Thursday, October 4, 2007

Cat-O-Nine Tip of the Day

Nothing profound. If you want profound, read Sin's blog again, then fake your way happily through your current chapter in progress. What are you doing, shirking about on blogs when you should be writing anyway? What do you think this is anyway? A bloody cruise?

Here are your inspirations...pirated straight out of an email about writing quotations.

Often I'll find clues to where the story might go by figuring out where the characters would rather not go.
~Doug Lawson

A story has been thought to its conclusion when it has taken its worst possible turn.
~Friedrich Durrenmatt

Cat-o-Nine Writing Tip of the Day: make your characters suffer. Give them a boat, then blow holes in it. Make them captain, mutiny, then maroon them on an island. (*gimlet stare at Sin and BSTerrio* Don't be gettin' any ideas!) Send your single character out on a date, then have the date turn out to be a pig killer with video feeds. Suffering makes character. Remember that.

Now get back to writing.

Tomorrow, Powder Monkey Lisa will blog about the merits of...I'm not sure really. Does anyone have any idea what PM Lisa will be talking about? No? Well, that's a bit frightening, isn't it? She could talk about anything then...

Well, who said there wasn't any danger in pirating?

6 comments:

Lin said...

*Trying to think of ways to make my characters suffer*

Considering I'm not a real writer and the only stuff I write is sex without plot, making them suffer might not be the best idea... *having mental images of the Cat-O-Nine*

...On second thought... A little pain and suffering can be a very good thing. :D

Seriously, though. Great blog and great advice! If I ever have a go at writing something real, this is exactly what I'll try to do.

MsHellion said...

Delayed gratification is great character growth, Lin. I say make your characters suffer. They'll thank you later!

terrio said...

I've literally knocked my heroine on her ass three times. She's seriously bruised her hip, skinned up her knee, broken a heel and worst of all, suffered considerable damage to her pride.

My hero has been the cause of all of these tumbles and he doesn't know it yet, but he'll be making her fall in a totally different way here very soon. *g*

Love this blog!!! But what do you mean you don't know what PM Lisa is blogging about? Is your compass not working? LOL!

MsHellion said...

My compass works fine. *affronted look*

TiffinaC said...

suffering is good... it builds character :D love the title, meant to say so yesterday... you know where my mind is...

Sin said...

I'm always a day late!

And even to a blog where I write!

*shaking head sadly*

As always Hellion, I bow to your infinity wisdom of the cat-o-nines and sufferin'.

Or in other words, blowin' holes in your ship and laughing about it the entire time while the characters flounder about squawking about how they can't swim. How's that for sufferin'? In honor of my capt'n I'll even add a few sharks and no pen to get a phone number.

*grin*