 30, or 300 people tell you the same thing before you go, "MAYBE they have a point." It doesn't mean if it feels totally wrong to change it to how "they" think it should be--but maybe you should try to find the compromise that makes you and them happy.

3. Writing is a "alone" process, but you don't have to be alone. In the end, you have to sit down and write; but you can always come away after a semi-victorious day of writing and consult with other writers who are doing the same thing.

4. I'm with that writer that says: "House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day."

terrio said...

Alas, I've been a terrible hostess today. Been out of the house since morning. So much for enjoying my day off.

Tiff - wouldn't that be great, to have started out already ahead in the knowledge department? The amazing thing is no matter how much you learn, there's still lots more you haven't.

Hellion - Number 1 is exactly right. We started the conference asking an editor and agent what's hot then after they left determined that's a load of bull. You write a good story, a best seller no matter what year you set it, where you set it or how different you make it, someone will buy it. Write the book YOU want to write.

I'm an example of that number 2. It's good to fight for your story but at some point you have to stop holding onto scenes that just don't work. *g*

Maggie Robinson said...

Just as a complete aside, I may not always comment, but I love to read your piratical tirades. You ladies cleverly link as much pirate goodness (or should I say badness?) to all your stuff. I respect the clever wordplay and bow to your bounty.

What have I learned? That I should be writing, even when I don't feel like it.

terrio said...

We love to have you, Maggie. Even if you just lurk in the waters off the starboard bow. LOL! I'm a terrible pirate since I have no idea if I said that right.

Write, write, write...that is sort of the first rule to go by.

MsHellion said...

Of course, now Maggie has thrown down the gauntlet and I'm going to have to think of something Pirate-ess to say tomorrow. Eek!