Friday, September 6, 2013

Dreams…

Yeah, I know we be looking ta go our separate ways soon, and sail off on new adventures on our own, but I thought today…we could dream a bit…

About the ideal place to go, and who to go with. But being writers…where would we go and with what writer…

And to make it extra fun…

1)    Real place, living author as guide/mentor/best buddy.

2)   Real place, dead author as guide/mentor/best buddy.

3)   Fictional place, living or dead author as guide/mentor/best buddy.

Now, what sparked this idea? Terri’s posting of a dream workshop being offered by Eloisa James. In Italy, ten days long. Yeah, really...go look.

Which, I admit, is tasty sounding.

Got me thinking…where would I go and with who?

Being a big reader of fantas/scifi stuff…I sorta had a difficulty. Since Middle Earth isn’t real…or the myriad of other worlds I’ve trod across with a fav author… I had to work my imagination!

So… My picks, and why

1)    Tuscany, with Francis Mayes. Why? Okay, I admit, I haven’t read the book, but I did see the movie, and it seemed to me that she would be a fabulous guide to the Italian countryside. And I have a feeling…that for what I write…I’d get more out of wandering about, talking writing with her than with Eloisa. (As much as Eloisa is a darling…I don’t write real history. But I do like to dive into the sort of memoir that Mayes wrote.)

2)   Ah…this was fun… And difficult! Alaska, with Jack London? New York/New Jersey with Walt Whitman? The South Pacific with James Michener… The Mississippi with Mark Twain… Ireland with Maeve Binchey… Too many to pick from! (And yes, all authors I feel I could learn a great deal from!)

3)   Oddly enough, I’m not going to go with the obvious. Nope, not Middle Earth with Tolkien. I think I’d have to go with the Foundation Universe, with Isaac Asimov. Though the Chicago of Harry Dresden with James Butcher is tempting…

4)   And just for grins, I’m gonna add one more… Fictional place/fictional character. Book or movie!

Commander Taylor and Terra Nova! (Though my alternate might be the Caribbean, with Jack. Or Hector!)

 


And with that, I get my hottie of the day in!

 
So, readers, writers…visitors… Let’s hear your four answers!

13 comments:

Marnee Bailey said...

1) Real Place, real person. I'd go to London, with JK Rowling. WHat a master and genius. I could learn so much from her.

2) Real place, dead person. I'd want to hang out with Ben Franklin, here in the Philadelphia area. His autobiography makes me laugh and I'd love to hear his take on the places I go all the time.

3) Fictional place, living or dead person. I'm not sure. I need to think about this one.

Maureen said...

Good choices!! I especially like Beb!

Janga said...

1. Real place, living author as guide/mentor/best buddy: The Greek Islands with Mary Stewart--I fell in love with the Greek settings of Stewart’s My Brother Michael, The Moon Spinners, and This Rough Magic when I was young, and I still reread them several decades later. She’s 97 now, so the idea of her as a guide is far-fetched, but this is fantasy, right? I’m sure she has fascinating stories to tell, and I would be awestruck in her presence.

2. Real place, dead author as guide/mentor/best buddy: Prince Edward Island with Lucy Maud Montgomery—My sister and I both bought copies of Anne of Green Gables for our Kindles not long ago, and we talked about the fact that we have been reading the Anne books almost all of our lives. Our mother loved them and introduced us to them as soon as we could read, and we were early readers. I’d love to visit Green Gables, Avonlea, the Haunted Wood, and other Anne sites with LMM.

3. Fictional place, living or dead author as guide/mentor/best buddy: Paradise with Dante—do I really need to explain this one? I just want to visit though. I’m not through on earth yet.

4. Fictional place/fictional character as guide/mentor/best buddy: Hogwarts with Dumbledore for obvious reasons.

Maureen said...

Oh, yeah...the Greek Isles with Mary...that would be wonderful. I read all of her books. Loved how she spun magic but so subtly that no one screamed bloody murder about it...

And I can totally see the Anne of Green Gables trip. No, never read the books, but any story so beloved by so many has to be magical.

Sneaky, that...Paradise with Dante... I saw that!

And yeah, Hogwarts with Dumbledore would be a great one...

And wow, I don't think I realize MS was still alive...good for her!

Hellie Sinclair said...

Sorry, Mo, but I'm going to be way predictable here. *LOL*

1.) Scotland/JK Rowling
2.) England/Jane Austen (though Mark Twain and Maeve are definitely runners up here)
3.) Hogwarts/JK Rowling
4.) Hogwarts/Snape--mostly so I could get my little professor fantasy going. :)

Oh, even if I was predictable, this was fun. *LOL*

Maureen said...

To be perfectly honest, if I were gonna tour Hogwarts, I'd probably go for Snape, too. Just for that voice.

I thought you might like the Twain one...

Maureen said...

And I'm off fer a talking ta with me doctor. Be back in less than 2 hours, crew!

Terri Osburn said...

What a fun blog. Yes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the Italy trip. So far, it's looking good.

Real place, living author – I think a tour around Connecticut and Martha's Vineyard would be a blast with Kristan Higgins. My cheeks would hurt from all the laughter, and she's the perfect expert on the area. Plus, she could take me by the firehouse.

Real place, dead author – This one is hard. I'd probably say the Mississippi with Twain as well. The scenery wouldn't be nearly as good as the company, I'm guessing.

Fictional place, living or dead author – How about Neverland with J.M. Barrie. I could be a Lost Boy and after we defeat Hook, I can become the new Pirate Queen.

P. Kirby said...

1. London or anywhere UK-ish with J.K. Rowling
2. European tour with Mark Twain.
3. Tie. Firefly/Serenity 'verse with Joss Whedon OR world(s) of Sandman (the Endless) with Neil Gaiman.
4. Anywhere in the Nine Realms, playing partner in crime to Loki, Tom Hiddleston version, of course.

Marnee Bailey said...

Ter - I love Neverland with JM Barrie. Or Narnia with CS Lewis. :)

Terri Osburn said...

Too much real fighting in Narnia. LOL!

Maureen said...

Ter, I want to tagalong on the Kristin Higgins one. Because I love to laugh.

A lost boy....good one!

Maureen said...

P. Kirby - You little minx...going to plot with Loki?